aliens

Author Topic: Insane, Impossible Mod Speculation  (Read 30038 times)

Offline Nikita_Sadkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Insane, Impossible Mod Speculation
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2015, 11:37:12 am »
Maybe a mod that adds more personality to aliens, x-com squaddies and civilians? I.e. like ghosts in pacman have different behavior, modulated by players success. When player performs too well, that red ghost gets faster and catches him.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 11:39:01 am by Nikita_Sadkov »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2015, 03:45:12 am »
Good on principle, Nikita, I fully support this, but there's a danger - if you overdo it, you get Homeworld where player is forced to meta-game and play badly on purpose, because stellar play leads to the game getting unwinnable. There has to be a very solid logic in place for every change in enemy/x-com behaviour, and it has to go both ways - if you're performing very well, not only aliens mobilize more of their resources to kill you, but also x-com agents are getting complacent and less focused, being drunk with victory. Also, both sides need to have a counter-action possible - when aliens mobilize, you can shift from confronting them head-on to harassing warfare, striking their supply lines, while strenghtening your defences; when x-com agents are getting complacent, you intensify the discipline (court-martialling troublemakers, for example, which means loss of veterans). Such mechanics would ensure that a player won't have to metagame and play badly on purpose - he'd just have to shift in-game strategy, action and reaction, diminishing returns. Conversely, a player who plays badly or is unlucky won't be given any gifts, only opportunities (but a bad player won't be able to take advantage of these opportunities).
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 03:49:04 am by Dioxine »

Offline Phoenix7786

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2016, 10:58:54 am »
I'd love to see a merged campaign of original plus TFTD. Yeah I know they're 20 years apart but just ignore that part for a sec. You'd start with 1 land base and 1 underwater base with the geoscape locations merged. Now if ships crash into the water, your subs can try to sift the wreckage. Your 8 base locations have to be divided up into land and sea, with your budget having to go into one facet or the other. Your research tech trees would be separated accordingly. It'd be fun, but a giant pain in the ass at the same time.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2016, 03:32:54 pm »
I'd love to see a merged campaign of original plus TFTD.
The following thread discusses this topic.
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,1851.0.html

Offline Slaughter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2016, 11:26:09 pm »
XSGCOM mod - for when one alien menace ins't enough

Open X-com Genesis mod.

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2016, 11:27:51 pm »
XSGCOM mod - for when one alien menace ins't enough

Open X-com Genesis mod.

Is it a Stargate reference?

If so, count me in.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2016, 02:22:08 am »
Yeah the people who stand behind X-Com wouldn't probably shy away from a stab at taking over the universe (or, more realistically, Earth) by the use of stargates :)
The problem is we know little of the Ancients and we know little of the Ethereals and superbrains. Both civilizations are millions of years old. SG: Genesis shows quite clearly that the Ancients were technologically and scientifically inept as fock, but so we know little about ancient Ethereals. Maybe they got all their fancy tech only after subjugating Sectoids, and to this point just travelled the stars thanks to psionic powers like loons, impressing and manipulating primitive natives here and there.
Also we know little of the true extent of Ethereal empire, so do we know little of the true extent of Goa'uld power. Sekhmet and her fleet (which is supposedly the main military arm of their civilization, as befit of the Goddess of War) is hush-hush in the SG series...

Offline Slaughter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2016, 07:43:27 am »
Is it a Stargate reference?

If so, count me in.
Google it, you will probably like.

Offline Zharkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2016, 09:45:52 am »
3) First person shouter combined with real time strategy battle (like all the usual x-com games). using graphics like doom 1 for the fps part.

I hate these first person shouters. They are always crying for every game to have first-person shooter elements...

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2016, 01:50:25 pm »
FPS? In turns? That'd be a new low for the genre... Which already isn't doing well...

Offline nadir-1648

• Captain
  • Oh yes, this is going to be dreadful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2016, 05:04:42 am »
What about more environmental interaction, like rappelling kits, falling damage and jumping?

Offline Boltgun

• Colonel
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
    • Piratez let's play
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2016, 10:55:35 am »
Some weather effect could be great, like rain, fog, or the cold of the north pole affecting you soldiers. You could be more exotic and add toxic clouds, puddles of goo, or hazardous machinery.

Or go even further and have a bear running in the scene to maul your rookies.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2016, 09:37:49 pm »
I love these ideas, aside from environments, extra movement options would've be sweet... even if it's only "jump 3 tiles forward (damn you, missing tiles!) and "climb 1 level up the wall" :)

Offline Slaughter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2016, 08:32:04 am »
Idea I had one of these days - DOOM mod for X-COM. Tactical squad combat meets the LEGIONS of HELL in THE FUTURE!

Classic Doom, too.

I'm thinking one could start with Mars - fight a demoniac invasion of Mars from Phobos. You would protect Mars' assorted national/corporate bases from the demon invasion/corruption before Mars gets dragged into hell.

Would cover a period between the original Doom and Doom II, and explain what happened to Phobos, Deimos and Hell after the first Doom, and how the demons brought Hell on Earth.

Final mission is a huge multi-level gauntlet from Phobos to Deimos then Hell.

The demons are corrupting human spacecraft and shooting big shells full of demons at Mars, War of The Worlds-style. Then they open portals with dark magics and perverted machinery. Many evil men join up the cults and gain power from demoniac pacts.

Enemies from the original Doom games but in a TB combat context. Zombies, Imps, Pinkies, Cacodemons, Lost Souls, even the bosses!

Your soldiers are not badass Doom Marines who are A MAN AND A HALF... but they can be... if they survive.

Weapons from the originals + new ones.

Offline Bloax

• Colonel
  • do you want to be any of those things
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2016, 04:35:05 am »
just mix doomrl with xcom and you're done to some degree

oh and

not completely impossible, but who's stupid enough to try?