aliens

Author Topic: OpenXcom on iOS?  (Read 8608 times)

Offline Omegan

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
OpenXcom on iOS?
« on: June 18, 2014, 09:59:07 am »
Hello. Didn't found exact topics, but as I see OpenXcom-project available on many platforms (including Mac OS X and experimental for Android).
So I would like to ask is any way to bring OpenXcom to iOS? Are any such plans?

I know OpenXcom using resources from the game and so in my opinion it will be a problem to make OpenXcom in AppStore. But how about those who has JailBroken devices and use Cydia as well?
In Cydia there are many projects that prohibited and kicked from AppStore, but exist in Cydia (for example iDos/DosPad or many types of emulators like Sega, Nintendo etc.)

P.S. I'm sure that exist huge range of game's fans who will be gladly to see it on iOS :)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 10:12:04 am by Omegan »

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
Re: OpenXcom on iOS?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 10:13:48 am »
There is an Android port (available on the downloads page). I am not sure if an iOS port is easy to make.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 08:01:30 am »
You would have to try the SDL2 branch on Xcode. Not a lot of Mac devs on this community though.

Offline boecko

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 02:55:00 pm »
Hi,

i've made a very rough port of the SDL2-branch to iOS
see https://github.com/boecko/OpenXcom

It basically works just until the main-screen for the moment, but it compiles ;)

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 11:11:27 am »
I bet you have planned this to coincide with the iPhone 6 Plus release  8)

Joking aside, that's a nice start you have there. Sadly, as SupSuper said, there aren't a lot of Mac devs in the community to give you a hand, but I really hope you can continue this iOS port until it reaches a stable state.

Keep it up!

Offline oftcrash

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 06:33:50 pm »
One thing to note is that this won't be able to go into the Itunes App store. There are licensing issues involved, first from the use of the Microprose media assets, but second, because open source projects, at least GPL, are generally not accepted by Apple. OpenTTD (Transport Tycoon) ran into this, even though all the graphics and code were original. It was up for a brief time, but then pulled down and not allowed back.

Offline boecko

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 09:20:56 pm »
I know, that this could be difficult. I did it just as a personal exercise  ;)

The data is not included in the app. This has to be uploaded via iTunes  (see https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=2953.0 ), so this wouldn't be an issue.

But i don't think, that it would get through the Apple Release/Review process, because of that.

Offline Oladele.Itsifanus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 09:40:31 pm »
It could still go to Cydia store (and Appcake and AppDB), and trust me, it would be a HIT! like Humans vs Aliens is now.

Offline magus66

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 01:43:44 am »
It could go in the store, but we would need to create a set of "free" assets. A free campaign with all new art assets.