Author Topic: Area 51 - General Feedback thread  (Read 153052 times)

Offline Ai Limão

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: Area 51 - General Feedback thread
« Reply #1440 on: July 27, 2019, 09:58:08 pm »
A couple of tips:
Scientists only appear in Harvester, Abductor and LabShip UFOs, and only in missions with Sectoids, Floaters, Spacefarers, Snakemen, Gazers or Waspites. Harvesters and Abductors are the only Medium UFOs.
The best way is simply to stun every alien inside the UFO, and then move on top of their unconscious bodies. Go to inventory and when you put the cursor on top of the bodies it will display the type (and rank) of alien.
Finally, as the months progress there will other missions to unlock Elerium and advanced weapons that don't require capturing aliens, if you haven't unlock those techs yet. But you'll need to detect special 'bases' around the world.

Ah yes, I made it with 2 leaders, 1 navigator and 1 medic from a landed "very large" UFO, so now I have some fancier stuff to play with. Plus I think I got the laser gatling gun / sniper out of a File retrieval mission. I guess this was yet another case of "git gud". Now with the small launchers I can capture aliens more confidently. Will keep an eye out for the Elerium base/Medium UFOs, thanks for the tip.

Overall I'm really enjoying Area 51, it doesn't drastically change the game like Xpiratez or focus on some way overdone plot like X-Com Files. From all the big mods I've tried this is the only one that feels like a natural expansion of the original, and I'm very glad that you focused on adding and not changing, so thanks for your hard work on this!  ;D

Offline PaxCecilia

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: July 30, 2019, 01:11:43 am »
Not sure what the etiquette of asking for help installing the mod is. I'm getting this error:

ERROR: failed to load 'Area 51'; mod disabled
Error for 'HYBRID_WEAPON': offset '-2' has incorrect value in set 'BIGOBS.PCK'

Not sure if maybe I messed up a step installing: 1. steam version of XCOM, 2. OXCE, or 3. extracting the mod? First mod for Xcom I've ever used.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: July 30, 2019, 06:48:11 pm »
Ah yes, I made it with 2 leaders, 1 navigator and 1 medic from a landed "very large" UFO, so now I have some fancier stuff to play with. Plus I think I got the laser gatling gun / sniper out of a File retrieval mission. I guess this was yet another case of "git gud". Now with the small launchers I can capture aliens more confidently. Will keep an eye out for the Elerium base/Medium UFOs, thanks for the tip.

Overall I'm really enjoying Area 51, it doesn't drastically change the game like Xpiratez or focus on some way overdone plot like X-Com Files. From all the big mods I've tried this is the only one that feels like a natural expansion of the original, and I'm very glad that you focused on adding and not changing, so thanks for your hard work on this!  ;D

Fixed.  Download link version now compatible with latest OXCE changes. Thanks for the report!

Offline Ai Limão

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: August 18, 2019, 07:19:23 am »
https://i.imgur.com/UVtdC0z.png

Finally! Game looking good but there's a bug in one of the generated levels in which the enemy could go through diagonal walls: https://i.imgur.com/PGjHy6x.png

Offline tarsolyger

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: September 09, 2019, 06:46:13 am »
ERROR: failed to load 'Area 51'; mod disabled
Had the same problem, you can find the solution in this forum thread: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,7379.0.html

Offline Gfixcom

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: September 25, 2019, 01:02:38 pm »
Area 51 is a great mod, one of the best big ones. Thank you for your amazing work!

The one thing I don’t particularly like is the clutter that pilots cause on the battlefield. You’ve mentioned previously that it’s easy to disable them. How would one go about it?

Thank you in advance.

Offline LytaRyta

• Colonel
  • Lisbeth ;p My Engrish is easy bad, Csaba is dead!
    • View Profile
    • svetmightandmagic.cz
« Reply #1446 on: September 25, 2019, 11:39:43 pm »
indeed excellent mod!,

..but where is my topic (from yesterday) ?
just dissappear mysteriously :S

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: September 26, 2019, 12:08:18 am »
indeed excellent mod!,

..but where is my topic (from yesterday) ?
just dissappear mysteriously :S
Your topic from yesterday must have been moved to the X-Files section where it properly belonged :)

Offline LytaRyta

• Colonel
  • Lisbeth ;p My Engrish is easy bad, Csaba is dead!
    • View Profile
    • svetmightandmagic.cz
« Reply #1448 on: September 27, 2019, 01:41:18 am »
^^

..btw., but in fact, that character (person´ dossier) suggested by me, Tanya/Lyta Lyszbet, - would be more fitting here, into Area51 mod..

btw2 - why, EVEN WHY,  you all .."keep" and develop 2 (almost) IDENTICal -by-theme mods ? ?  with ~~exact identical topics, themes, things, leitmotives, contents, ideas, etc...

i personally would, at best, (as best solution)  -  just joint, /merge of 2 into 1big.. 

(  ..simply fuse them, combine them both, into 1 bigger mod, ..under name *Area51 x-Files*,  for example..
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 01:53:14 am by LytaRyta »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: September 27, 2019, 01:48:47 am »
btw2 - why, EVEN WHY,  you all .."keep" and develop 2 (almost) theme´IDENTICal  mod ? ?  with ~~exact identical topics, themes, things, leitmotives, contents, ideas, etc..

You are saying that there are no relevant differences?

Offline PPQ

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: October 20, 2019, 04:09:37 pm »
I am trying to use this mod with OXCE 6.0 because I physically can't find a download for 5.5 and I keep getting the same error message:
[20-10-2019_15-02-01]   [INFO]   Loading rulesets...
[20-10-2019_15-02-01]   [ERROR]   There are invalid/obsolete attributes in starting condition STR_XENOPHOBIA_A. Please review the ruleset.
[20-10-2019_15-02-01]   [ERROR]   There are invalid/obsolete attributes in starting condition STR_XENOPHOBIA_B. Please review the ruleset.
[20-10-2019_15-02-01]   [ERROR]   There are invalid/obsolete attributes in starting condition STR_XENOPHOBIA_C. Please review the ruleset.
[20-10-2019_15-02-01]   [WARN]   disabling mod with invalid ruleset: area51
[20-10-2019_15-02-01]   [ERROR]   failed to load 'Area 51'; mod disabled

Can this mod even work with 6.0 and if not where do I find a 5.5 download???

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • Aaand we're back!
    • View Profile
    • My Wiki
« Reply #1451 on: October 20, 2019, 04:11:30 pm »
Can this mod even work with 6.0 and if not where do I find a 5.5 download???

Yes, this mod works with 6.0... just upgrade to newest version: https://openxcom.mod.io/area-51

Offline PPQ

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: October 20, 2019, 07:11:52 pm »
Thanks for the reply. Sadly that won't help as that's the version I am getting the error on. I am also getting it on 0.971 and 0.97. The only version that works on my end is 0.962 and that one only works on the ancient version of regular openxcom I have stored on the side on my PC for some odd reason. Anything that requires the extended thing just crashes with the same error message.

Ironically enough I am basically a veteran on these forums but I just didn't need to post until I hit a problem. So I know my way around your download site and such. Sadly it didn't help.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 07:14:03 pm by PPQ »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • Aaand we're back!
    • View Profile
    • My Wiki
« Reply #1453 on: October 20, 2019, 07:22:44 pm »
I can only say that Hobbes and I have solved this issue some time ago and current version of Area51 does not have this problem anymore.
See attached screenshots as proof.

Either you have an old version of Area51, or an incorrectly installed one, or a mix of both.

Try a clean install.

PS: Hobbes likes to not increase version numbers... for whatever reason... so I recommend redownloading even if the number matches.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 07:24:42 pm by Meridian »

Offline PPQ

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: October 20, 2019, 08:38:46 pm »
A clean install did it. Thanks for the help.