Author Topic: [not bug] partially see-through ufo external walls *SOLVED: tweak MDCPatches*  (Read 3567 times)

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
i've been noticing from a while on my modded game, that my agents could see though the "back-facing" walls of ufo (attached).
(they're not walls but objects -mcd_type 3-, "big walls"-enabled.
since i mess a lot with the tiles i didn't mind it, i though it was my fault. but now i'm seeing the exact same behavior on Meridian's let's play of xpiratez.
so i think the thing need to be checked at least at this point.

i didn't have the time to lookproperly but going by memory what happens is (when ufo is looked from the affected directions, north and west):
 - the interiors are exposed (no more black)
 - but units/floorobs are not revealed

can't say exactly.. but i think that (at least the small ufo) remained consistently "blacked-out" once.
(could it be a wrong mcd patch?)
(could it be that it started to happening after adding support for TFTD special walls?)

edit:
fix here:
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4117.msg55113.html#msg55113
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 08:58:41 pm by robin »

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: [bug]..? partially see-through ufo external walls?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 06:39:14 pm »
I think OpenXCom used to have a MCD patch in its vanilla ruleset which fixed that. I'm not sure if it is still there or not, but it might also be that when loading a different master (ex.: XPiratez), you don't get those patches and so you can see through UFOs? one would have to check if the same behaviour happens in a non-modded game..

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 07:15:12 pm »
I think OpenXCom used to have a MCD patch in its vanilla ruleset which fixed that. I'm not sure if it is still there or not, but it might also be that when loading a different master (ex.: XPiratez), you don't get those patches and so you can see through UFOs? one would have to check if the same behaviour happens in a non-modded game..
the modded version i'm using at home uses my own mod (which is not master); xpiratez/piratez is not even installed on my end.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 07:43:56 pm »
I thought you might be using a different (Apocalypse?) master, which would have prevented the vanilla one from being loaded. If that's not the case, then I am not sure, beyond maybe going and looking into the vanilla ruleset for MCD patches and seeing if something changed from the version that worked to the current one.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 08:43:29 pm »
(could it be a wrong mcd patch?)

This is what's causing this issue:
Code: [Select]
  - type: U_EXT02
    data:
      - MCDIndex: 2
        bigWall: 6
      - MCDIndex: 3
        bigWall: 7
      - MCDIndex: 4
        bigWall: 2
      - MCDIndex: 5
      - MCDIndex: 6
        bigWall: 3
      - MCDIndex: 7
        bigWall: 3
      - MCDIndex: 8
        bigWall: 8
      - MCDIndex: 13
      - MCDIndex: 14
      - MCDIndex: 15

Change the bigWall values to 1 and the UFO interiors will not be revealed. The side effect is that units aren't able to walk into these spaces anymore, but in vanilla you couldn't move there too.

An alternative method is to edit all of the UFOs and add invisible walls to their insides to prevent them from being revealed.

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 08:48:20 pm »
oohh thanks Hobbes. i'll definitely trade the ability to brace the walls, with the fully obscured ufo.