Author Topic: Area 51 - General Feedback thread  (Read 210875 times)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Re: Area 51 - General Feedback thread
« Reply #1245 on: August 29, 2016, 05:21:27 am »
In the vanilla alien base, the empty brain chambers also had control centers to blow up so you have to find those and the main command center. 

Bug, the empty brain chambers were only supposed to appear on Cydonia. I'll fix that

And in the underground alien base, a room had a few tiny control center corners hidden from view which also needed to be blown up.

I thought I had fixed that one. Could you take a screenshot to help identify the bugged map? Thanks

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: August 29, 2016, 06:22:51 am »
You can barely see them, but the minimap will show that they're really there.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: August 29, 2016, 08:22:10 am »
You can barely see them, but the minimap will show that they're really there.

Yeah, I couldn't see them at all on the map editor. Fixed and thanks, I'll update this tomorrow

Offline asinop

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: September 03, 2016, 04:27:18 pm »
Great work, I love it. I encountered a bug. When I assaulted a crashed terror ship, I got the following error: "Map block is not of the size specified MAPS/UFO_150A.MAP is 30x20 , expected: 20x30".

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: September 03, 2016, 06:22:44 pm »
Great work, I love it. I encountered a bug. When I assaulted a crashed terror ship, I got the following error: "Map block is not of the size specified MAPS/UFO_150A.MAP is 30x20 , expected: 20x30".

2nd time a similar bug has been reported, hm, I definitely need to recheck all those map files

I'll post a fix later for this since there's an update coming but if you need a fix right away just let me know. Thanks for the report! :)

Offline ChefMike

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: September 05, 2016, 12:30:49 am »
Sorry if this seems silly to ask, but what is the objective in council missions where you enter a base with only 30 turns? It seems quite difficult to go and kill all the aliens within that time. Also when I research blueprints nothing seems to happen.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 12:32:23 am by ChefMike »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: September 05, 2016, 03:21:45 am »
Sorry if this seems silly to ask, but what is the objective in council missions where you enter a base with only 30 turns? It seems quite difficult to go and kill all the aliens within that time.

Missions with timers have different objectives than 'kill all aliens'. On Destroy (and also Escape) you need to take out the physical targets on the map, on Defend you need to hold out alive, on Extraction you need to get to the exit. All of these are explained on the pre-mission briefing.

Also when I research blueprints nothing seems to happen.

You mean Bluebook Reports or the Data Disks? Finishing Bluebook Reports automatically generates one or more mission in the next month where you can recover research or capture alien scientists, they don't give research items. These type of missions won't appear ingame otherwise. Finishing Data Disk research gives you a random human tech (from alloy vests/ammo to personal armor/lasers) you don't already possess (if you already have all, then Data Disks become useless)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 04:58:56 am by Hobbes »

Offline zrau

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: October 20, 2016, 06:22:31 pm »
Thanks for this mod. I've been playing it on and off for awhile now and it is IMO the best megamod out there. I really like what you have included and how it is all balanced.

If I could give one bit of feedback then I'd say that I wish mixed race UFOs would be the exception rather than the rule. It looks kind of awkward thematically, sort of like you are fighting a motley group of intergalactic super best friends rather than a sinister hivemind of insect-like invaders.

What I do 'like' about mixed races is the terrible suspense of not knowing whether a Chryssalid is out there or a Cyberdisc above your smoke forcing you to change tactics if it's not too late. You could keep this sort of thing and still have uniform races by not tethering terror units to one race always. Just a thought.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: October 20, 2016, 07:01:58 pm »
Thanks for this mod. I've been playing it on and off for awhile now and it is IMO the best megamod out there. I really like what you have included and how it is all balanced.

If I could give one bit of feedback then I'd say that I wish mixed race UFOs would be the exception rather than the rule. It looks kind of awkward thematically, sort of like you are fighting a motley group of intergalactic super best friends rather than a sinister hivemind of insect-like invaders.

What I do 'like' about mixed races is the terrible suspense of not knowing whether a Chryssalid is out there or a Cyberdisc above your smoke forcing you to change tactics if it's not too late. You could keep this sort of thing and still have uniform races by not tethering terror units to one race always. Just a thought.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm glad you brought up the issue of mixed races because this has been mentioned before but in the past I was too busy implementing everything to properly balance the single race vs. mixed races. :)

One thing I learned in the past months while implementing the new terrains/missions is that just making everything to be fully random is not ideal. And the predominance of mixed races goes against the design of the original game, although for the original that wasn't really a choice but a consequence of the technical limits involved with videogames 20 years ago.

So I'm definitely going to start working in some changes regarding this issue. I already have a few ideas like keeping the mixed races more to Base/Terror missions, while the single missions go to Research/Harvest/Abductions. TFTD also implemented Mixed races so I'll definitely look it up as well.

Offline Galagaman

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: October 22, 2016, 02:17:47 am »
I'm having a problem playing. Every time a mission launches it says there is a terrain error. I have the latest update of the mod and the latest nightly.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: October 22, 2016, 04:52:15 am »
I'm having a problem playing. Every time a mission launches it says there is a terrain error. I have the latest update of the mod and the latest nightly.

Fixed, it was a missing file. Dropbox download link updated with fix. Thanks for the report :)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 05:04:14 am by Hobbes »

Offline adamstone333

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: October 24, 2016, 04:24:59 pm »
Can't find Alien Scientist rank in any Aliens.

I go on all sorts of missions, crashed-ufo, faculty missions, ground missions, alien base missions, Enemy VIP missions, Council missions but I can't find a single alien with the "scientist" rank among them. You need to capture an alien scientist if you want to get better weapons and tech and stuff (with the Area51 megamod I have instaled), so going on with the game without it is pretty hopeless. I have a mind-probe tech and I identify every single alien on the battlescape so I'm sure I couldn't have missed any.

So let's see if I've done anything wrong:

I'm running openxcom with 1.0 git 2016-09-25 17:26 nightly version with Area51 mod installed  (no other megamods installed, except for the HQ-sound pack with isn't a megamod)

No reason I can think of. Have I not waited enough, have I missed them continuously? Is there a bug or some technical error? Am I doing something wrong?

*Note: I re-Posted on the appropriate subforum*

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: October 26, 2016, 07:15:22 pm »

A little update on the mixed races issue. So far I've redesigned the whole system so that, on average there's a chance of 20-50% that a mixed race will be selected, depending on the alien mission and the month. The mixed races won't be so mixed anymore, since I've implemented a multi-tiered system where you won't be seeing Sectoids or Floaters on the late game mixed races.

I have also removed the dual alien races (Sectoid/Floater, etc.) and I'm still looking at the possibility of a single race appearing with different terror units, although I'll still need to use the tier system (no Sectoids with Sectopods, for instance), otherwise it becomes very hard to balance, even with Excel tables.

Finally, the new tier system makes it easier to add and balance new aliens, so I'm currently looking at these possibilities:
* Spacefarer (discussed previously on this thread) - early primary race
* Vineman/Fire Ant (discussed previously on this thread) - primary or terror unit
* Wraith (using XOps' Cyber Floater sprites) - late primary or terror unit
* Fungoid (from jackstraw2323's War of Shadows TC) - medium primary/terror
* Light Orb (Willowwisp from jackstraw2323's War of Shadows TC) - early terror
* Andromedon (organic armor from jackstraw2323's War of Shadows TC) - late primary
* Squisher (Drone from jackstraw2323's War of Shadows TC) - early/medium terror
* Puffer (from jackstraw2323's War of Shadows TC) -early/medium terror

Offline zrau

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: October 27, 2016, 02:37:10 pm »
That looks great  :) 

Mixed units do add some nice surprises to game but, at least early on, it's nice to see some UFOs with a core standard race with a bit of extras thrown in. 20-50 percent sounds just right for mixed.  The special missions probably fit better with more randomization then UFOs. I guess it's a lot of work to try to balance with all the unit types. It could be that more players don't mind fully random and it's more a personal preference.

Offline WhiskeyBob

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: October 27, 2016, 04:58:30 pm »
Just received this message while entering ship mission.

OpenXcom has crashed: MAPS/CARGOSHIP00.MAP  not found.
I've renamed CARGOSHIP.MAP to CARGOSHIP00.MAP

Then I received this :

OpenXcom has crashed: Routes/CARGOSHIP00.RMP  not found.
Again, I've renamed CARGOSHIP.RMP to CARGOSHIP00.RMP

It worked.