Author Topic: Area 51 - General Feedback thread  (Read 153998 times)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Re: UFO Redux - General Feedback thread
« Reply #885 on: December 11, 2015, 03:52:13 pm »
I've also got another question, if you don't mind.  Is redux compatible with luke's extra ufos mod?

Redux already includes Luke's Extra mods :)

Offline lessthanoff1

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: December 11, 2015, 09:47:04 pm »
Redux already includes Luke's Extra mods :)

Oh!  Awesome.  :P

Thanks, Hobbes~. 

Offline SIMON

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: December 12, 2015, 12:08:55 am »
Currently playing v0.8d with nightly 2015_12_08_2213 and have a weird one that can crash the game to the desktop. I recently did a docked ship mission with collaborators, tanks and hybrids and when I checked the equip craft/armor screen there are 2 cultist armor available. But if you equip them and try to view your troop in the inventory screen it crashes. The armor in question isn't in the stores, ufopaedia and can't be sold. Picture and save attached.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: December 12, 2015, 12:16:17 am »
Currently playing v0.8d with nightly 2015_12_08_2213 and have a weird one that can crash the game to the desktop. I recently did a docked ship mission with collaborators, tanks and hybrids and when I checked the equip craft/armor screen there are 2 cultist armor available. But if you equip them and try to view your troop in the inventory screen it crashes. The armor in question isn't in the stores, ufopaedia and can't be sold. Picture and save attached.

Leftover code from the original source. Fixed and thanks!

I'm going to release 0.8e over the weekend with this fix plus a couple of new things:
* Muton Berserker (from Xeno Operations latest version) and Muton Elite (Muton Brain Guard from Hardmore Expansion) will be introduced
* Combat Armor will be reintroduced to fill the empty niche between Alloy Vest and Personal Armor

I'm also working to add the Spacefarer and the Vineman of previous posts but I haven't made my mind about their exact mechanic. The space farer could reveal a zombie underneath upon death, which would be the Vineman terror unit packed in armor.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 05:19:44 am by Hobbes »

Offline davide

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: December 12, 2015, 11:52:33 am »
Goods!

Do you think to add Hellrazor's UFOs to Redux ?

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: December 13, 2015, 06:30:28 am »
Goods!

Do you think to add Hellrazor's UFOs to Redux ?

The only one I could consider adding is the Labship, since it fits the circular design of the UFOs in vanilla. The others are nice designs but to me their design is non-circular.

I'm a bit divided over the issue of being able to move into those UFO walls as OXC allows, to me it is a bit more challenging when you can't do it like vanilla.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 06:33:05 am by Hobbes »

Offline celebithil

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: December 13, 2015, 08:27:02 am »
Leftover code from the original source. Fixed and thanks!

I'm going to release 0.8e over the weekend with this fix plus a couple of new things:
* Muton Berserker (from Xeno Operations latest version) and Muton Elite (Muton Brain Guard from Hardmore Expansion) will be introduced
* Combat Armor will be reintroduced to fill the empty niche between Alloy Vest and Personal Armor

I'm also working to add the Spacefarer and the Vineman of previous posts but I haven't made my mind about their exact mechanic. The space farer could reveal a zombie underneath upon death, which would be the Vineman terror unit packed in armor.
Are you planning add Plasma Sniper Rifle in mod?

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: December 13, 2015, 08:48:13 am »
Are you planning add Plasma Sniper Rifle in mod?

Have you checked the Laser Sniper Rifle? With 120 power (plus the additional damage to Sectopods), great accuracy and unlimited ammo, I think it turns a Plasma Sniper Rifle redundant.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 03:13:36 pm by Hobbes »

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #893 on: December 13, 2015, 02:47:21 pm »
Hobbes, i just upgraded all those nice new Terrains in my Mod,
and i noticed something.

See this screenshot here, the tile the soldier is standing on, doesn't cost you any energy while walking on it.
Should be Grasslandpolar terrain, or Savannapolar.

Btw i actually reduced the length of the terrainpack terrain definitions with anchors quite a bit, interested?

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: December 13, 2015, 03:19:25 pm »
Hobbes, i just upgraded all those nice new Terrains in my Mod,
and i noticed something.

See this screenshot here, the tile the soldier is standing on, doesn't cost you any energy while walking on it.
Should be Grasslandpolar terrain, or Savannapolar.

Btw i actually reduced the length of the terrainpack terrain definitions with anchors quite a bit, interested?

Fixed, thanks.

I've already reduced the definitions of Redux with anchors quite a bit, since I'll be using those for the next version of the terrain pack, did you see those? It can be possible to reduce a little more but too much of it and it can get difficult to remember where you first placed the anchor.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #895 on: December 13, 2015, 05:21:28 pm »
Fixed, thanks.

Could you post the changed file so i can include it directly :>

I've already reduced the definitions of Redux with anchors quite a bit, since I'll be using those for the next version of the terrain pack, did you see those? It can be possible to reduce a little more but too much of it and it can get difficult to remember where you first placed the anchor.

Well there was quite some stuff which i managed to reduce, exspecially since u unified the mapDataSet of some terrains.
If you like take a look at the attached terrains.rul file. Despite the terrormission stuff, it should reflect stuff from the terrainpack only very good.

I haven't started integrating any of your new Missions thou, since i still need to find out how region and area stuff works correctly, but that will come soon.
I like the crashed plane terrain, with its explosive surprises :D

One more question, the Area51 terrain you use in UFO Redux, is it compatible with the Area51 terrain which was is in the terrain pack originally?
Did you rename those files? I will probably use the new ones anyway, but i am wondering, why so many different MCD files exist. for the same maps.

Also so far i haven't found out how you managed to put MADURBAN_SNOW on the globe...

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: December 13, 2015, 06:05:28 pm »
Could you post the changed file so i can include it directly :>

You just need to delete the storeItem field on the CULTIST_ARMOR entry on armor.

Well there was quite some stuff which i managed to reduce, exspecially since u unified the mapDataSet of some terrains.
If you like take a look at the attached terrains.rul file. Despite the terrormission stuff, it should reflect stuff from the terrainpack only very good.

Had a look, there's a few ones I can use anchors, but your ruleset is still based on the old terrain pack, so most has probably already been covered in Redux.

I haven't started integrating any of your new Missions thou, since i still need to find out how region and area stuff works correctly, but that will come soon.

Also so far i haven't found out how you managed to put MADURBAN_SNOW on the globe...

The appearance of MADURBAN_SNOW is related with the area/region settings :)

One more question, the Area51 terrain you use in UFO Redux, is it compatible with the Area51 terrain which was is in the terrain pack originally?
Did you rename those files? I will probably use the new ones anyway, but i am wondering, why so many different MCD files exist. for the same maps.

I renamed those files for some sanity. On the older system there was simply a letter to distinguish between MCD sets, like AREA51Y/X/W/Z, etc. But when I started adding alternative Area 51 terrains/missions after a certain point I had to change the designations (I ran out of alphabet letters!), so now the Area 51 MCD files follow a different convention. All Area51 terrains use 4 MCD sets that always contain the same amount of MCD entries:
* AREA51_Axx (65 MCD entries)
* AREA51_Bxx (17)
* AREA51_Cxx (63)
* AREA51_Dxx (140)

Each terrain uses different versions of those sets, with the xx suffix specifying its version, so the AREA51URBAN (used for terror sites on the terrain pack) now uses:
* AREA51_A1 (former AREA51W)
* AREA51_B1 (former AREA51X)
* AREA51_C1 (former AREA51Y)
* AREA51_D1 (former AREA51Z)

In comparison, the COMPLEXURBAN terrain uses:
* AREA51_A3
* AREA51_B2
* AREA51_C2
* AREA51_D4

Or, the Polar version of the AREA51EXTRACTION uses:
* AREA51_A1P (letters indicate regional variations: P for Polar, D for Desert, M for Mountain, etc.)
* AREA51_B1
* AREA51_C1
* AREA51_D3P

You should use the new files since they have bug fixes, and simply delete the old ones from your hard drive.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 06:11:20 pm by Hobbes »

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #897 on: December 13, 2015, 06:20:26 pm »
Had a look, there's a few ones I can use anchors, but your ruleset is still based on the old terrain pack, so most has probably already been covered in Redux.

Actually those are with your current files and settings i integrated from UFO Redux yesterday. I only focused on updating the ones i have and complete them, so i can then concentrate and learn about the new stuff you did. The Redux Ruleset and Maps/Routes/Terrains folder is getting emptier and emptier :>
There were a lot of double definitions in your Redux ruleset, so i sorted them all and placed the anchors for the terrains accordingly, you can use them if you like or throw away, i do not mind.

The appearance of MADURBAN_SNOW is related with the area/region settings :)

Ahh that is good to know, maybe within the next week i will dive into those.

I renamed those files for some sanity. On the older system there was simply a letter to distinguish between MCD sets, like AREA51Y/X/W/Z, etc. But when I started adding alternative Area 51 terrains/missions after a certain point I had to change the designations (I ran out of alphabet letters!), so now the Area 51 MCD files follow a different convention. All Area51 terrains use 4 MCD sets that always contain the same amount of MCD entries:
* AREA51_Axx (65 MCD entries)
* AREA51_Bxx (17)
* AREA51_Cxx (63)
* AREA51_Dxx (140)

Each terrain uses different versions of those sets, with the xx suffix specifying its version, so the AREA51URBAN (used for terror sites on the terrain pack) now uses:
* AREA51_A1 (former AREA51W)
* AREA51_B1 (former AREA51X)
* AREA51_C1 (former AREA51Y)
* AREA51_D1 (former AREA51Z)

In comparison, the COMPLEXURBAN terrain uses:
* AREA51_A3
* AREA51_B2
* AREA51_C2
* AREA51_D4

Or, the Polar version of the AREA51EXTRACTION uses:
* AREA51_A1P (letters indicate regional variations: P for Polar, D for Desert, M for Mountain, etc.)
* AREA51_B1
* AREA51_C1
* AREA51_D3P

You should use the new files since they have bug fixes, and simply delete the old ones from your hard drive.

Thanks for those file name clarifications. I will have fun remodeling stuff ^^

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #898 on: December 14, 2015, 09:13:33 pm »
Some Screenshots which may need correction!

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #899 on: December 14, 2015, 09:14:13 pm »
And some more!