Author Topic: Area 51 - General Feedback thread  (Read 174921 times)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Re: Area 51 - General Feedback thread
« Reply #1230 on: August 20, 2016, 08:47:14 am »
I just saw a medium scout do an alien supply mission, instead of a supply ship.  Is that normal?

Yeah, all alien missions now have 2 alternative UFO waves, in addition to the vanilla one. Most of the new waves are 'lighter', i.e. contain less UFOs than vanilla or use smaller UFOs, like the Medium/Large scouts

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: August 20, 2016, 01:02:35 pm »
Oh, so it's on purpose.

Why then would they use scouts for supply runs?  They don't have the cargo space of a supply ship :P

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • Aaand we're back!
    • View Profile
    • My Wiki
« Reply #1232 on: August 20, 2016, 01:05:07 pm »
Oh, so it's on purpose.

Why then would they use scouts for supply runs?  They don't have the cargo space of a supply ship :P

For variety and our playing pleasure?

But maybe the big ones carry sectopods and plasma cannons; and the small ones carry cybermites and alien grenades :)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1233 on: August 20, 2016, 01:59:10 pm »
But maybe the big ones carry sectopods and plasma cannons; and the small ones carry cybermites and alien grenades :)

Or prostitutes for the Commander.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: August 20, 2016, 04:47:23 pm »
Or prostitutes for the Commander.

Which would give a whole new meaning to 'Alien Entertainment"  ;)

I could also change the name of the mission so that it would appear 'Commander Entertainment' on the Hyperwave Decoder and leave the player scratching his head as to what is that all about

Alas, no, Meridian's explanation is more correct. No hookers from Betelgeuse on this game :(
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 05:00:40 pm by Hobbes »

Offline Drasnighta

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: August 20, 2016, 07:32:25 pm »
Of course not.

They're from Rigel 7.

Not Betelgeuse  :D

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: August 21, 2016, 01:37:35 pm »
Space Invaders! :-)

Somewhat related: Crop Circles in one of my own mapblocks...

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1237 on: August 22, 2016, 12:29:43 am »
Space Invaders! :-)

Actually it was me :P

Keep them blocks coming, man!

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: August 27, 2016, 03:32:46 pm »
- It seems that most areas in the Biolab map count as exit areas, making it possible to abort outside of the green exit area and still get back your entire squad.
- A lot of terrain look like garbled messes when viewed in the minimap (like the TFTD ship, for example).
- Stun grenade graphic seems to lack transparency, blocking out items to its right and bottom.  Same thing with the Thunderstorm's damage indicator, it's covered in a green square (not sure if Blackbird and Stormrider also have it).
- Stunning an armored sectopod actually gets you a live armored sectopod afterwards instead of a corpse like with other mechanical units.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: August 27, 2016, 04:52:49 pm »
- It seems that most areas in the Biolab map count as exit areas, making it possible to abort outside of the green exit area and still get back your entire squad.

One question: did you previously reported this for the Siberia terrain? I was under that impression but from the Biolab mention I think I might have found the source of this bug.

- A lot of terrain look like garbled messes when viewed in the minimap (like the TFTD ship, for example).

It is currently impossible to reproduce the TFTD terrains on minimap because there's no way to use the TFTD minimap images on UFO or vice-versa. There isn't also a way to add new images, so new terrains will always have to use the old minimap images, which sometimes doesn't fit.

- Stun grenade graphic seems to lack transparency, blocking out items to its right and bottom.  Same thing with the Thunderstorm's damage indicator, it's covered in a green square (not sure if Blackbird and Stormrider also have it).
- Stunning an armored sectopod actually gets you a live armored sectopod afterwards instead of a corpse like with other mechanical units.

I'll fix those, thank you!

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: August 27, 2016, 05:43:06 pm »
One question: did you previously reported this for the Siberia terrain? I was under that impression but from the Biolab mention I think I might have found the source of this bug.

I did report the same thing for the Siberia terrain, where the Xcom base areas counted as exit areas.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: August 27, 2016, 07:04:11 pm »
I did report the same thing for the Siberia terrain, where the Xcom base areas counted as exit areas.

I've just updated the links with the bugfixes for this terrain, plus Biolab and Storm Mountain (which also had the issue)

I've fixed also the transparency for the 2 crafts (Stormrider and Thunderstorm, Blackbird is fine).

I think I also fixed the Armored Sectopod being recovered but there's an issue that I can't explain. The regular Sectopod has 'recover: true' but it isn't supposed to be captured either, which is the same setting that the Armored Sectopod had. There's probably something that I am missing here, but I set that flag to 'false' so you shouldn't ever capture an Armored Sectopod.

I still have some more updates to the Geoscape coming up but they aren't finished yet. But they're merely cosmetic issues that I'm working on for the new version of the Terrain Pac

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: August 28, 2016, 04:46:23 pm »
One of the alien base maps (the one where you infiltrate an underground base from the surface, that was a cool map btw) also had exit areas outside the green exit area.  And also, holodrones can be captured.

Speaking of the Blackbird, I never used it because it can't carry any HWPs.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: August 29, 2016, 03:35:06 am »
One of the alien base maps (the one where you infiltrate an underground base from the surface, that was a cool map btw) also had exit areas outside the green exit area.  And also, holodrones can be captured.

Nicely spotted about alien Colony. Holodrones have exactly the same settings than vanilla Sectopods, which would assume that you can capture those as well. I'll change those.

Speaking of the Blackbird, I never used it because it can't carry any HWPs.

The Blackbird is like a Porsche - very cool to drive once in a while, but not much efficient when compared to an utility car. The original version could carry a single weapon like the Lightning

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: August 29, 2016, 04:23:48 am »
I blew up some more alien bases.  Going straight to the control center and then getting out proved troublesome in a few instances.

In the vanilla alien base, the empty brain chambers also had control centers to blow up so you have to find those and the main command center.  And in the underground alien base, a room had a few tiny control center corners hidden from view which also needed to be blown up.