Author Topic: Area 51 - General Feedback thread  (Read 194002 times)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Re: Re: [BETA][EXPANSION] UFO Redux - Playtesters needed
« Reply #810 on: October 25, 2015, 02:41:38 am »
Hi Hobbes, first play through for me, great mod so far +10. Got a CTD at Area 51, save file attached, just end the round and CTD.

Hey there. :)

Just had a look at your save file, I confirm the crash but this looks like an OpenXCom bug because it is caused by a Silacoid trying to go upstairs, but everything from Redux side looks OK.

It is possible to continue the game without a crash though, if the Silacoid decides to move somewhere else. Just move the HWP a bit and see if the game doesn't crash anymore. Otherwise, I think I can simply remove the offending Silacoid, if it keeps crashing after some attempts.

Offline CDRom

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: October 25, 2015, 05:06:49 am »
Thanks Hobbes, I gave that Silacoid very fatal wounds via save file edit, he died, no more CTD. Finished Area 51, got the data disks. Good to go.

Big thanks again!

Hey there. :)

Just had a look at your save file, I confirm the crash but this looks like an OpenXCom bug because it is caused by a Silacoid trying to go upstairs, but everything from Redux side looks OK.

It is possible to continue the game without a crash though, if the Silacoid decides to move somewhere else. Just move the HWP a bit and see if the game doesn't crash anymore. Otherwise, I think I can simply remove the offending Silacoid, if it keeps crashing after some attempts.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #812 on: October 25, 2015, 05:13:54 am »
Hobbes you gonna make a proper Bug report out of this for our developers, since this Silicoid Bug is around for a while now or?

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: October 25, 2015, 06:02:47 am »
Hobbes you gonna make a proper Bug report out of this for our developers, since this Silicoid Bug is around for a while now or?

I think a little bird will land on the developer's shoulder and whisper it to him.

Offline silencer_pl

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: October 25, 2015, 05:01:35 pm »
Have you increased UFO spawns? Everyday or two I'm now getting 2-3 Very Large, 2-3 Large and few small missions. Most of them land so I'm like have 3000 Elerium storage and currently can't spend on anything, because you've increased research time. Probably when I reach Fusion Ball Launcher I'll have like 1000 of them in each base :) but with so many missions per month it's really becoming a choir.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: October 25, 2015, 05:29:40 pm »
Have you increased UFO spawns? Everyday or two I'm now getting 2-3 Very Large, 2-3 Large and few small missions. Most of them land so I'm like have 3000 Elerium storage and currently can't spend on anything, because you've increased research time. Probably when I reach Fusion Ball Launcher I'll have like 1000 of them in each base :) but with so many missions per month it's really becoming a choir.

I haven't changed the number of UFOs spawned on vanilla missions but I have added 1 new alien mission (Overseer). It is possible though that you're getting repeated flybys, where the game for some reason repeats the same Overseer mission over and over, although I thought I had fixed this.

Offline silencer_pl

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: October 25, 2015, 05:30:46 pm »
But overseer flyby doesn't land and I'm getting a lot of landed missions.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: October 25, 2015, 09:50:23 pm »
But overseer flyby doesn't land and I'm getting a lot of landed missions.

It could be just a combination of the delays when you shoot down UFOs, and how UFO missions in the oceans land on the continents surrounding the waters. What I know is that I haven't changed anything about the vanilla UFO missions.

Offline GrossorMD

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: October 25, 2015, 10:55:39 pm »

Just checked with 0.7.7 and I don't see the Laser Minigun available on the Buy/Purchase menu, so maybe you're using an older save/version. Could you please check if that's the case?

Which of the new weapons do you think are OP? Conventional ones? Laser/Plasma ones?

after rechecking it appears that it only APPEARS on the ufopaedia without research... but it's not for sale. My mistake

I was concerned that grenade launchers might be OP (because of previous experiences with mods that introduced such indirect-fire weapons). However, after a few battles, I think it's not the case in redux: ammo, TU, accuracy and armor adequatedly balance them here, IMO.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: October 26, 2015, 01:44:19 am »
What's the correlation with Firestorm and Flying Suit?

No changes from vanilla, Flying Suit requires Power Suit and New Fighter Craft research.

after rechecking it appears that it only APPEARS on the ufopaedia without research... but it's not for sale. My mistake

I was concerned that grenade launchers might be OP (because of previous experiences with mods that introduced such indirect-fire weapons). However, after a few battles, I think it's not the case in redux: ammo, TU, accuracy and armor adequatedly balance them here, IMO.

I've fixed the Laser Minigun appearing on the UFOPaedia before research. The Grenade Launcher was imported from UFO2000, including its stats.

@all

0.7.8 is taking a bit longer because of... terrains :D

I've already posted a pic of the new terrain developed from XBase+ (originally from UFO2000), but here are more UFO2000 terrains that I'm adapting.
First, this the 3rd level of Storm Mountain

Then this is the original Siberia terrain

And finally, something very very dark is coming...

« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 01:59:43 am by Hobbes »

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #820 on: October 26, 2015, 07:28:50 am »
The first one reminds me of first world war trenches somehow, looking forward to that.
The sibiria one also good.

The last looks scaaaaary as shit...

Excellent work as usual Hobbes :>

Offline silencer_pl

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: October 26, 2015, 08:52:02 am »
No changes from vanilla, Flying Suit requires Power Suit and New Fighter Craft research.

From Ufopaedia:

Once you have researched the Power Suit and UFO Navigation (in either order, of course), you gain the ability to research the Flying Suit.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: October 26, 2015, 03:34:01 pm »
The last looks scaaaaary as shit...

The last terrain is called Hive and it was the first XCom terrain I ever designed.

From Ufopaedia:

Crap you're right sorry. I changed it because it would be very likely to get Fly Suit before Plasma and to make this armor also dependent on capturing the Alien Scientist (which is required for UFO Construction). I think I'll change the requirement to UFO Construction rather than New Fighter Craft though.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 03:37:44 pm by Hobbes »

Offline silencer_pl

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: October 26, 2015, 03:56:12 pm »
No worries, speaking of Hive, is researching Hive Data disk is the end of that? And does it provide some anti infiltration bonuses?

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: October 26, 2015, 03:59:44 pm »
No worries, speaking of Hive, is researching Hive Data disk is the end of that? And does it provide some anti infiltration bonuses?

Yes to both. After you recover and research the Hive Data Disk it stops the additional Infiltrations that can be generated by the Overseer UFO. You can still get the vanilla Infiltrations though and the other extra missions generated by the Overseer.