Author Topic: Area 51 - General Feedback thread  (Read 148930 times)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Re: Area 51 - General Feedback thread
« Reply #1410 on: May 02, 2019, 02:47:53 pm »
A terror mission is happening in Oslo, but it always crashes with "no xcom units could be placed on the map" whenever I try to land there.  RNG reseeding doesn't seem to work either, it crashes no matter what.

Which of the error messages do you get?

[FATAL]   A fatal error has occurred: Map generator encountered an error: Craft (MapBlock: SKYRANGER) could not be placed on the map. You may try turning on 'save scumming' to work around this issue.

or this?

[FATAL]   OpenXcom has crashed: Map generator encountered an error: no xcom units could be placed on the map.

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: May 02, 2019, 03:11:46 pm »
The latter one, the one that says "no xcom units could be placed on the map".  I attached the save file so you can see for yourself.  I have absolutely no idea what could be causing this, or how to fix it.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: May 02, 2019, 03:32:28 pm »
The latter one, the one that says "no xcom units could be placed on the map".  I attached the save file so you can see for yourself.  I have absolutely no idea what could be causing this, or how to fix it.

I saw the save file but it never crashed upon reaching the terror site, with countless tries.

But from the site location I could tell which terrain might be causing the error and I think I found the issue, and I've uploaded a fix to the links. Can you please check if you still get the error?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 03:40:31 pm by Hobbes »

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: May 02, 2019, 03:51:38 pm »
No luck, it's still happening to me :(

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: May 02, 2019, 03:54:28 pm »
And you have the Save Scumming option on? You already mentioned RNG, just checking.

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: May 02, 2019, 03:55:19 pm »
Yeah.  No matter how much I reroll the RNG, it still happens.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: May 02, 2019, 04:11:58 pm »
OK, just did a number of attempts:
* If I try your save, without Save Scumming and without the fix I've already uploaded to 0.971, it crashes
* If I try with Save Scumming and without fix, I doesn't crash at first, but it will eventually crash once the bugged terrain is selected by RNG (there are 9 possible terrains, so it might take a while)
* If I try with Save Scumming and fix it doesn't crash

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: May 02, 2019, 04:25:08 pm »
I finally got it working.

...and I have to admit something: I don't have save scumming enabled.  What I did was go to the inventory from the craft screen, that used to reroll the RNG at least back in X-Piratez but apparently not here?  Point is, it wasn't being rerolled so I kept getting the same outcome.  It's only when I started a new research topic (my prior rerolling method) that the mission finally worked without crashing.

I hope this wasn't too much trouble.  At the very least, there's no more chance of this bugged terrain showing up ever again.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: May 02, 2019, 05:19:07 pm »
...and I have to admit something: I don't have save scumming enabled.  What I did was go to the inventory from the craft screen, that used to reroll the RNG at least back in X-Piratez but apparently not here?  Point is, it wasn't being rerolled so I kept getting the same outcome.  It's only when I started a new research topic (my prior rerolling method) that the mission finally worked without crashing.

I hope this wasn't too much trouble.  At the very least, there's no more chance of this bugged terrain showing up ever again.

It was a terrain I used to test stuff, and then I forgot to remove it from the terrain list for those terror missions, my mistake.

My initial concern was if Downtown terrain was acting up again - it has a very complex map block placement script which potentially can cause issues with XCom craft placement, although the map generation rules should always leave enough space available, it's just a matter of the game engine trying enough times to place it. With save scumming on there shouldn't be any problems - but your answer to the error message told me the issue was something else.

In any case, I'm glad it's fixed :)

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: May 15, 2019, 02:27:03 am »
The jarhead corpse is missing its UFOpedia entry, but all it takes is adding in one simple missing line to fix it.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: May 15, 2019, 04:31:59 am »
The jarhead corpse is missing its UFOpedia entry, but all it takes is adding in one simple missing line to fix it.

Jarheads aren't used and they'll be eventually removed in a code clean-up, thanks for the bug report.

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: May 16, 2019, 01:30:32 am »
Really?  I could've sworn I fought jarheads in an earlier version.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: May 16, 2019, 02:11:01 am »
Really?  I could've sworn I fought jarheads in an earlier version.

And you likely did, they were included for a while until I noticed that their only distinguishing feature were the sprites.

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: May 17, 2019, 12:39:31 am »
That and I guess they were redundant now that the spacefarers can actually kill.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: May 17, 2019, 01:47:23 am »
That and I guess they were redundant now that the spacefarers can actually kill.

I have a recollection that I wanted to use them for specific missions, but then circumstances turned against it. It ended up keeping their Puffer terrorist and giving it to the Spacefarers to make them more eclectic.