Author Topic: Area 51 - General Feedback thread  (Read 144631 times)

Offline Ai Limão

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: Area 51 - General Feedback thread
« Reply #1440 on: July 27, 2019, 09:58:08 pm »
A couple of tips:
Scientists only appear in Harvester, Abductor and LabShip UFOs, and only in missions with Sectoids, Floaters, Spacefarers, Snakemen, Gazers or Waspites. Harvesters and Abductors are the only Medium UFOs.
The best way is simply to stun every alien inside the UFO, and then move on top of their unconscious bodies. Go to inventory and when you put the cursor on top of the bodies it will display the type (and rank) of alien.
Finally, as the months progress there will other missions to unlock Elerium and advanced weapons that don't require capturing aliens, if you haven't unlock those techs yet. But you'll need to detect special 'bases' around the world.

Ah yes, I made it with 2 leaders, 1 navigator and 1 medic from a landed "very large" UFO, so now I have some fancier stuff to play with. Plus I think I got the laser gatling gun / sniper out of a File retrieval mission. I guess this was yet another case of "git gud". Now with the small launchers I can capture aliens more confidently. Will keep an eye out for the Elerium base/Medium UFOs, thanks for the tip.

Overall I'm really enjoying Area 51, it doesn't drastically change the game like Xpiratez or focus on some way overdone plot like X-Com Files. From all the big mods I've tried this is the only one that feels like a natural expansion of the original, and I'm very glad that you focused on adding and not changing, so thanks for your hard work on this!  ;D

Offline PaxCecilia

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: July 30, 2019, 01:11:43 am »
Not sure what the etiquette of asking for help installing the mod is. I'm getting this error:

ERROR: failed to load 'Area 51'; mod disabled
Error for 'HYBRID_WEAPON': offset '-2' has incorrect value in set 'BIGOBS.PCK'

Not sure if maybe I messed up a step installing: 1. steam version of XCOM, 2. OXCE, or 3. extracting the mod? First mod for Xcom I've ever used.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: July 30, 2019, 06:48:11 pm »
Ah yes, I made it with 2 leaders, 1 navigator and 1 medic from a landed "very large" UFO, so now I have some fancier stuff to play with. Plus I think I got the laser gatling gun / sniper out of a File retrieval mission. I guess this was yet another case of "git gud". Now with the small launchers I can capture aliens more confidently. Will keep an eye out for the Elerium base/Medium UFOs, thanks for the tip.

Overall I'm really enjoying Area 51, it doesn't drastically change the game like Xpiratez or focus on some way overdone plot like X-Com Files. From all the big mods I've tried this is the only one that feels like a natural expansion of the original, and I'm very glad that you focused on adding and not changing, so thanks for your hard work on this!  ;D

Fixed.  Download link version now compatible with latest OXCE changes. Thanks for the report!

Offline Ai Limão

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: August 18, 2019, 07:19:23 am »
https://i.imgur.com/UVtdC0z.png

Finally! Game looking good but there's a bug in one of the generated levels in which the enemy could go through diagonal walls: https://i.imgur.com/PGjHy6x.png

Offline tarsolyger

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: September 09, 2019, 06:46:13 am »
ERROR: failed to load 'Area 51'; mod disabled
Error for 'HYBRID_WEAPON': offset '-2' has incorrect value in set 'BIGOBS.PCK'
Had the same problem, you can find the solution in this forum thread: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,7379.0.html