aliens

Author Topic: Bugs & Crash Reports  (Read 1433810 times)

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs & Crash Reports
« Reply #510 on: May 03, 2016, 01:51:41 pm »
Assuming it's a bug.
Soldier can berserk shoot while both hands full with a weapon that normally requires you to have an off hand free in order for it to be used.
In the example save the soldier goes berserk and offloads quarter of a magazine of Bossar while having a zapper equipped in the other hand.

It's working as I intended.
When I added true 2-handed weapons, the question came up and the decision was:

Applies only to:
- your soldiers under your control
- enemy under your control

Doesn't apply to:
- your soldiers under enemy control
- your soldiers panicking/berserking
- enemy under enemy control

Offline Xtendo-com

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: May 03, 2016, 02:31:21 pm »
Soldier can berserk shoot while both hands full with a weapon that normally requires you to have an off hand free in order for it to be used.
It's should be a feature since in berserk state you don't care about pain and you has a lot of negative brutal energy to spend. I has an idea that in berserk mode your unit should run blindly into enemy instead of random shoot in case of no line of sight. Shooting to your own soldiers is ridiculous for me.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 02:35:11 pm by Xtendo-com »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #512 on: May 03, 2016, 02:33:45 pm »
Also, the AI would be too stupid to understand why it can't fire :)

2. STR_CRACKDOWN_LESSER is listed in the missions but has no STR obviously.

...where? what? Does it show on HWD screen somewhere?

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: May 03, 2016, 02:48:13 pm »
1. There is a part of some strange clickable field/button showing at the left corner of the Battle generator. It seems to have no function.

That's the slider for alien tech level... which can't handle that PirateZ has only one tech level. Slider works correctly only with 2 options or more.

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: May 03, 2016, 02:51:54 pm »
That's the slider for alien tech level... which can't handle that PirateZ has only one tech level. Slider works correctly only with 2 options or more.

ok thanks.

...where? what? Does it show on HWD screen somewhere?

nope only in the Battle Generator.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #515 on: May 03, 2016, 02:53:53 pm »
Well, it does handle the problem - it disables itself instead of crashing the game :)

STR_CRACKDOWN_LESSER it's a rump deployment used by per-race deployment customization code (by Yankes). Better don't select it in QB.

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: May 03, 2016, 02:59:49 pm »
Ok, never intended to, just wanted to report the missing STR.  :)

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: May 03, 2016, 09:26:47 pm »
I'll try to save before intercepting and see if I can reproduce it! That would be a good bug to squash...

So, I spent almost 2 hours on this trying to reproduce.
I had about 20-30 interceptions and was patiently saving before each one.
Eventually I got the buggy behaviour... I had a save and reloaded to see if it still happens... and it did.
I reloaded a few more times just to be sure and could reproduce it every time.
Then I turned off the game and went on debugging in visual studio with my precious save.... but nothing!
So, I started the game again, just to see if I'm crazy... and nothing, very same game, very same save, no save scumming.

I believe this must be some sort of memory leak or something similar... cos this is frikkin' irreproducible!

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: May 03, 2016, 09:48:06 pm »
Hum.. I failed to make a proper save. I get a bunch of warnings when I compile, I'll try to pay attention. I know there are a few instances of "this variable will not be reset or deleted" warnings, which depending on where they occur, might be interesting to look into.

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: May 04, 2016, 10:35:42 am »
And it would be even more interesting and less immersion breaking if it were consistent across the entire map. :)

Maybe it would, maybe it wouldn't (imagine checking every f*kken cave with increased move cost). The gist is, fixing this stuff requires a few hours of work. I'll rather use my time doing something I care about.

I have to admit I liked it for a while, but there are large maps where you have to spend too many turns just to reach a single enemy in the far corner, which slows the game down too much AND it gives ranged combat too much importance. Melee is simply a no-go on those maps unless you spend a lot of time for reaching that lone small unit instead of simply sending a mortar round. I can make a mcd-patch rulfile to change the TU cost back to default if anyone/Dioxine wants it.

edit: i checked all the terrain mcd files and there seems to be a simple cause to all the strange TU behaviour: Certain tiles do have their tile-type set to 3 when it should be 0.

took me about 30 minutes of scrolling through 97 mcd files....  :P

A fix/change should be doable in ~5 minutes.

EDIT: ATTACHED FIX

please report to me if I have missed a tile, I will add it then asap. I think I have found all, though.

I hope this works, I am not entirely sure If I got the logic of those MCD files right. I saw that other (default) terrain type 3 files had their TU-costs at zero, the conflicting ones had theirs set to 4, so I set them in the mcd-patch^ to 0, which hopefully fixes them. No guarantee, though. Please report any findings here.

small update: corrected file to UPPERCASE labels, not sure if it's needed, but better safe than sorry.
small update 2: found one more terrain with TU costs bug
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 06:02:54 pm by new_civilian »

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: May 04, 2016, 01:14:24 pm »
^I will check when I get home. TY in advance!! It was a pain.

Offline a0kribu

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: May 04, 2016, 03:25:30 pm »
This is rather odd.
Mind controlled Osiron Security has 12% aimed shot with Gauss Sniper which is not consistent with his firing accuracy stat nor is it consistent with his accuracy on the Heavy Gauss.
Save attached.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: May 04, 2016, 03:47:23 pm »
This is rather odd.
Mind controlled Osiron Security has 12% aimed shot with Gauss Sniper which is not consistent with his firing accuracy stat nor is it consistent with his accuracy on the Heavy Gauss.
Save attached.

This in fact is correct behavior. Sniper gauss determines skill as (firing squared x .1%) not straight skill. 30x30 is 900x.01=9 then times accuracy for firing mode. 9 effective skill times 1.4 for aimed=12.6. Round down 12.

Most pure sniper guns follow this behavior. The intent is to make them a specialized tool rather then a high damage high TU rifle. The fireing squared times 1% makes the weapon really bad for low skil units without hindering high skill units.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 03:52:55 pm by legionof1 »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #523 on: May 04, 2016, 05:19:55 pm »
Also, you play on the kid's difficulty, which cuts enemies Firing stat down to nothing (and their armor by half). This makes enemies unqualified to use any kind of sniping weapon.

Offline a0kribu

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: May 05, 2016, 02:20:45 am »
Well the first game I attempted was Veteran ended in 8 hours flat. :3