aliens

Author Topic: Bootypedia (aka the wiki)  (Read 141351 times)

Offline DracoGriffin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Steam: DracoGriffin
Bootypedia (aka the wiki)
« on: October 26, 2015, 09:35:17 am »
latest edit: New to X-PirateZ or trying to wanting to look up research trees or enemy stats? Check out the X-PirateZ wiki here:

Bootypedia - Thanks to UFOpaedia!

If you notice anything missing, feel free to make an account and add in your own edits!

-----

Hi fellow Cap'ns!

Currently working on the Bootypedia aka Piratez wiki over at Ufopaedia.org:

Link here

About ... half is completed as of the Armor posting. (Equipment, Melee & Ranged Weapons will follow almost same layout as Armor, but sorting raw data is  :'( ). Eventually things will get their own articles (to essentially provide more and more information, where direct articles could even have the raw ruleset data and such for mathing and things).

I'll have to do another pass on the earlier content to bring it up to more current article standards (mostly because I am futzing with tables more and more).

Any comments or critiques is greatly appreciated; trying to figure out how much should be hidden (to avoid spoilers) vs exposing everything (pun intended?) as it is a wiki. For instance: on the Armors page, all the default armors could be visible while the researched armors would be hidden (collapsed).

Also, lot of the images haven't been uploaded (mostly re-used in places as much as possible to avoid have duplicates of the vanilla X-Com stuff) and I started skipping notes for now.

edit: Updated link to main page

edit: Thanks for sticky, Dioxine!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 02:44:36 am by DracoGriffin »

Offline Boltgun

• Colonel
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
    • Piratez let's play
Re: Bootypedia (aka the wiki)
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 10:39:53 am »
I think it's best to copy what the other ufopedias like classic xcom or long war do in terms of spoilers. Collapsing is a good idea and at the same time puttint (*spoiler*) next to major plot stuff will be useful.

I wonder what are ufopedia's rules concerning NSFW on the other hand.

Offline DracoGriffin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 05:03:18 pm »
I wonder what are ufopedia's rules concerning NSFW on the other hand.

One reason why I avoided uploading all the images. Also, haven't heard from Hobbes on this one yet.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 07:21:30 pm »
Astounding job on these tables, I'll be using them myself :)

As for NSFW material - why not make a stock blank pic with big letters NSFW written diagonally across it, and paste it wherever a risky image would go? There won't be any problems with site rules, and it might even draw some more people to actually DL the mod :)))

Oh and damage type 'none' in armor desc should read as 'special'.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 07:26:41 pm by Dioxine »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 07:34:53 pm »
Awesome. I'll help when I can.

Offline DracoGriffin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 08:52:32 pm »
Astounding job on these tables, I'll be using them myself :)

As for NSFW material - why not make a stock blank pic with big letters NSFW written diagonally across it, and paste it wherever a risky image would go? There won't be any problems with site rules, and it might even draw some more people to actually DL the mod :)))

Oh and damage type 'none' in armor desc should read as 'special'.

Yeah but that would feel ... incomplete, I guess? That's the core component of a wiki... having all the information available. Kinda pointless if people just use debug mode or look in \Resources\Armors to see what things look like. I mean, armor-wise, nothing is TOO NSFW (except Slave armor, which I believe is inaccessible through regular gameplay); mostly borderline, and it's pixels. However, the Research background/screens are incredibly risque and those will be difficult. The decision is up to Hobbes as a UFOpaedia moderator/expert but the options I see are: placeholder NSFW picture (like you said), placeholder NSFW picture on the broader articles but allow the actual picture on direct articles, collapse the picture by default with like a NSFW caption/title, or just use the picture normally without any modifications or placeholders.

Yeah... had to decipher a lot of things in the rulesets to try to uncover what they meant. There's bound to be a few mistakes here and there; however, not sure how to handle the None -> Special change. As it is a wiki, I'd have to explain what Special is and... I have no idea. Could you explain how the Special damage modifier works and what is/is not affected?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 09:43:02 pm »
I'd like the art backgrounds to be not displayed in the wiki anyway, at least as a general rule. As long as it's mod, it's fine, but those are works of various artists, so having their pictures as sort of an online advertisement... wouldn't be fair I think.
Also these in the future might include some pictures with even more nudity, I'm not saying they will, certainly not many, but it is a possibility.

Slave armor is inaccessible, I've not made the decision yet if it'll ever be. Most of its role will be probably taken by Reticulan-tech armor which will be supposed to be most effective against Star Gods.

About the Special damage, so far there is no lore behind it, just a general direction. It is inflicted by:
- Cyclops 'strip beam';
- Seductress stun/morale boosting ability;
- Battle standards;
- Tentacle monster not implemented yet
And the greatest res, is, as a rule, given to most risky outfits.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 09:56:17 pm by Dioxine »

Offline DracoGriffin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 09:56:15 pm »
I'd like the art backgrounds to be not displayed in the wiki anyway, at least as a general rule. As long as it's mod, it's fine, but those are works of various artists, so having their pictures as sort of an online advertisement... wouldn't be fair I think.
It'd make things look very bare; tons of text can be hard on the eyes. Example of how it might look; some backgrounds might need to be cropped for space or something.

Unless you mean because the backgrounds might not be original content and various ... technical issues could arise, then that's much more understandable.

About the Special damage, so far there is no lore behind it, just a general direction. It is inflicted by:
- Cyclops 'strip beam';
- Seductress stun/morale boosting ability;
- Battle standards;
- Tentacle monster not implemented yet
And the greatest res, is, as a rule, given to most risky outfits.
So a hand struck by Cyclops 'strip beam' with 30% Special would reduce the damage or have reduced chance to resist? Battle standards... those with higher % Special gets more of an effect than those with lower % Special or vice versa?

It's all so tricky!

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 10:05:25 pm »
It'd make things look very bare; tons of text can be hard on the eyes. Example of how it might look; some backgrounds might need to be cropped for space or something.

Unless you mean because the backgrounds might not be original content and various ... technical issues could arise, then that's much more understandable.

Hmm, I'll try to prepare faction logos soon, so they could break that bare text. Church of Sirius will be the same as in Apocalypse, but others will have to be made from scratch. And yeah... the 'technical' issues is what I am concerned with. The backgrounds, well, all art backgrounds, are NOT original content, which is stated in the description. I don't want my mod, after all, to become as underground as Doom's Grezzo 2 mod :)

So a hand struck by Cyclops 'strip beam' with 30% Special would reduce the damage or have reduced chance to resist? Battle standards... those with higher % Special gets more of an effect than those with lower % Special or vice versa?

It's all so tricky!

It's just normal damage, so a gal in Bikini will only take 20% damage from that beam, unarmored will take 60%, and in full armor - 100%. This is both for the armor-damaging power, and for the wounding power - a hit that reduce bikini's armor (well, actually natural armor) by 10, would reduce Power Suit's armor by 50.
Same goes for battle standards - they actually work better on people wearing proper clothing, you can rationalize it as standards being 'discipline' items and do not work on jaded pirates as well :)

EDIT:
I see you've began adding paperdoll pictures (i love the nsfw one). What about using various gal's looks for that, for better variety?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 05:44:54 am by Dioxine »

Offline DracoGriffin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 08:21:54 am »
EDIT:
I see you've began adding paperdoll pictures (i love the nsfw one). What about using various gal's looks for that, for better variety?

Ooh, edits are tricky. I almost didn't see this message until I was re-reading some of the stuff here.

All those are basically placeholders to give an idea of how the page and content will display (so tables don't break or whatnot). Of course various different gals can be utilized to show off the different skins and hairstyles! (which will be improved after the first content pass. Still have to do: Equipment, Weapons (basic blurbs), Melee Weapons, Ranged Weapons, Minor Factions, Mission Types, Hostages/Kidnapping, Governments/Protection Racket/Scoring Methodology, Tactics, Strategy Guide, FAQ, Black Market, Manufacturing, Research)

Half that list isn't going to be very data/table intensive as the last few have been, as well as the next few (especially Weapons, ohmygerd), so once the usable item section is complete, rest should be churned out more quickly.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 04:27:24 pm »
Just gotta say, thanks so much for your work on this Draco!  You too Solarius!
I think PirateZ is such a challenging game, that these tools will greatly improve its accessibility for new players.  They will be able to get the information that they need to get a successful campaign running with less sense of being bewildered and overwhelmed. :)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2015, 04:51:28 pm »
Just another thought - I think it'd be good to add to the facilities' chart 'function required' and 'function provided' colums, these are too important to move them to adnotations.

Offline DracoGriffin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2015, 08:03:06 am »
Just another thought - I think it'd be good to add to the facilities' chart 'function required' and 'function provided' colums, these are too important to move them to adnotations.

Done. I tried both first but ended up having redundancy... (Workshop -> Requires None, Provides Workshop) sort of thing and I tried a few synonyms but just didn't work out, especially since the Allows Research/Manufacture columns offered a bit of the same information. So I ended up just adding a simple "Requires Facility?" column for now.

Also, Equipment page is up; Melee/Ranged weapons should look really similar to the table and infoboxes. Ranged Weapons will have alterations to suit for the ammunition changes (essentially I'll layout the table so the clip damage/types/etc will go row by row, while the other firearm information [independent of weapon clip stats] will be at the top or bottom, depending how the table looks).

I might skip Weapons for now in order to update Minor Factions (duplicated from Major Factions), Mission Types (copy & paste the Shippings infoboxes [Flavor Text, Conducted By <Factions>, Score if Successful?, Notes]), Protection Racket/Governments (copy & paste Facilities infoboxes [Flavor Text, Notes (perhaps indicate something like the Contacts or EuroSyndicate Laser weapons? May not be necessary)] and detail some type of scoring mechanism and the negative scoring of attacking Govt ships/units.

Offline DracoGriffin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2015, 08:29:36 am »
Finished up Minor Factions, Major Factions, Shippings and Missions.

Also, I may need to move Faction NavBars (link here and here) from the bottom of the Faction pages or maybe add a Subheader so people know to keep looking. (= See Also = most likely)

Didn't see too many changes between versions 0.95A/B/C, so shouldn't be too hard to update once all page templates are complete (last mountain to conquer is the Melee/Ranged Weapons).
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 01:30:07 am by DracoGriffin »

Offline doctor medic

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2015, 11:02:49 am »
By the way i have seen the dark ones and clandestines make crackdown missions,you may want to add that too