Author Topic: Area 51 - General Feedback thread  (Read 156911 times)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Re: Re: [BETA][EXPANSION] UFO Redux - Playtesters needed
« Reply #765 on: October 18, 2015, 10:20:33 pm »
By the way, I forgot to mention. There is a bug with the Red disk in Area 51. I've put the disk on 1x1 slot next to the 1x2 slot in belt next to medikit and the medikit went invisible - it was there just wasn't drawn. I could pick it up and it was visible but once put back it went invisible again. When I moved the disk to other slot it was ok.

Thanks, fixed.

I just finished converting Area 51 mission to the description I added before. I also added the Mudranger as the craft for this mission. I also kept the Gazers as possible to appear during the mission, although in low numbers.

Offline silencer_pl

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: October 18, 2015, 10:34:17 pm »
Since you're moving lasers towards early months what about Gauss Weapons? Will you remove them? I've tried the Gauss Rifle now. First of all - should the bullets be invisible? Secondly I don't know if they are worth building. Sure they are light, nice replacement for LMG, but still AC-AA rounds deal better damage and don't cost Elerium. With lasers coming earlier maybe make Gauss a post Plasma Gun to have very high AP damage.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: October 18, 2015, 10:54:00 pm »
Since you're moving lasers towards early months what about Gauss Weapons? Will you remove them? I've tried the Gauss Rifle now. First of all - should the bullets be invisible? Secondly I don't know if they are worth building. Sure they are light, nice replacement for LMG, but still AC-AA rounds deal better damage and don't cost Elerium. With lasers coming earlier maybe make Gauss a post Plasma Gun to have very high AP damage.

Nope, bullets shouldn't be invisible, bug there.

Gauss was conceived as a crude reverse engineering of alien tech - a design costly to produce and limited in capacity but that is superior to most conventional weapons. AC-AA has better damage, but AC + Clip weights 24, Gauss Rifle + Clip weights 11. I've just removed the Elerium required from the clips and moved them to the weapons instead, though.

Gauss probably could be set as requirement for Plasma tech once you capture the scientist. At this point I don't really feel like adding it as a top tier weaponset because it would involve redesigning a few things and you risk making plasma weapons redundant.

Offline silencer_pl

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: October 19, 2015, 12:43:55 am »
Finished Thin Man terror mission. Overall good scary mission, but felt a bit prolonged. Took me an hour to finish. Got 40 aliens. Found some 2 bugs:

Chrissy got stuck.

Either stairs aren't finished or they blew up, either way could only enter through far end:

« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 12:46:20 am by silencer_pl »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: October 19, 2015, 12:58:57 am »
Finished Thin Man terror mission. Overall good scary mission, but felt a bit prolonged. Took me an hour to finish. Got 40 aliens.

This one is going be to reduced from 100x70 to 70x60.

Chrissy got stuck.

I had spotted it before, thought I had already fixed it. Thanks.

Either stairs aren't finished or they blew up, either way could only enter through far end:

Blew up, just got a guy upstairs on New Battle.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 03:21:11 am by Hobbes »

Offline davide

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: October 19, 2015, 10:42:35 am »
...Took me an hour to finish. Got 40 aliens.

In my humble opinion, with full respectful of the ideas of others,

For me

In turn base strategic game time is not a problem: you could pause or save and suspend in any moment.

40 alien on a huge scenario when well distribute are not a block issue

but the mission has to be balanced about ammunitions and suitable weapons.

In general, special missions could/have to be very difficult, but them should be completed.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #771 on: October 19, 2015, 10:59:34 am »
In essence, having higher aliens numbers on a bigger map for example 60x60, isn't that much of a concern.
You need to adapt the laiens which do occur, so that the player can tackle them.

This includes, the time the mission occurs, the research the player has so done so far,
what kind of equipment is he able to bring towards the mission.

The alien he encounters should be killable by his techlevel, Ammunition is a concern, but you always can bring spares and send a soldier on
destribution duty.

What is more critical is the aliens going into a mass panic. Even Terrorunits can panic if enough of their comrades are killed in quick sequence.
The higher the numbers, the faster the player kills the aliens, the more visible becomes this.

If your alien numbers go over 28 aliens you can increase bravery to prevent a mass panic.
Indeed special Mission should be hard as fuck and unique in their apperance.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: October 19, 2015, 05:03:50 pm »
40 alien on a huge scenario when well distribute are not a block issue

but the mission has to be balanced about ammunitions and suitable weapons.

In general, special missions could/have to be very difficult, but them should be completed.

In essence, having higher aliens numbers on a bigger map for example 60x60, isn't that much of a concern.
You need to adapt the laiens which do occur, so that the player can tackle them.

This includes, the time the mission occurs, the research the player has so done so far,
what kind of equipment is he able to bring towards the mission.

The alien he encounters should be killable by his techlevel, Ammunition is a concern, but you always can bring spares and send a soldier on
destribution duty.

What is more critical is the aliens going into a mass panic. Even Terrorunits can panic if enough of their comrades are killed in quick sequence.
The higher the numbers, the faster the player kills the aliens, the more visible becomes this.

If your alien numbers go over 28 aliens you can increase bravery to prevent a mass panic.
Indeed special Mission should be hard as fuck and unique in their apperance.

The question is the 'sweet spot' - some people will enjoy 40+ aliens on a huge map, others will find it tiring. The more I develop Redux the more I go back to the original settings - raising alien bravery to deal with mass panic has the side effect that all aliens will be affected so they'll panic less than original.

Offline silencer_pl

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: October 19, 2015, 10:51:21 pm »
But Hobbes said he doesn't like two parters because it prolongs the mission, which he did exactly the same in large big missions. And I can finish trawlers in 30 minutes ;)

Offline GrossorMD

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: October 20, 2015, 12:13:10 pm »
Hmm, one question to regular players here: How balanced is this, combat-wise? I'm concerned that the new weapons might be a bit OP (?)

PD: laser minigun is bugged, can buy it at the market with no research prerreqs
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 08:11:36 pm by GrossorMD »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: October 20, 2015, 09:56:36 pm »
But Hobbes said he doesn't like two parters because it prolongs the mission, which he did exactly the same in large big missions. And I can finish trawlers in 30 minutes ;)

Meanwhile I've already reduced the Area 51 mission to 60x60 (from 80x80) and the Facility Extraction to 80x40 (from 100x60). Next ones on the chopping block are Liaison Base to 80x40 (from 100x100) and Docked Ship to 70x50 (from 100x60). Liaison Base will be the reverse of the Facility Extraction (you start outside and have to invade the base instead of escaping the base to the outside). The Capture mission will also be reduced from 70x70 to 60x60. Several of these missions now use the Mudranger APC or exit areas to deploy XCom squads instead of craft.

And I've also created a new mission, Facility Recovery, which is the opposite of Facility Defense, so you can get either scenario during the Facility Attacks. Both of those missions are 80x80 but at this point reducing their size would be nearly impossible without extensive map redesign and I'm not that concerned since most of the space is empty.

Hmm, one question to regular players here: How balanced is this, combat-wise? I'm concerned that the new weapons might be a bit OP (?)

PD: laser minigun is bugged, can buy it at the market with no research prerreqs

Just checked with 0.7.7 and I don't see the Laser Minigun available on the Buy/Purchase menu, so maybe you're using an older save/version. Could you please check if that's the case?

Which of the new weapons do you think are OP? Conventional ones? Laser/Plasma ones?

« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 10:10:24 pm by Hobbes »

Offline silencer_pl

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: October 20, 2015, 10:41:58 pm »
Base defense is again bugged. CTD. Same issue as previously upper level CTD.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 10:45:01 pm by silencer_pl »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: October 20, 2015, 10:45:04 pm »
Base defense is again bugged. CTD.

I need more details or a save game.

Offline silencer_pl

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: October 20, 2015, 11:43:18 pm »
Load this and change to floor 2.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: October 21, 2015, 12:16:14 am »
Load this and change to floor 2.

The fix is on the zipped file, just place the ruleset on the /RULESET folder of Redux and replace the existing one.

Usually these crashes are caused by a missing FLOOROB image for objects on the ground.

EDIT: Almost done with the re-sizing of the larger terrains, only need to finish Capture and Polis.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 07:20:13 am by Hobbes »