Author Topic: Area 51 - General Feedback thread  (Read 128598 times)

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
Area 51 - General Feedback thread
« on: February 07, 2015, 09:49:49 am »
Started testplaying, but changed the capacity for Skyranger and Avenger back to original. Because i don't like smaller teams and i like my tanks.

I also changed my Laser Canon back to original because cash cows are needed.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 12:55:20 am by Hobbes »

Offline XCOMFan419

• Colonel
  • Wait I'm still here I swear
    • View Profile
Re: Re: [BETA][EXPANSION] UFO Redux - Playtesters needed
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 10:56:51 am »
Because i don't like smaller teams and i like my tanks.
100% yes

Look coming from the author of the on-hold Tanks, Drones, Sectopods? Oh My! mod, I find that a lot of people like tanks. I won't likely play your mod if I can't bring a tank on my missions. It's a personal must for me personally and a few others (Since I know some people find tanks useless)

But if you do not hear my words, then at least have some side doors (or open sides) for a small portion of the Skyranger and Avenger. If I am going to be playing with smaller teams, I want to see what's at the side of my skyranger before I send out my rookies to take the first hit instead of my tanks.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 03:48:21 pm »
Started testplaying, but changed the capacity for Skyranger and Avenger back to original. Because i don't like smaller teams and i like my tanks.

I also changed my Laser Canon back to original because cash cows are needed.

OK, but be informed that I've reduced the number of aliens on most missions to balance for the 10 man Skyranger, so you'll most likely overwhelm the aliens on these missions if you bring 14 units.

100% yes

Look coming from the author of the on-hold Tanks, Drones, Sectopods? Oh My! mod, I find that a lot of people like tanks. I won't likely play your mod if I can't bring a tank on my missions. It's a personal must for me personally and a few others (Since I know some people find tanks useless)

You can still bring HWPs with the 10 man Skyranger but they become even more important since losing them will hurt you more.

What if the HWP armor and health are updated like in the XComUtil option for Improved Tanks? That would make them last a bit longer.

But if you do not hear my words, then at least have some side doors (or open sides) for a small portion of the Skyranger and Avenger. If I am going to be playing with smaller teams, I want to see what's at the side of my skyranger before I send out my rookies to take the first hit instead of my tanks.

I have this impression that side doors can be even more dangerous because the aliens will also be able to see and fire at you. Unless we use the original Skyranger and stick the side doors next to the cockpit because that way there will be space to keep away from the doors (with a 10 man squad).

But at the same time, I'm designing a special mission where your objective is to raid a secret facility and try to collect as many research as possible: improved conventional, lasers, advanced materials, new HWPs, Improved Interceptor and Skyranger. But with some caveats: there will only be 3 of these improvements available to recover; you can be certain to recover 1 tech, not so certain to recover 2 of them, and almost impossible to recover 3. This is because of the map size (100x100) and the number of enemies (there will be 50+ enemy units present on the entire map).

So a 14 unit improved Skyranger is almost a certainty but the thing is that if you don't get it on the 1st month then it might be some time until this mission pops up again.

Either way, this issue of the reduced Skyranger (and Avenger) capacity is not set on stone: I want to see how it goes during playtesting.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 06:06:36 pm by Hobbes »

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 06:13:33 pm »
I actually tried to get this mod running on my Linux machine here, but the game always fails to the improvedglobe.dat.
I checked filenames and filelocations, they are ok. But Openxcom is still not able to load it.

Well found the Problem...
When opening the file with my trusty vim text editor each line had "^M" at the end. Removed those.

WEll mod still nod loading because can't IMPROVEDGLOBE.DAT
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 07:42:18 pm by hellrazor »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 06:57:31 pm »
I actually tried to get this mod running on my Linux machine here, but the game always fails to the improvedglobe.dat.
I checked filenames and filelocations, they are ok. But Openxcom is still not able to load it.

Well found the Problem...
When opening the file with my trusty vim text editor each line had "^M" at the end. Removed those.

From what I've just read the issue is that your Linux machine is reading wrong the Windows characters: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5843495/what-does-m-character-mean-in-vim

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 07:43:19 pm »
From what I've just read the issue is that your Linux machine is reading wrong the Windows characters: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5843495/what-does-m-character-mean-in-vim

Jeah i already removed them, but the Mod still isn't able to load IMPROVEDGLOBE.DAT

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 08:00:25 pm »
File name case is right? Most cases mods on Linux don't work because of that.

Offline Duke_Falcon

• Colonel
  • *Visit my DA site - click on the small globe!*
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2015, 08:04:46 pm »
Where could it possibly download?
I not promise to play it through but I certainly want to give it a try.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2015, 08:05:21 pm »
File name case is right? Most cases mods on Linux don't work because of that.

Yeah, it is right. We've discussed this on the IRC channel right now.

Where could it possibly download?
I not promise to play it through but I certainly want to give it a try.
Link is in the first post or here (requires nightly 2015_01_21_0537 or more recent)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 08:07:12 pm by Hobbes »

Offline NebulaM78

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 04:42:25 am »
I have experienced a crash on the very first mission (a landed UFO). It was a medium scout, which didn't have any usual UFO items like the power source in it except for a Sectoid corpse. Also the crew are Mercenaries. After killing all the Mercenaries, the game crashes when I try to end the mission.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2015, 07:53:06 am »
I have experienced a crash on the very first mission (a landed UFO). It was a medium scout, which didn't have any usual UFO items like the power source in it except for a Sectoid corpse. Also the crew are Mercenaries. After killing all the Mercenaries, the game crashes when I try to end the mission.

OK, I got the bug. The Sectoid Corpse is what's causing the crash for some unknown reason. It's strange because it generates the corpse but for some reason it crashes when the mission ends, most likely during the recovery and it's probably because the corpse doesn't belong to any unit.

I'll post a fix for this tomorrow but from what I've tested so far, I'll have to remove the corpse and the idea all together. Meanwhile, if you got a saved game of the tactical mission you can continue playing if you edit the save game file and delete the corpse entry.

The idea of having the corpse was that the Mercenaries reached the UFO first than XCom and are in the process of cleaning up the site of alien artifacts.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 09:24:27 am by Hobbes »

Offline NebulaM78

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2015, 08:48:24 am »
OK, I got the bug. The Sectoid Corpse is what's causing the crash for some unknown reason. It's strange because it generates the corpse but for some reason it crashes when the mission ends, most likely during the recovery and it's probably because the corpse doesn't belong to any unit.

I'll post a fix for this tomorrow. The idea of having the corpse was that the Mercenaries reached the UFO first than XCom and are in the process of cleaning up the site of alien artifacts.

Well that was fast. Thanks in advance.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2015, 09:25:18 am »
Well that was fast. Thanks in advance.

If you got the game saved you can fix it by editing the file and deleting the Sectoid Corpse entry.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2015, 05:04:48 pm »
I've uploaded version 0.1.1 (requires nightly 2015_01_21_0537 or more recent) - it fixes the bug with the Sectoid Corpse (had to remove it altogether) and Alien Containment can now be built right from the start like in vanilla.

I'm currently working on some terrain retextures. This is Taiga forest:

« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 05:47:03 pm by Hobbes »

Offline volutar

• Colonel
  • Vanilla digger & Quality assistant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2015, 06:51:09 pm »
Oh, autumn, how nice. I think it lacks of yellow trees (colorgroup9 and slightly lighter, by 2-3 steps than forest green) and the yellow/red leaves on the ground.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 07:40:54 pm by volutar »