Author Topic: Area 51 - General Feedback thread  (Read 105291 times)

Offline SvenBogdanoff

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: Area 51 - General Feedback thread
« Reply #1335 on: September 28, 2018, 08:18:12 pm »
Hey Hobbes, just wanted to say the mod is really fun thanks for all the work put into it.

My one question is about research trees, most of the new subjects I research from the mod yield no UFOpaedia results or anything for that matter. Rogue Scientist, Weapons tech, Armor tech, etc. Are the results just being saved for when I research something else I need (Alien scientist) or do I have to recapture those assets, if it is the latter then my game is pretty much screwed because thats like 5 missions wasted

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: September 28, 2018, 09:25:34 pm »
My one question is about research trees, most of the new subjects I research from the mod yield no UFOpaedia results or anything for that matter. Rogue Scientist, Weapons tech, Armor tech, etc. Are the results just being saved for when I research something else I need (Alien scientist) or do I have to recapture those assets, if it is the latter then my game is pretty much screwed because thats like 5 missions wasted

The Rogue Scientist/Data Disks are meant to give you a boost in the early game, i.e. you can get laser weapons on February if you're lucky/successful without having to complete Gauss research first. As the months go by you'll eventually research the human techs with your scientists so their usefulness will eventually be zero (but you'll still get positive score from winning those missions), and the Recovery/Capture/Extraction missions will disappear all together after a while. Data disks also take 50% less time to complete research than researching the same topics through your scientists.

Basically, the Council missions can be a short cut to human techs, if you want to use them. There are also a number of special missions designed the same way to help with some alien techs, in case you're having problems advancing your research in Elerium and such.

Offline Fox Mulder

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: October 09, 2018, 03:11:39 pm »
Hi, Hobbes, I went in a freeze after having mind controlled a snakeman engineer with blaster launcher; trying to fire, the game freeze for some second, than moving the alien freezed again, trying to close the game with "x" a popup message appeared with: OpenXcom has crashed: Segmentation fault. This usually indicates something missing in a mod. Looking in the openxcom.log I found:
[09-10-2018_14-03-10]   [FATAL]   A fatal error has occurred: Segmentation fault. This usually indicates something missing in a mod.
[09-10-2018_14-03-10]   [FATAL]   ??
[09-10-2018_14-03-10]   [FATAL]   0x77ce5030 RtlKnownExceptionFilter
[09-10-2018_14-03-10]   [FATAL]   0x77ca979f RtlInitializeExceptionChain
[09-10-2018_14-09-21]   [FATAL]   OpenXcom has crashed: Segmentation fault. This usually indicates something missing in a mod.
Hope this can help

Edit: If I didn't try to mind control anyone it works, saves too, now crashes always when clicking abandon game and the yes for exit
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 03:42:23 pm by Fox Mulder »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: October 09, 2018, 04:00:12 pm »
Hi, Hobbes, I went in a freeze after having mind controlled a snakeman engineer with blaster launcher; trying to fire, the game freeze for some second, than moving the alien freezed again, trying to close the game with "x" a popup message appeared with: OpenXcom has crashed: Segmentation fault. This usually indicates something missing in a mod. Looking in the openxcom.log I found:
[09-10-2018_14-03-10]   [FATAL]   A fatal error has occurred: Segmentation fault. This usually indicates something missing in a mod.
[09-10-2018_14-03-10]   [FATAL]   0x77ce5030 RtlKnownExceptionFilter
[09-10-2018_14-03-10]   [FATAL]   0x77ca979f RtlInitializeExceptionChain
[09-10-2018_14-09-21]   [FATAL]   OpenXcom has crashed: Segmentation fault. This usually indicates something missing in a mod.
Hope this can help

Edit: If I didn't try to mind control anyone it works, saves too, now crashes always when clicking abandon game and the yes for exit

Hi,

From your description this involves none of the mod's content, since Mind Control, Snakemen and Blaster Launchers are a part of the vanilla game and I have changed nothing regarding them. You should report this to the OXC developers instead (or OXCE, if you are using it)

Offline Fox Mulder

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: October 09, 2018, 04:08:45 pm »
Ok done, thanks

Offline tarsolyger

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: November 12, 2018, 12:52:43 pm »
Hi!

I just discovered that the UFOpaedia says Laser Sniper Rifle no longer needs magazines unlike the heavy laser, but in reality, heavy laser runs without them.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: November 12, 2018, 04:42:40 pm »
Hi!

I just discovered that the UFOpaedia says Laser Sniper Rifle no longer needs magazines unlike the heavy laser, but in reality, heavy laser runs without them.

Got it, thanks!

Offline tarsolyger

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: November 23, 2018, 04:45:40 pm »
Got it, thanks!
Hi!

I just made this video:

If you like it, I'd like to ask you to use this on the mod portal instead of the playlist to my Let's Play series, as I think this short-form review is more informational for new people curious about the mod, and people who are interested in the Let's Play after watching this, can still find it on the end screen icon.

Thanks.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: November 24, 2018, 04:33:45 pm »
Hi!

I just made this video:

If you like it, I'd like to ask you to use this on the mod portal instead of the playlist to my Let's Play series, as I think this short-form review is more informational for new people curious about the mod, and people who are interested in the Let's Play after watching this, can still find it on the end screen icon.

Thanks.

Thank you for sharing this!

I'll add the review to the mod portal but I'll keep the link to the Let's Play because more than half the people will probably miss it at the end of your video ;)

Offline tarsolyger

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: November 24, 2018, 08:16:32 pm »
Thank you for sharing this!

I'll add the review to the mod portal but I'll keep the link to the Let's Play because more than half the people will probably miss it at the end of your video ;)

As you see fit :) But looking at my analytics, most people who click on the Let's Play playist won't stuck for more than a minute, so if you want to keep both, I'd be more happy to see the review video at the top, as I think it gives more info about the mod for the curious viewer. But, of course, in the end, it's your call ;)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: November 25, 2018, 04:16:10 am »
As you see fit :) But looking at my analytics, most people who click on the Let's Play playist won't stuck for more than a minute, so if you want to keep both, I'd be more happy to see the review video at the top, as I think it gives more info about the mod for the curious viewer. But, of course, in the end, it's your call ;)

I removed the playlist as you recommended

Offline tarsolyger

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: November 25, 2018, 07:59:19 am »
I removed the playlist as you recommended

Thank you!
And sorry for being a nuisance today, but I realized that I have made a typo in the video title screen and I couldn't stand looking at it, so I reuploded the re-edited video on this link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs_gYsylXNc

Could you please change it if you have the time?

Thanks again! And also thanks for the awesome (with an e) mod!

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #1347 on: December 03, 2018, 03:57:26 pm »
Thank you!
And sorry for being a nuisance today, but I realized that I have made a typo in the video title screen and I couldn't stand looking at it, so I reuploded the re-edited video on this link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs_gYsylXNc

Could you please change it if you have the time?

Thanks again! And also thanks for the awesome (with an e) mod!

Left a like, great video!