aliens

Author Topic: Bugs & Crash Reports  (Read 1434012 times)

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs & Crash Reports
« Reply #2640 on: August 23, 2018, 03:08:04 am »
Never seen desintegrated tanks though, too much HP on them, and 4 tile units might even be not subject to this mechanic.

Tanks and other large units can in fact be overkilled and leave no corpse just like with small units.  That might be one possible explanation for the lack of wrecks.

Offline Vansi

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: August 23, 2018, 04:16:11 am »
Also if its a base defence then enemies are most likely sporting plasma or gauss weaponry, and those score so much damage that body can just desintegrate - its an actual OXCE mechanic.
Never seen desintegrated tanks though, too much HP on them, and 4 tile units might even be not subject to this mechanic.

Tanks and other large units can in fact be overkilled and leave no corpse just like with small units.  That might be one possible explanation for the lack of wrecks.

In previous situation when enemy tanks didn't leave wrecks I destroyed them mainly with tank/autocannon (120 dmg) and recoiless rifle (125dmg) and it reqiured several hits. I just had a base defence and my tank was destroyed in single hit by plasma scorcher and there was a wreck. But on the other hand I have right now supply ship mission, so I took tank for experimentation with nukes. In 3 attempts tank hit by nuke left wreck only once. So it may be a reason or not. Hard to tell.       

Offline sanyaskillpro

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: August 23, 2018, 04:33:29 pm »
So an armored car can drive up the stairs on this 4-way pyramid you find in some underground missions. But it cannot drive back down, which makes it stuck on the top.
If details matter, the car is piloted\gal\HMG. The mission is archeological dig.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #2643 on: August 23, 2018, 05:59:06 pm »
So it may be a reason or not. Hard to tell.     

I'd definitely say it is overkill mechanics. I checked the settings, and to be vapped, a tank needs to take a hit which takes it to -50% max HP; definitely possible with plasma scorcher or nuke, or even autocannon (if after previous hit, the tank had 20 HP and you hit it for 150). I thought you knew about overkill...

So an armored car can drive up the stairs on this 4-way pyramid you find in some underground missions. But it cannot drive back down, which makes it stuck on the top.
If details matter, the car is piloted\gal\HMG. The mission is archeological dig.

A tank getting stuck in catacombs does not sound like a bug. Grab a pickaxe.

Offline Ashghan

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: August 23, 2018, 08:23:29 pm »
Are the piloted X, Y and Z-Sectopod Bootypedia entries (and their weapons as well) locked behind some research other than their original %-Sectopod topic? I know they are there, because the Bootypedia in Debug mode shows them, but they are not available after appropriate research.

Offline Vansi

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: August 23, 2018, 10:54:11 pm »
I'd definitely say it is overkill mechanics. I checked the settings, and to be vapped, a tank needs to take a hit which takes it to -50% max HP; definitely possible with plasma scorcher or nuke, or even autocannon (if after previous hit, the tank had 20 HP and you hit it for 150). I thought you knew about overkill...
I only know things I observe or read about them in tips. And I would like right now straight answer - is the thing with not leaving wreck (tanks) or corpse (my Loknar pilot) definitely settled as expected game mechanics or this is a bug and I need provide more examples?   

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: August 24, 2018, 12:24:11 am »
There is a valid expected mechanism for this particular result, overkill. However this is an unfinished mod on an ever evolving engine. Bringing up such questions is a good thing.

Offline LytaRyta

• Colonel
  • Lisbeth ;p My Engrish is easy bad, Csaba is dead!
    • View Profile
    • svetmightandmagic.cz
« Reply #2647 on: August 24, 2018, 05:19:41 pm »

:o lol, so this ("drive-up" fahr. up the stairs - is definitely feature, not bug ;D :p

but anyway, i´m still curious - was, is it intended, or just "random feature, by-product function (of tansk, big (quadru-foot, 4-wheels) vehicle? ? :S

but anyway 2:  if the tank could have drive´n up the stair, (he) it WOULD, could be possoble also "drive -down the stairs", doesnt ?  ..or ?

lůl

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #2648 on: August 24, 2018, 06:54:19 pm »
Are the piloted X, Y and Z-Sectopod Bootypedia entries (and their weapons as well) locked behind some research other than their original %-Sectopod topic? I know they are there, because the Bootypedia in Debug mode shows them, but they are not available after appropriate research.

This is a question about Tanks&Cars submod, please ask the author - I simply don't know.

I only know things I observe or read about them in tips. And I would like right now straight answer - is the thing with not leaving wreck (tanks) or corpse (my Loknar pilot) definitely settled as expected game mechanics or this is a bug and I need provide more examples?

No, this is an expected behaviour. Although I can understand it looks confusing on tanks since the vaporization animation is less obvious than on humanoid units.

Offline cc

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: August 24, 2018, 08:24:39 pm »
The way the mod works, fake research topics are created to provide a different name for the Ufopaedia than elsewhere. The Ufopaedia topics are then unlocked by the correct research - except for the sectopods, where they're unlocked by the impossible-to-research ones. Go to ruleset_secto.rul and remove the _SUIT in the requires: section of all the ufopaedia: section entries.

And no, I don't know why the mod was constructed that way. My guess would be the author only recently found out about the cost 0 + dependencies trick.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 08:36:03 pm by cc »

Offline LuigiWhatif

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2650 on: August 24, 2018, 11:04:02 pm »
I'm getting a crash with a segmentation fault in the rat cellar mission.  It occurs when I have the archer shoot the further away rat.  Ironman save.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: August 24, 2018, 11:40:15 pm »
I'm getting a crash with a segmentation fault in the rat cellar mission.  It occurs when I have the archer shoot the further away rat.  Ironman save.

Thanks for the report... looks like an obstacle indicator related crash... trying to highlight an obstacle outside of map boundaries (above the map, along a steep parabola).

I'll fix it for next OXCE+ version.

PS: for now, try to do arc shots in a a less claustrophobic environment ;)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 11:43:44 pm by Meridian »

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: August 25, 2018, 01:44:47 am »
I can understand it looks confusing on tanks since the vaporization animation is less obvious than on humanoid units.

It's not confusing to me, the tank darkens and then disappears with no remains.  Looks like vaporization to me.

Offline sanyaskillpro

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: August 25, 2018, 11:30:39 am »
Sunday town spawns black cats. If a cat is killed by a funky zombie you get a normal full sized human zombie. Maybe make the cats non-zombifiable, or if it's not possible maybe remove them from this mission.

Offline Vansi

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: August 25, 2018, 08:05:53 pm »
No, this is an expected behaviour. Although I can understand it looks confusing on tanks since the vaporization animation is less obvious than on humanoid units.

It's not confusing to me, the tank darkens and then disappears with no remains.  Looks like vaporization to me.

I dare to say that I have never seen vaporization animation. Just standard death animation, when unit rotates, fall flat to the ground and vanish without remains. But maybe I wasn't paying enough attention, so I will drop it for now.   

And maybe vaporization animation should be more dramatic and obvious to avoid confusion?