Author Topic: Bootypedia (aka the wiki)  (Read 141372 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Bootypedia (aka the wiki)
« Reply #150 on: March 30, 2016, 01:40:29 pm »
Why is Bootypedia so hard to find on Ufopaedia? Long War has is own link on the main page (under featured projects), why can't we?

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #151 on: March 30, 2016, 03:10:04 pm »
 :-\ 

Well, the Bootypedia supports just a mod of OpenXcom, which is a featured project.  The work done there is extensive, but even at this point its out of date in many places back to .97 or even .96.  The amount of ruleset digging to keep the weapons and craft tables has been beyond my abilities to keep up to date, though I have added this or that, here or there.  Imeryak, with his great ruleset parsing skills has been able to keep somethings like the manufacturing table up to date along with his TechViewer  (that reminds me, we really need to have a page explaining that awesome tool).  Maybe when Draco is back for the summer, we'll get caught up.

But back to the original question:  I suppose, because we are a sub of a sub, we haven't got a place on the main page.  There is a link under OpenXcom>Mods.  I don't know that there has really been a discussion about the issue on the Ufopaedia site, or not, but it seems like that at least should take place before we shove a link in there ourselves.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #152 on: March 31, 2016, 02:27:37 am »
https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Hostages_(Piratez)

I've updated the Prisoner Processing sandbox, and copied it over to the "Kidnapping" /hostages page linked from the main navigation table.  As always feedback is useful.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #153 on: April 06, 2016, 12:22:20 am »
Working on the Research Page. 

https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Talk:Research_(Piratez)#Draft_WriteUps

Its tough keeping things generic on one level yet specifics on another.

Again, any feedback is welcome. I anticipate this page going live within a day or two.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #154 on: April 07, 2016, 02:30:19 am »
Research Page is published.  Feedback is still welcome.

I also cranked out a quick reference table for all the auxiliary (HWD) units.

Offline sambojin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 11, 2016, 11:40:20 am »
Might do a quick ruleset test/change for massive research, or bother pouring through it all on the rulesets, to update armours to the new inventory slots. And add a slight comment of what they mean at the top of Armours.

It's Important! dammit.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 11, 2016, 12:09:45 pm »
Yes inventory space notations for the armors would be very much appreciated. Certain armors seem great on paper until you see the inventory.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #157 on: April 11, 2016, 03:49:23 pm »
Yeah, we could use a new Inventory section on the hands page.   And all of the armors need updating.  A new column on the quick ref table too?
I asked Dioxine for help understanding the NULLS used to block off in but he just suggested using new battle to check the out.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 01:31:37 am by ivandogovich »

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 13, 2016, 05:18:57 am »
Most armor's in game descriptions say how many spots that have so the information is not completely hidden. However armors do not lose sockets in a uniform manner so the inventory size value is of limited help. Amazon armor for instance loses the quick draw slot, part of the belt and one leg and one shoulder while having a 2 row pack. Mesh armor loses one shoulder spot on each side, a part of the belt and only has a 1 row pack. The inventory between them is only 2 spots different with the same belt. but the mesh armor is much more favorable for sidearms and multiple grenade use but must use its hands for larger then 3x1 items. 

Guerilla is moderately good outfit stat wise but it has a full pack which most early outfits lack     

Offline sambojin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 13, 2016, 05:25:51 am »
Is a scaled image as well as a "x/25 inventory slots" comment worthwhile for each armour then? Maybe linking to a full-sized image?

Or is this way too bandwidth intensive for the wiki? The kilobytes will certainly rack up with all the extra image data, and I have no idea who's hosting it. But a separate description for each armour is time consuming to write.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 13, 2016, 05:56:10 am »
Bandwidth is not something i would worry about. Lets face it these are not very high quality source images we are talking about here. However formatting is a concern. a full inventory screen at legible size is a huge amount of screen space. Perhaps someone could devise a legible box grid style thing something like:

XX00 <=mesh armor belt layout. 0 is open. X is closed.

Such a format would compress the needed space. But it would need to be formatted is a way so that it will retain the internal pattern no matter viewer display. So no simple text. My web page writing experience was over a decade ago so i barely recall how do it back then let alone in a modern form other wise i would take a shot at it. I would rather not butcher an already info dense wiki page.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #161 on: April 13, 2016, 06:42:38 am »
Is a scaled image as well as a "x/25 inventory slots" comment worthwhile for each armour then? Maybe linking to a full-sized image?

Or is this way too bandwidth intensive for the wiki? The kilobytes will certainly rack up with all the extra image data, and I have no idea who's hosting it. But a separate description for each armour is time consuming to write.

I am all for including an image of the inventory for each armor.  These can be enclosed in "spoilers" on individual pages for the armors. 
If some one wouldn't mind stepping up to do screen captures of these from the "New Battle Generator" I could get them into the wiki. :)
(Otherwise, I'll get to it eventually, but extra hands make light work).

Edit:  I screen captured everything, and will work on it.  It will take a bit of Image Manipulation work to get them all ready.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 04:26:02 pm by ivandogovich »

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #162 on: April 13, 2016, 06:50:42 pm »
Yes inventory space notations for the armors would be very much appreciated. Certain armors seem great on paper until you see the inventory.

Ok. 51 images later (see teaser below), I have them trimmed and ready for upload. 

I'm kind of torn how to display these.  Ideally, I'd like a separate page for each Armor, similar to the individual Enemy pages.  Thats a lot more work.  Its also evident from looking at the armor page that its slipped significantly out of date (.96 was the last solid update, but some items might have been added in bits and pieces).
https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Armor_%28Piratez%29
We'll probably at least need another column in the quick reference table that gives the #/25 inventory spaces available (also, interesting to know that these numbers don't include the 2X3 hand spaces).

I have Three options:
1. I can upload the files, then change the links (on the Armor Names) in the quick ref table (and the similar links in the detailed entries below) to point just to the file.  Clicking on it would go to the file page which would just show the image (similar to this: https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/File:Armor_AdventurerI_Piratez.png

2. We can post the link in the detailed entry with a title like "Inventory Image"

3. We can include the Image (Collapsed) in the detailed entry so the user could click "expand" and view it on the same page.

Preferences?
(Also: Anyone want to take on making all the individual Armor pages?? ;)

Edit: I have added the column to the Armor table with the #/25 values for each armor.   Its still pretty out of date.  I still need to upload all the images.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 08:48:45 pm by ivandogovich »

Offline sambojin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 13, 2016, 10:32:03 pm »
I'm all for expanding it in-page if it's not too hard. It looks classy, and it saves flicking between heaps of tabs if you're browsing on mobile (something I do occasionally when playing).

But anything is good. People will only be flicking to the image quickly, so whatever is nice and simple to do for all the pages. Image links to a file that opens in a new page is good too.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 13, 2016, 10:39:00 pm »
in page spoiler. Thanks for the good work.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 10:41:50 pm by legionof1 »