aliens

Author Topic: Bugs & Crash Reports  (Read 1434945 times)

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs & Crash Reports
« Reply #1170 on: November 16, 2016, 11:41:18 pm »
It will run only with oxce+ 3.3
3.5 will not be compatible and will require a new piratez release.

Didnt know there was a difference between oxce+ and oxce.

Also bug report for Dioxine:

The metal grate stairs still sound like "water splashing" when walking up them, while some other tiles such as the metal walkway in front of the blue warehouse (warehouse wars) sound metallic like they should.

If it was left that way because of the metal staircases in underwater maps, I honestly dont think anyone is going to mind if they sound like metal stomping even underwater.

And with that, a suggestion while im still reminded of it:
Something that has always irked me about xcom is the inability of xcom agents or anything else to Climb up ruined structures. Like someone blows up a grenade and destroys a staircase, you cannot get up there now. While in real life (and based on the demands of the game to finish off all targets) people would find a way to do it. Some maps have buildings that can only be surmounted by one staircase.

The way that could be fixed is, having staircases not completely unusable, and retain their same walkability when destroyed, maybe even make them go through 3 phases of destruction so it takes alot of foolish demolitions to remove that capacity. Just that, the TU cost of moving on that staircase goes through the roof, like 30 TU then 50 TU. This simulates the soldier climbing up ruined stairs, though in reality it would probably take multiple turns to do so the game mechanics just arent available.

Which reminds me of the wooden staircases in the domestic/resort maps that completely disappear even if you just shoot them with a rifle.

Definitely an MCD issue, and thus could be turned into a standard mod as well, though for the best chips would include levels of visible destruction.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 11:48:43 pm by RSSwizard »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1171 on: November 17, 2016, 12:30:30 am »
A very good idea with the stairs, but it'd require an insane amount of work, modifying ALL the maps, ALL the tilesets... I'll pass. Bright side, it makes flying suits vital in any build.

Also, which metal stairs are bugged? On which map?

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: November 17, 2016, 01:27:00 am »
A very good idea with the stairs, but it'd require an insane amount of work, modifying ALL the maps, ALL the tilesets... I'll pass. Bright side, it makes flying suits vital in any build.
yeah it was more of a public suggestion

bugged staircases: All the metal staircases in the adapted tftd port terror map blocks, such as the ones on the outside of buildings

Offline Ashghan

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: November 17, 2016, 06:57:36 pm »
Oh, this reminds me - the same map type. There's a building like a small, two-story tower with it's stairs pre-destroyed (not usable from the start), yet it is a spawn point for enemies. Once it took me 20 turns of running around with 4 aye-phones (only ones I had) to pinpoint it as the hiding spot of a last enemy (a humanist I think) that just refused to leave the building. If I had no a-p's (and no flying armors) I probably would have to abort, having no way to find that soldier. A fix would be either to make the stairs usable or remove the spawnpoint from the building. I'll attach a screenshot if I see the building.

Offline Dyne

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: November 17, 2016, 11:02:37 pm »
Love the mod, awesome work.

Trouble: game crashes to desktop on attempting to assemble FORTUNA.
Any known cures?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1175 on: November 17, 2016, 11:09:45 pm »
Love the mod, awesome work.

Trouble: game crashes to desktop on attempting to assemble FORTUNA.
Any known cures?

Yes, there's a bug in the ruleset, was already reported a few times.

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: November 18, 2016, 04:11:33 am »
I just randomly didn't get information on a weapon through a gun almanac, is that a bug or is it possible to just not get a get one free?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1177 on: November 18, 2016, 09:39:21 am »
I need a save to be able to say something constructive.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
  • Pet Lokk'Nar 9,99 $/hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: November 18, 2016, 10:40:07 pm »
@Khade

I could have the conclusion: If you researched a gun AND researched the almanach at the same time and both finished the same day, you got the result for the normal gun research AND with bad luck you got the almanach to research you the exact same gun, losing you the free entry.

Offline Drasnighta

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: November 18, 2016, 11:14:58 pm »
I need a save to be able to say something constructive.

...  I legitimately enjoy almost everything you write in response to people, Diox.  I've long been a fan of that simple fact that YOU are the Creator.  You are the Designer.  You are the Arbitrator.  You are the decision maker.  You take no Crap.  Advice, on occasion, where warranted, sure...  But no Crap :D

I for one would love to see what you'd say, even if it was "not constructive"  :D

Offline Narvi

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: November 19, 2016, 09:43:18 am »
Open XCOM crashes during enemy turn.

OpenXcom has crashed: code 0xc0000005

Save attached, just press end turn.

I'll do a bit more testing after lunch.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: November 19, 2016, 11:37:53 am »
Open XCOM crashes during enemy turn.
OpenXcom has crashed: code 0xc0000005
Save attached, just press end turn.

There are a few nodes in the map with z = -1.
Alien is trying to throw a grenade to one of them: [6,41,-1]

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1182 on: November 19, 2016, 12:10:46 pm »
How do you find/fix these nodes? All DESERT RMPs look perfectly fine in the mapview tool...

Offline Zharkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: November 20, 2016, 12:25:36 pm »
typo

Offline BTAxis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: November 21, 2016, 08:29:26 pm »
Hey. I've made a list of small issues I've come across so far (all still in the early game so far).

First, the grammar nazi section.
- Angel of Death: typo "ciivilians"
- Crate of Violence: typo "wider area that you'd think"
- Red Codex: "unlock ship's armory", should be "the ship's armory"
- Green Codex: "unlock Hull's medical facility", should be "the Hull"
- Red Revolution: "the evil" should be simply "evil"
- Electro-flare: typo "nigh-gem"
- Recruit: Warriors: typo "Standarized"
- Contacts: Ship Junkyard: typo "crafts"
- Hidden Expanse: "worship Deep Ones' gods" should be "the Deep Ones' gods"
- #007: "make a break" should me "take a break"
- #056: typo "TU's"
- #058: pretty mangled overall. Suggest phrasing: "There is nothing shameful about the human body, yet there's a time and a place for everything."
- Bikini (Sea): "offers least" should be "offers the least"
- Eurosyndicate: "neither of which" should be "none of which", alternatively "none of whom".
- California Republic: typo "Allmighty"
- Forgery: "need to figure out yet" should be "have yet to figure out", alternatively "haven't figured out yet".
- Plastasteel Munitions: "Replacing the bullet mantle" should be ""By replacing the bullet mantle".
- Spartan Lieutenant: "without questions" should be "without question"
- Phobos Hits the Charts: There's a full stop at the end that shouldn't be there.
- Chem Grenade: This says "Demolitions: 100%", should that be +100%, as with the pickaxe?
- Ghostgates: "death-like state" should be "a death-like state", "a notion" should be "the notion" and "less so" should be "let alone". Moreover fully the second half of this article is one long, rambling sentence that meanders from one subject to another. and has little coherence. Suggest the following rewrite:
STR_GHOSTGATES_UFOPEDIA: "Rumours say the country is haunted, and if you take a wrong turn, you could find a vampire or worse. Legend has it, just after conquering the Earth, the Star Gods had to curb excess population levels of that time, so they resettled billions of people from the whole Euroasia onto the isolated subcontinent, only to destroy them with a host of nasty plagues, some killing outright, some causing slow agony, some putting people in a death-like state or doing even more bizarre things. While the notion that there could ever be a billion people living on the planet (let alone multiple billions) seems a bit of a stretch, Ghostgates is lush enough to make it plausible. However it also is definitely spooky, with its endless old boneyards and ruins, and its silent, big-eyed inhabitants, living in dozens of disparate counties and towns. Not to mention that the five aristocratic families of old, who have the right to elect the local Patriarch, could well be the vampires of legend judging by their looks and decadence."

Some other assorted things.
- The White Shambler disassembly numbers are wrong. They show 5/12/4 for the live specimen and 3/9/6 for the corpse. The final number is swapped between the two.
- Some grenades, including Willie Pete, Stun Grenade and Frag Grenade appear in the upper corner of a tile instead of the center.
- I think armors with "standard" inventory space, such as the Warrior Armor, should still show 25/25 in the description to avoid confusion. Personal preference.
- There is no "Skill" description for the Hammer, Chainsaw, and grenades-as-weapons items. These use ranged fire modes, but are not based on Firing Accuracy so I think the paedia should mention that.
- Integrated Devices counts as "Them", should probably be "Treasure".
- Ditto with Imp Corpse, Megascorpion Carcass. (Dark One Corpse and Demon Corpse are Treasure).
- Bad Touch benefits from kneeling bonuses. Seems unintentional, though I'm really not sure about that one.
- Suggest rephrasing STR_OK_5_SECONDS to "Aye - 5 secs", because it feels like an omission to leave it as default.
- [Edit] I also found an issue with the Pachyderm map. The starboard support is walkable:

(note also the misaligned Willie Pete in that image)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 08:57:42 pm by BTAxis »