Author Topic: Area 51 - General Feedback thread  (Read 153137 times)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Re: UFO Redux - General Feedback thread
« Reply #840 on: November 03, 2015, 02:02:29 am »
Cannot download 0.7.8

Also I'm using nightly 10-10 and it works fine with Redux.

Just downloaded it without a problem. Here's another link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18824603/UFO%20REDUX%20v0.7.8.zip

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: November 03, 2015, 07:57:40 am »
This is the reason that is holding version 0.8... it is called Complex and is only about 75% done, but I think it should be interesting :)

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #842 on: November 03, 2015, 08:17:45 am »
Man this looks awesome as usual, kind of a factory / industrial setting.
Can't wait to hunt Chryssalids in this :)

I kneel down before the might of Hobbes the Terrain creator GOD!

Could you add some more of those pipes or are the just the ones from tftd?

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: November 03, 2015, 04:07:00 pm »
Could you add some more of those pipes or are the just the ones from tftd?

I don't think more pipes are required, just did a test and shooting at one can cause a whole segment to explode in sequence. They were taken from TFTD, recolored and I've changed their explosion definitions.

Offline silencer_pl

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: November 03, 2015, 11:57:45 pm »
Looks nice as long it won't have 60 aliens!

Offline silencer_pl

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: November 03, 2015, 11:59:18 pm »
Just downloaded it without a problem. Here's another link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18824603/UFO%20REDUX%20v0.7.8.zip

Still doesn't work (the main page). Dropbox link works though.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: November 04, 2015, 12:34:57 am »
Looks nice as long it won't have 60 aliens!

Don't worry, for 0.8 I've rescaled all the missions to have the same numbers of a vanilla Terror Site or Alien Base Assault, and I've reduced their dimensions :)

Still doesn't work (the main page). Dropbox link works though.

I think I got it working now.

Offline Axebeard

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: November 05, 2015, 01:41:14 am »
I have some General Feedback. The special missions are a cool idea (until you get a bunch of the same one in a row), but some of the maps are pretty annoying. My main complaint is that there is often only one staircase leading to a particular floor, which means a loooooooong walk to get your troops where they need to be. It seems odd that there aren't more multiple points of entry on a lot of the buildings, particularly those defense missions. Oh, and the MiB base (I think it was), where there would be a staircase that goes from the first floor to the second, and one that goes from the first to the third, but no way to get from the second floor to the third. Seems illogical. And annoying when it takes 10 turns to get somewhere so close.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: November 05, 2015, 02:57:49 am »
I have some General Feedback. The special missions are a cool idea (until you get a bunch of the same one in a row), but some of the maps are pretty annoying. My main complaint is that there is often only one staircase leading to a particular floor, which means a loooooooong walk to get your troops where they need to be. It seems odd that there aren't more multiple points of entry on a lot of the buildings, particularly those defense missions. Oh, and the MiB base (I think it was), where there would be a staircase that goes from the first floor to the second, and one that goes from the first to the third, but no way to get from the second floor to the third. Seems illogical. And annoying when it takes 10 turns to get somewhere so close.

Pics would definitely help to identify the buildings involved. Otherwise, there's some 30-40 buildings just on the Area 51 terrain (which I assume is the 'MIB base') :)

Offline CDRom

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: November 05, 2015, 05:14:31 am »
Hi Hobbes, getting a game killing 'assertion failed' CTD now in geoscape, save attached. Just move ahead about 2 hours gave time and CTD. This is your new version 7.8 running git master 10_1. I just downgraded to git master 10_1 so I could run your new version. Haven't tried it with a newer openxcom version as I assume that'll cause other problems per your comments. I'm really hoping this is something fixable cause I need to finish your mod before Fallout 4 comes out lol!

Also two more bugs to report. Someone else reported this one before and it's been plaguing me as well this whole time, I get swarmed with large and XL alien ships in geoscape literally by the hour, I attached an example pic. In vanilla sometimes you can go days without a detection but in your mod I can't hardly go an hour. It hasn't been game breaking so far...but man it's annoying. In vanilla a sudden swarm of large/XL usually means a base is being built in the area but I continuously patrol these areas and I'm not detecting new bases.

2nd bug, no big deal, some human agent corpses show up as 'str_human_agent...etc.' in base inventory, see attached pic.

Oh one more thing, why does the improved rocket launcher HWP have less TUs than the regular? The mission to get this tech is very hard, then the research time...then build time. The reward should be much better, surely we shouldn't suffer a loss of TU just for a gain of better resists. I already changed this for myself in the ruleset (back to 100 TUs), just proposing a discussion about the balance on this.

Now that I think of it, got another. There doesn't seem to be any difference between the Heavy Laser and the Laser Sniper Rifle, not from the Ufopedia descriptions anyway, haven't had time to check the differences in the ruleset. If they are different in the ruleset then you should change the ufopedia entry so the casual player will understand the difference, if there is no difference in the ruleset...then whats the point, total waste of valuable research time which is a premium in this mod.

Anyway totally awesome mod so far brother! Hopefully you can get back to me on my assertion failed CTD issue soon though cause I'm dead in the water right now lol!

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: November 05, 2015, 06:04:38 am »
Hi Hobbes, getting a game killing 'assertion failed' CTD now in geoscape, save attached. Just move ahead about 2 hours gave time and CTD. This is your new version 7.8 running git master 10_1. I just downgraded to git master 10_1 so I could run your new version. Haven't tried it with a newer openxcom version as I assume that'll cause other problems per your comments. I'm really hoping this is something fixable cause I need to finish your mod before Fallout 4 comes out lol!

I got bad news, this is the 'floating point' bug I mentioned on a post a few days ago. This bug is not related to the mod but to OXC sometimes having problems determining the target's coordinates for one of the facility attacks or special missions. I'm trying to see if I can edit your save file for the game to continue.

EDIT: this bug should be fixed later.

Also two more bugs to report. Someone else reported this one before and it's been plaguing me as well this whole time, I get swarmed with large and XL alien ships in geoscape literally by the hour, I attached an example pic. In vanilla sometimes you can go days without a detection but in your mod I can't hardly go an hour. It hasn't been game breaking so far...but man it's annoying. In vanilla a sudden swarm of large/XL usually means a base is being built in the area but I continuously patrol these areas and I'm not detecting new bases.

Those are Overseer missions taking place, they consist of 7-8 Large and Very Large UFOs. But you should only get 1 of those swarms each month.

Oh one more thing, why does the improved rocket launcher HWP have less TUs than the regular? The mission to get this tech is very hard, then the research time...then build time. The reward should be much better, surely we shouldn't suffer a loss of TU just for a gain of better resists. I already changed this for myself in the ruleset (back to 100 TUs), just proposing a discussion about the balance on this.

Now that I think of it, got another. There doesn't seem to be any difference between the Heavy Laser and the Laser Sniper Rifle, not from the Ufopedia descriptions anyway, haven't had time to check the differences in the ruleset. If they are different in the ruleset then you should change the ufopedia entry so the casual player will understand the difference, if there is no difference in the ruleset...then whats the point, total waste of valuable research time which is a premium in this mod.

Both situations happen because, in addition to Redux, you're using both the Improved Tanks and Improved Lasers mods, which increase the vanilla stats of all HWPs and the Heavy Laser. Redux incorporates both those mods but they aren't available from the start - you need to get the improvements through research.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 07:14:20 am by Hobbes »

Offline thanquol99

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: November 05, 2015, 07:26:27 am »
I got this playing. What should I do to fix this? Screenshot attached.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: November 05, 2015, 07:30:40 am »

I got this playing. What should I do to fix this? Screenshot attached.

A new OpenXCom nightly (openxcom_git_master_2015_11_05_0618.zip) has been just to https://openxcom.org/git-builds/ that solves this bug. After installing you should be able to continue your saved games. Thanks both for reporting this issue :)

Offline CDRom

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: November 05, 2015, 07:58:34 am »
Public Announcement

Due to the latest changes (civilians death sounds and mission briefing custom background) Redux should not properly work with the latest nightlies. You'll need the older openxcom_git_master_2015_10_01_0503 to work, which can be downloaded here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18824603/openxcom_git_master_2015_10_01_0503.zip.

Thanks and just hold on a bit until I finish 0.8 :)

Just to verify...the latest git, 11_05, is now good to go...10_01 is no longer necessary to play 7.8?

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: November 05, 2015, 03:37:11 pm »
Just to verify...the latest git, 11_05, is now good to go...10_01 is no longer necessary to play 7.8?

Yes. 11_05 is good to go, you don't need 10_01 anymore.