Author Topic: Bugs & Crash Reports  (Read 1434123 times)

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs & Crash Reports
« Reply #3285 on: June 23, 2019, 10:40:03 pm »
Don't use night vision to find out who is in the light and who isn't.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3286 on: June 23, 2019, 10:47:14 pm »
Also, is it intentional that we don't have clear indication of who is in darkness and who isn't?

Yes.

Don't use night vision to find out who is in the light and who isn't.

Night vision doesn't say absolutely anything about units being visible or not.
Night vision is used to draw explored TERRAIN in dark monochrome color instead of just pure black. It also highlights your units, regardless of any light conditions.

If it helps, compare it to xcom2012 night missions, it is quite similar.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 10:49:12 pm by Meridian »

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3287 on: June 24, 2019, 01:19:23 am »
Yes, so do not use it, in other words turn it off, to see who is actually standing in the light.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3288 on: June 25, 2019, 04:30:44 am »
Yeah spartans are one the groups of foes that share LOS info and some of there units have quite good NV.

Lighting state(day/night) is unfortunately something the engine fails to communicate well, and rebuilding/remaking the UI to add in all the missing elements for new features is not something any OXCE engine developer has yet taken up. And honestly for multi project compatibility reasons, may never.

Offline Eddie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3289 on: June 25, 2019, 10:38:34 pm »
Is it just me, or spartans in this very early mission (survivalists) have grossly larger night vision than I do? I was shot by a scout from about 25 tiles away and kept getting pounded from all sides not even seeing who does it (I even turned off L lights, even that didn't help). Do they share their targets (as in if one sees a gal, they all do)? Also, is it intentional that we don't have clear indication of who is in darkness and who isn't?

This needs some explaining, as the mechanic at work is *very* unintuitive.

What you experience is the sniper/spotter mechanic. Spartan scouts have the *spotter* poroperty. If they get a glimps of one of your units, they know their location for x amount of turns (usually 2 or 3). No matter if they actually see them, they know the location. You can stand in complete darkness 40 tiles away and they still know the location. They have map hack on your unit.
Next: hitting a spotter enabled unit with a ranged weapon enables the spotter behaviour. You can shoot the spartan scout in the back from 40 tiles away, standing in complete darkness. If the shot connects, the scout sees the unit that made the shot.

Now to do some actual shooting or grenade throwing, the unit must have the *sniper* property. That is a value of for example 33%. This means that unit has a 33% chance to shoot at a target it can not see, but a spotter has knowledge of.
What I'm unsure about is if killing a spotter cancels the knowledge of your unit, but I would assume that is the case. Not sure if unconcious does the same.

As far as I know there is no way in game to find out which units are sniper/spotter. You have to look in the ruleset.

Bottom line, night mission or smoke tactics won't protect you from beeing shot at with sniper/spotter enemies.

Offline Hadza

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3290 on: June 30, 2019, 12:47:41 am »
Snip/spot

I see, thanks for a good explanation! I might have been spotted, yeah.
Ouch, this mechanic is actually terrifying. You shoot at some pesky scout and get your butt kicked by the entire map in return. Harsh.

Is it early WIP or something? Makes me wonder why is it never mentioned in bootypedia. My gals almost got decimated by the field gun from one of those highwaymen camps and the only thing that saved them was that I backed up the save. Now I know that it fires back at the one who shot it.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 01:42:36 pm by Hadza »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #3291 on: June 30, 2019, 02:10:45 pm »
I see, thanks for a good explanation! I might have been spotted, yeah.
Ouch, this mechanic is actually terrifying. You shoot at some pesky scout and get your butt kicked by the entire map in return. Harsh.

Is it early WIP or something? Makes me wonder why is it never mentioned in bootypedia. My gals almost got decimated by the field gun from one of those highwaymen camps and the only thing that saved them was that I backed up the save. Now I know that it fires back at the one who shot it.

What's so strange in this? You have squadsight, why AI should not? The AI also always used this mechanics, but only to launch blaster bombs and use PSI. What is new is only making AI use it for normal attacks as well, if certain preconditions are met.

Also don't post questions about mechanics in bugreports.

Offline jungybrogan

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3292 on: June 30, 2019, 08:34:32 pm »
It's June 2602 and I've only ever encountered werewolves once (Blood Ritual).  Is there a way to spawn them or encounter them again? 

The 5 werewolves I initially captured could only be butchered, after all the required taming research. Is werewolf taming bugged period, or is it exclusive to initial captures only?

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
  • Pet Lokk'Nar 9,99 $/hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #3293 on: July 01, 2019, 03:01:03 pm »
Werewolves spawn only for the mission "Blood Rituals" and you either roll Cunny Gals / Doom Guys or Werewolves.

It's entirely RNG which enemy team you'll get but the werewolves are the best payoff since you can capture the entire bunch with flying armor and cattle prods.

There's no way to get a specifique spawn. Roll the dices.

misterx

« Reply #3294 on: July 02, 2019, 01:19:43 pm »
Werewolves spawn only for the mission "Blood Rituals" and you either roll Cunny Gals / Doom Guys or Werewolves.

It's entirely RNG which enemy team you'll get but the werewolves are the best payoff since you can capture the entire bunch with flying armor and cattle prods.

There's no way to get a specifique spawn. Roll the dices.

By the end of 2602 i only encoutered werewolves (in my 4 or 5th game started from scratch) so i guess either i wae extremely unlucky or pheraphs the enemies in that mission need to be more "randomized"

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3295 on: July 02, 2019, 01:37:41 pm »
By the end of 2602 i only encoutered werewolves (in my 4 or 5th game started from scratch) so i guess either i wae extremely unlucky or pheraphs the enemies in that mission need to be more "randomized"

The enemies in that mission are perfectly randomized. Which is exactly why you've only seen one type.
Unless "randomized" (with quotation marks) means something different than randomized. :P

Offline jungybrogan

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3296 on: July 03, 2019, 08:10:10 pm »
Blood rituals themselves seem to spawn rarely.  They almost never show up outside of the early game, meanwhile, Guild outpost missions occur so frequently that I sometimes get multiples on the world map.  Perhaps Werewolves should have a chance to spawn in a ground raiding party, like the raiders, or randomly as a lone unit during missions (like black cats sometimes appearing in cellar/overworld missions)? 

Has anyone gotten past the only butcherable issue and successfully tamed one?  Are they named units or auxiliaries? 

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
  • Pet Lokk'Nar 9,99 $/hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #3297 on: July 03, 2019, 08:44:31 pm »
Has anyone gotten past the only butcherable issue and successfully tamed one?  Are they named units or auxiliaries?

Tamed Werewolves are AUX units, using a HWP slot in your craft.
So far you can only "train" bloodhounds and dogs (in case they're named)

Offline Ashghan

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3298 on: July 03, 2019, 10:05:48 pm »
erhaps Werewolves should have a chance to spawn [...] randomly as a lone unit during missions (like black cats sometimes appearing in cellar/overworld missions)?

Now I'm thinking of making the diggable room in the cellar contain a very alive and very pissed werewolf. Kinda like the Hidden Fun Stuff in Dwarf Fortress.

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3299 on: July 04, 2019, 12:32:46 am »
Like a were...something in Dwarf Fortress that someone walled in. The fortress around them may die, but they won't.