Author Topic: Special Missions discussion  (Read 6312 times)

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
Re: Special Missions discussion
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2015, 07:24:19 am »
This idea was also spooking in my head since i saw quinches tries in this regard.

Wouldn't it be possible to make them normal monthly Terrormission spawn 2 or 3 more missionsites instead of only one?

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2015, 07:35:21 am »
Ugh.. as long as this happens later in the game once (or at worst relatively soon before) the player can feasibly outfit more than a squad, that could be fun. But XCom2012's version of "the aliens attack 3 spots but you can't react to more than one despite being a worldwide organization" is one of the main reason I couldn't play through more than once.

It would be a nice way to keep up the pressure as the game goes on and the player builds up significant infrastructure. Missions with more than one UFO/landing at the same time are great too. Just not the feeling of getting screwed by game design of the new one.

I based this on EU2012 but unlike it the player can respond to the 3 sites if he/she's prepared for them, and the penalty for missing the site can be reduced.

I've already done a bit of rethinking. On the first month it would be a vanilla terror mission, but starting on February the triple site could appear instead of the single terror site. One of the sites would still be a terror mission (but with -500 penalty instead of -1000), the 2nd site a facility mission (-250 penalty) and the third special missions (capture scientists, recover data disks, etc.) that would give critical research or just money (and still with the -250 penalty).

This way the player would have to consider which one to respond in case only a single Skyranger is available. Send the veteran crew to the Terror Site or to recover tech? Or just try something new with the facility attacks (possibly facing only human opponents on those sites to make them easier missions)?

The triple sites would also be deactivated once you research an Ethereal Commander since they would depend on the Overseer UFO missions.

This idea was also spooking in my head since i saw quinches tries in this regard.

Wouldn't it be possible to make them normal monthly Terrormission spawn 2 or 3 more missionsites instead of only one?

2 or 3 repeated terror sites would be too much for me.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 07:43:26 am by Hobbes »

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2015, 07:41:30 am »
I based this on EU2012 but unlike it the player can respond to the 3 sites if he/she's prepared for them, and the penalty for missing the site can be reduced.

I've already done a bit of rethinking. On the first month it would be a vanilla terror mission, but starting on February the triple site could appear instead of the single terror site. One of the sites would still be a terror mission (but with -500 penalty instead of -1000), the 2nd site a facility mission (-250 penalty) and the third special missions (capture scientists, recover data disks, etc.) that would give critical research or just money (and still with the -250 penalty).

2 or 3 repeated terror sites would be too much for me.

Jeah probably, which reminds these Facility Mission will be a pain to implements, since i need to change the maps, to have the player have his team together at the start.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2015, 07:49:12 am »
Jeah probably, which reminds these Facility Mission will be a pain to implements, since i need to change the maps, to have the player have his team together at the start.

The Facility Defense missions?

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2015, 07:58:38 am »
The Facility Defense missions?

Jeah from what i have seen so far. I need to take a look at all the maps and the mapscripts so i see which blocks are used were and adapt them if neccessary.

But not only those mission, the whole AREA51 Maps, those are interesting mapblocks, but to use them effectivly i need to know them :)

Anyway gonna add some more civilians. I come probably back to ask you for who to credit, if i do not find this info here in the subforum somewere.

Also i gonna remake the Luke Expanded Terror with Maddecor as soon as i am back in berlin. The city addon terrain is something else it also needs to rechecked and reworked and adapted, searching for errors is so much more pain then make something new.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2015, 06:18:52 am »
But not only those mission, the whole AREA51 Maps, those are interesting mapblocks, but to use them effectivly i need to know them :)

Nice! I designed Area51 mapblocks to try to allow modders to try new combinations and the different types of maps are grouped together.

Here's a list of the different groups:
* 00-03 Empty areas/Craft landing zones
* 04-27 Fenced roads
* 28-59 Outside fences and guardtowers
* 60-79 10x10 buildings
* 80-99 20x20 buildings. These maps are usually grouped and used in mapScript as 4 different categories: Objective, Security, Miscellaneous and Clear Areas.
** 80 Radar Site (Clear Area)
** 81 Guard House (Security)
** 82 Administration (Miscellaneous)
** 83 Bunker (Security)
** 84 Laboratory 1 (Objective)
** 85 Armory (Miscellaneous)
** 86 Fort (Security)
** 87 Laboratory 2 (Objective)
** 88 Workshop (Objective)
** 89 Watchtower (Clear Area)
** 90 Open Area (Clear Area)
** 91 Barracks (Miscellaneous)
** 92 Radar Outpost (Objective)
** 93 Mess Hall (Miscellaneous)
** 94 Motor Pool (Miscellaneous)
** 95 Depot (Miscellaneous)
** 96 Loading Area (Clear Area)
** 97 POL Storage (Miscellaneous)
** 98 Hangar 1 (Objective)
** 99 Hangar 2 (Objective)
* 100-107 Empty areas
* 108-123 Outside areas
* 124-135 Outside fences
* 136-159 Roads
* 160-191 Outside fences, gates and guardtowers - XCom starting areas (only friendly units are spawned)
* 192-195 10x10 empty areas
* 196 Exit area for Area 51 subterrains that don't use XCOM craft
* 197-204 20x20 buildings - XCom starting areas (only friendly units are spawned)
** 197 Administration
** 198 Guard House
** 199 Bunker
** 200 Laboratory 1
** 201 Fort
** 202 Laboratory 2
** 203 Workshop
** 204 Radar Outpost
* 205-208 Guardtowers - XCom starting areas (only friendly units are spawned)
* 209-212 Outside gates
* 213-216 More 20x20 buildings
** 213 Laboratory 3 (Objective)
** 214 Missile Silo (Objective)
** 215 Storage Area (Clear Area)
** 216 Laboratory 4 (Objective)

Anyway gonna add some more civilians. I come probably back to ask you for who to credit, if i do not find this info here in the subforum somewere.

They're from TFTD, Piratez and some other mods. I did a lot of recoloring and in some cases redesign to distinguish them from the originals.

Also i gonna remake the Luke Expanded Terror with Maddecor as soon as i am back in berlin. The city addon terrain is something else it also needs to rechecked and reworked and adapted, searching for errors is so much more pain then make something new.

:)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 06:21:43 am by Hobbes »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2015, 05:41:38 am »
Been doing some rethinking of the 'multiple sites' scenario, where you can get 3 missionSites being generated in quick succession instead of the vanilla Terror mission from month 2 onwards.
* Monthly chance for 3 missionSites spawning will be 50%, otherwise you get the regular vanilla Terror mission
* The sites will be triggered by the Overseer UFO, which can be stopped (and thus the 3 sites) by researching an Ethereal Commander
* First mission to be generated will be a Terror Site, but with a -500 score penalty for ignoring the site, instead of the vanilla -1000
* Second mission is a 'reward' mission:
** It can take place on the following terrains/alienDeployments: Area 51 Research, Complex YY-18, HWP Factory, Skyranger Factory, Docked Ship and Ship Assault
**  On each of the first 4 terrains it will be possible to get a specific tech (and skip any research middle steps) by capturing or recovering an item. The techs include Laser Weapons, Combat Armor, Advanced Craft and Advanced HWPs
** Laser tech is also modified so that you can immediately start researching it after you complete research in all Gauss weapons, and removing the existing requirement to recover its data disk before any research was possible
** Mission penalty for ignoring the site will be -250
* Third mission will be an easier mission than the previous two and worth -250 points.
** It can take place on any of the Area 51, Airfield, Siberia and Storm Mountain subterrains/missions. It can be fought against aliens or human collaborators.

A couple of other changes that this would involve would be:
* Use the Alien Hive and Alien Colony terrains in the Alien Base Assault mission, in addition to the vanilla terrain.
* Reduce the number of locations used (no more looking for the Space Shuttle in Cape Canaveral mission)

Offline davide

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2015, 11:52:57 am »
A lot of good balance choices

..., which can be stopped (and thus the 3 sites) by researching an Ethereal Commander

I have  doubt about it ...
is it a award for, the player, totaly avoids those new beautifull mission site ? ???

Reduce the number of locations used
I  do not understand this sentence ...

Alien Base Assault mission
In mine opinion, this is a very important topic because with the game progression there are a lot of this missions

In my wish other than add Hellrazor/Luke/Civillian new alien base maps , now I wish add XOps's new Alien base terrain

niculinux

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2015, 09:11:29 pm »
Well, don't know if ot may even be of some interest, but some mlitary assistence mission where xcom joins un troops agains aliens in some situations may be interesting..but i think it may be possible only with openxocm extended.? :)

edit: typos

Addenda: A potential mission called Alien infestation, and xcom operative may intervene supportin aside from UN troops, local govrrnment military and police unkts, these mkssions may be set in some sites such as ports, milotary bases, war ships, etc, with some of the aforementioned units (maybe a few since the majority are supposed to have been slain) armed and fighting aliens, somewhat a clone of a terror mission, but withoit civilians :)