Author Topic: Area 51 - General Feedback thread  (Read 148768 times)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Re: Area 51 - General Feedback thread
« Reply #1365 on: January 16, 2019, 05:10:22 pm »
Hey Hobbes, I've found what aircraft weapon named as "Plasma cannon" in research list, but at manufacture it's appears as "Plasma beam". Is that correct?

That's how it appears on the vanilla game - I haven't changed anything about it
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 06:14:17 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline Shiroi Bara

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: January 17, 2019, 10:09:52 pm »
I don't want bump old topics or create new one, so I just ask here: why some small landing undamaged UFO's has no Elerium-115 as loot when I finished the mission? How they fly then? Or it's just implemented by default like Vanilla may be?

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: January 18, 2019, 01:52:08 am »
I don't want bump old topics or create new one, so I just ask here: why some small landing undamaged UFO's has no Elerium-115 as loot when I finished the mission? How they fly then? Or it's just implemented by default like Vanilla may be?

The missing Elerium bug has been reported before and IIRC, it is not exclusive to this mod. Sadly no one has figured out yet what causes it :(

Offline Shiroi Bara

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: January 19, 2019, 03:14:45 am »
Questions about Spacefarer's attack - sometimes they put your soldiers on fire and sometimes they do some electric attack, if I read researched topic correctly. But few things confuse me - when my soldiers getting hurts from spacefare's attacks, on their status screen they has no fatal wounds, but despite this, soldiers still losing their health every turn and eventually dies. Same for fire - no fatal wounds and I have no idea how extinguish them. So how to survive against them and is any method to cancel burning fire and heal hidden wounds?

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: January 19, 2019, 03:09:05 pm »
Questions about Spacefarer's attack - sometimes they put your soldiers on fire and sometimes they do some electric attack, if I read researched topic correctly. But few things confuse me - when my soldiers getting hurts from spacefare's attacks, on their status screen they has no fatal wounds, but despite this, soldiers still losing their health every turn and eventually dies. Same for fire - no fatal wounds and I have no idea how extinguish them. So how to survive against them and is any method to cancel burning fire and heal hidden wounds?

The Spacefarers' attack varies between 3 damageTypes, depending on their rank: stun, melee and fire. You get the same animation and sound for the 3 damageTypes, since the attack is supposed to use their 'psionic' powers (it actually doesn't use the psionic mechanics of Ethereals and such, just the sound and animation).

I don't think melee can cause fatal wounds but I will check later with the developers. From your description it seems that the same soldier is being targeted by a melee attack several turns in a row, which is causing them to eventually die. But if you keep seeing this happening, then make a save file and send it to me because it sounds like a bug with OXC, not the mod.

On the vanilla game fire can't be put out. But if you are using OXCE, Meridian has created a Fire Extinguisher mod that I will attach to this post. I haven't added it to the mod because that would require making Area 51 dependent on OXCE for it to work, and I prefer to keep the mod designed to be used with the vanilla OXC.

Offline Shiroi Bara

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: January 19, 2019, 03:42:43 pm »
Thanks for explaining, I'll try test Spacefare's attacks and their effect on my soldiers on new save file asap.
The Spacefarers' attack varies between 3 damageTypes, depending on their rank: stun, melee and fire.
Yeah, I figured it out when got scientist in March (but fails miserably later) - they using fire attacks (if I not mistaken), it's good opportunity check ranks and try to capture it, if no mind probe unlocked. But I never saw their stun attacks in my gameplay. Meridian's let's play has it and I asked myself - why I not encounter it yet, may be Hobbes has changed something, because a lot of time passed.
By the way, any plans upload new fixed archives yet or you still want collect and fix more bugs before doing it? Sorry for being unpatience, just don't want encounter that crash bug with map generating what you already fixed :) Of course I can remove Ironman option from my save file and turn on save scamming to pass it, but I won't. It's cheating. :)
P.S.
Command Guard decided to visit my base. Alien control almost every turn, boo... base lost. August was last month when I survived. By the way I used a lot of incendiaries grenades on Phasers. They walked burned, but not dies even after few turns. Strange, early in Council missions I had no problems killing them. Or may be it was some elite guys who resist to everything? Anyway Elite Mutons, Overlords, Phasers and Ethereals just crashed my bones. Sadly and funny. Damn, I have no idea how to survive such missions. And for my opinion, if you not detected any medium ships with scientists at March, you probably screwed later very fast.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 09:41:38 pm by Shiroi Bara »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: January 19, 2019, 09:30:50 pm »
Thanks for explaining, I'll try test Spacefare's attacks and their effect on my soldiers on new save file asap. Yeah, I figured it out when got scientist in March (but fails miserably later) - they using fire attacks (if I not mistaken), it's good opportunity check ranks and try to capture it, if no mind probe unlocked. But I never saw their stun attacks in my gameplay. Meridian's let's play has it and I asked myself - why I not encounter it yet, may be Hobbes has changed something, because a lot of time passed.

On Meridian's LP the Spacefarers' attack only consisted of stun, and I decided to add some variety as I was watching it, so the stun/melee/fire is a recent change. I've checked and each of the four Spacefarer ranks (Soldier, Scientist, Leader, Commander) has 2 types of attack possible.

By the way, any plans upload new fixed archives yet or you still want collect and fix more bugs before doing it? Sorry for being unpatience, just don't want encounter that crash bug with map generating what you already fixed :) Of course I can remove Ironman option from my save file and turn on save scamming to pass it, but I won't. It's cheating. :)

I'll eventually add an update because I've also been fixing some other maps lately, but I'm still trying to figure out another map bug that was reported but without any info on the terrain, which requires me to check a lot of coding.

But I've attached the fix to the issue you encountered, just download the file and unzip it to /Documents/OpenXCom/mods/Area51/MAPS/ and replace the existing BIOLABDEFENSE_29.MAP file. That will fix it :)

Offline Shiroi Bara

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: January 19, 2019, 09:45:17 pm »
Got it! Thanks! Check my early post with P.S. what I added with base defense mission, any suggestions?

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: January 19, 2019, 11:41:41 pm »
P.S.
Command Guard decided to visit my base. Alien control almost every turn, boo... base lost. August was last month when I survived. By the way I used a lot of incendiaries grenades on Phasers. They walked burned, but not dies even after few turns. Strange, early in Council missions I had no problems killing them. Or may be it was some elite guys who resist to everything? Anyway Elite Mutons, Overlords, Phasers and Ethereals just crashed my bones. Sadly and funny. Damn, I have no idea how to survive such missions. And for my opinion, if you not detected any medium ships with scientists at March, you probably screwed later very fast.

Command Guard has upgraded Phasers (Phaser Cyborg) - they have better stats but they're also more susceptible to be affected by other weapons other than fire.

If you haven't unlocked Elerium, there's another hidden facility like the one with the Alien Crystal that will eventually appear from month 7 onwards and that unlocks the high tier Laser and Gauss weapon, as well as the Plasma Blaster. You still need to get Elerium to win the game and develop advanced armors but this allows you to get some of the best weapons to help survive.

Offline Shiroi Bara

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: February 01, 2019, 06:46:20 pm »
Well, after 36 tries plus around 10 or 15 what I have not counter I finally finished Superhuman Ironman. Playing this on OXCE was absolutely madness and nightmare. Hunter Killers ships make game incredibly harder. Ethereals could control soldiers with 100! PSI strength as well, so better not play with them. New big Interceptor  ship is awesome, but can't deal with Overseers anyway. To be honest I have encounter only 2 of those during my play through. Overlords is nightmare but alloys shotguns could do the trick, only problem come on close distance and not been killed by reaction fire. What else I can say? Some council missions could be ignored, especially if they pops in regions were big alien activities and HK ships pops up. Negative score must be nullified by doing small ships near you base(s). Getting scientist at March or May absolutely important because  you need plasma cannons to deal with HKs.  And opening psionics  asap important too, not even for psi attacks, but to figure out how weak or strong your soldiers to psi. Superhuman Ironman on EXCE very good challenge for diehard fans of this game. New alien base layouts is very interested but I haven't win single mission, only managed  captured 2 Ethereals Commanders anyway. Thank you again for this awesome mod! I'll probably redo this later, but on lower difficulty and not Ironman to help find other bugs include some cosmetics and just for fun. And apologizes for my broken English as always :)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: February 02, 2019, 08:07:10 pm »
Well, after 36 tries plus around 10 or 15 what I have not counter I finally finished Superhuman Ironman. Playing this on OXCE was absolutely madness and nightmare. Hunter Killers ships make game incredibly harder. Ethereals could control soldiers with 100! PSI strength as well, so better not play with them. New big Interceptor  ship is awesome, but can't deal with Overseers anyway. To be honest I have encounter only 2 of those during my play through. Overlords is nightmare but alloys shotguns could do the trick, only problem come on close distance and not been killed by reaction fire. What else I can say? Some council missions could be ignored, especially if they pops in regions were big alien activities and HK ships pops up. Negative score must be nullified by doing small ships near you base(s). Getting scientist at March or May absolutely important because  you need plasma cannons to deal with HKs.  And opening psionics  asap important too, not even for psi attacks, but to figure out how weak or strong your soldiers to psi. Superhuman Ironman on EXCE very good challenge for diehard fans of this game. New alien base layouts is very interested but I haven't win single mission, only managed  captured 2 Ethereals Commanders anyway. Thank you again for this awesome mod! I'll probably redo this later, but on lower difficulty and not Ironman to help find other bugs include some cosmetics and just for fun. And apologizes for my broken English as always :)

Thanks for the feedback!

Just one clarification: this mod doesn't change anything about Ethereals or psi use, so what you've experienced is also possible in vanilla.

One question: would you recommend that HKs are a must have for this mod? (right now they are only active when using OXCE?)

Offline Shiroi Bara

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: February 03, 2019, 10:18:19 pm »
One question: would you recommend that HKs are a must have for this mod? (right now they are only active when using OXCE?)
Idea with HK is fresh air for this game. It's absolutely change mechanics, tactics and balance - I mean what you can't  just chase large or very large UFOs with you transport ship waiting for it's landing. It could be HK now and you need approach them very carefully or even avoid them. Yes, sometimes they land but If you slow and not catch them while they're on the ground they may start fly again and you know what it means for you poor Skyranger :) It's not bad to keep them permanently in this mod, but for my opinion probability of their  presents should be balanced according difficulty plus their amount and size too. But I think it's already in game rules files (not examine them all anyway). By the way, how do you planing to add them to standard version of openxcom? Is any option now there?

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: February 04, 2019, 07:49:15 pm »
Idea with HK is fresh air for this game. It's absolutely change mechanics, tactics and balance - I mean what you can't  just chase large or very large UFOs with you transport ship waiting for it's landing. It could be HK now and you need approach them very carefully or even avoid them. Yes, sometimes they land but If you slow and not catch them while they're on the ground they may start fly again and you know what it means for you poor Skyranger :)

There are a couple of factors that mitigate this issue:
* Only Large Scouts, Terror Ships, Battleships and Overseer UFOs can be HKs
* HKs can only be appear in Base, Infiltration, Retaliation and Terror alien missions
* The chance of a UFO being an HK can be 50, 66 or 75% (larger UFOs have a bigger chance)

So you can safely chase Supply Ships (except if they're on any of the missions listed above, where one of the other UFOs might be an HK), but with landed Battleships will always be a huge risk sending an single Skyranger.

It's not bad to keep them permanently in this mod, but for my opinion probability of their  presents should be balanced according difficulty plus their amount and size too. But I think it's already in game rules files (not examine them all anyway). By the way, how do you planing to add them to standard version of openxcom? Is any option now there?

Making the appearance of HKs dependent on difficulty might be possible, by lowering the odds of HK appearance.

It isn't possible to add HKs to the nightlies (standard version) because the code was only implemented in OXCE by Meridian. What I've been considering is if I make Area 51 dependent on OXCE, but that would mean that it wouldn't be possible to run it on standard openxcom (nightlies) and the player always would need to download OXCE.

Offline Shiroi Bara

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: February 27, 2019, 02:33:56 pm »
Playing game on normal Openxcom now (not OXCE), testing it again. Superhuman still very hard, but I'm not God player like our Meridian so I'm failing a lot. Not Ironman, but I'm not loading old saves anyway. So far got one crash, seems another map issue, sadly but I had no save file now to reproduce. But this defense site looks strange - no name of area.

You can reproduce it with autogeoscape file. Mission will pop in few second after you loaded it and speed up the timer. Could you please check it and when you resolved it (if it's not Openxcom related bug) post fixed files here?

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: March 01, 2019, 12:50:38 am »
Playing game on normal Openxcom now (not OXCE), testing it again. Superhuman still very hard, but I'm not God player like our Meridian so I'm failing a lot. Not Ironman, but I'm not loading old saves anyway. So far got one crash, seems another map issue, sadly but I had no save file now to reproduce. But this defense site looks strange - no name of area.

You can reproduce it with autogeoscape file. Mission will pop in few second after you loaded it and speed up the timer. Could you please check it and when you resolved it (if it's not Openxcom related bug) post fixed files here?

Just tried your save and the mission started without any crashes when the Skyranger reached it, I tried it 3 times without problems.

As for the missing name, I'm trying to understand what's causing the issue because I've just started a new game and was able to reproduce the same mission, but the name appeared as it should.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 12:55:08 am by Hobbes »