Author Topic: Insane, Impossible Mod Speculation  (Read 29687 times)

Offline nadir-1648

• Captain
  • Oh yes, this is going to be dreadful.
    • View Profile
Insane, Impossible Mod Speculation
« on: October 26, 2015, 01:07:34 am »
I'm sure everyone has an idea for a mod that's completely inconceivable, right? Share your lunacy with us!

I, for one, have had the idea of a Dead Space mod, where clicking a unit to shoot it lets you pick what part to aim for. Same setting, 1999 and such, but with necromorphs. At first you'd be getting absolutely trounced because starting weapons, but as you move on your scientists develop much more effective implements of dismemberment!

Possible? Hahaha no. But still a fun idea :D

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: Insane, Impossible Mod Speculation
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 04:34:24 am »
For me it'd be random personality traits and ensuing simulated social interactions of soldiers during their base time, indirectly influencing combat readiness and other stuff. Think Dwarf Fortress.

Offline XOps

• Colonel
  • Guy who drowns first
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 05:51:57 am »
For me it'd be random personality traits and ensuing simulated social interactions of soldiers during their base time, indirectly influencing combat readiness and other stuff. Think Dwarf Fortress.

Oh God. Now the aliens don't need to invade. They can just let the XCom base be destroyed by one soldier who got in a bad mood and started a tantrum spiral.

In regards to impossible mods, there are two things I would love to have.
1: A special infiltration mission. When the alien battleship touches down on a city, I want it spawn an infiltration site. XCom could then land on that site like it were a terror mission. If XCom ignores the site, or fails the mission, then the pact is sighed.
2: A tactical air combat system as detailed as the ground combat. I want the XCom air war to be as desperate and detailed as the ground war.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 06:45:23 am »
Oh God. Now the aliens don't need to invade. They can just let the XCom base be destroyed by one soldier who got in a bad mood and started a tantrum spiral.

Ohh I was too literal. With built-in safeguards, like normal humans have, and which those dwarves lack :)

Offline nadir-1648

• Captain
  • Oh yes, this is going to be dreadful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 06:48:43 am »
Ohh I was too literal. With built-in safeguards, like normal humans have, and which those dwarves lack :)

X-Com soldiers are hardly normal people. You'd have to be a real lunatic to sign up for this  :P
I've also seen multiple HE-related incidents that say they don't habr safeguards...

Edit: Or have, even -.-
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 07:04:47 am by Z. Nadir »

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 07:35:46 am »

In regards to impossible mods, there are two things I would love to have.
1: A special infiltration mission. When the alien battleship touches down on a city, I want it spawn an infiltration site. XCom could then land on that site like it were a terror mission. If XCom ignores the site, or fails the mission, then the pact is sighed.
2: A tactical air combat system as detailed as the ground combat. I want the XCom air war to be as desperate and detailed as the ground war.

Your first point could be made reality you know? At least partially, the Battleship landed in the City.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 07:51:40 am by hellrazor »

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 07:37:13 am »
I want a Mod were X-Com travels back in time and prevents the Alien Empire to start to exist in the frist place.
A mod were you would help to fight the Sectoids vs the Dark Brain influences which enslaves them.
A mod were you would fight on the Brain Homeplanet to eradicate the Ethereals.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 07:51:15 am by hellrazor »

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 04:18:53 am »
My "impossible mod" would be a physics engine for the game. Where if you destroy the trunk of a tree, the rest of it falls down and becomes a heap of debris.

On the "doable but lots of work" list:
And a different aiming system, where kneeling behind an obstacle with only your head poking out makes you harder to hit than standing in the open, by having hits be centered relative to the total area of the target, but with more spread, instead of the current mechanic.

And an ability for units to "trample" terrain/units. Draw the route as if there were no obstruction, every step, apply (a ruleset defined) damage to any blocking terrain or unit (for a certain TU cost). If destroyed, continue, if still standing, stop. This would allow for reapers to burst through some walls, and tanks/sectopod to not be blocked by bushes.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 04:25:12 am by Arthanor »

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2015, 10:26:17 am »
Team Dynamics. If you dont use a player for a certain period of time, his stats decrease and morale drops.

Offline Boltgun

• Colonel
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
    • Piratez let's play
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2015, 12:37:13 pm »
An invasion mod. Play as aliens, spawn UFOs, initiate terror missions and win.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2015, 11:29:40 pm »
Z-COM: fight the zombie menace!

Start with firearms but as the zombie apocalypse progresses your soldiers will have to salvage everything since infrastructure and civilization are crumbling down, so you have to resort to machetes and sharpened poles at the end of the campaign.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 11:31:13 pm by Hobbes »

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
  • Squaddie cautiously peering through the breach
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2015, 02:24:45 am »
Real economic simulation with supply and demand.  The more you produce something for cash, the less it produces a profit and takes a while for demand to creep back over time.

More chaotic/realistic civilian AI modes: getting troops between them and aliens, cowering inside closets, running for the skyranger, etc.

Offline KingMob4313

• Commander
  • Never let me down again.
    • View Profile
    • Mod Hub for Equal Terms 2.0
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2015, 03:40:45 am »
A reworked armor and weapon penetration system.

Ability to shoot through walls without wrecking them (would work with the penetration system)

A luck stat and a science stat. 

To have 'Field Scientists' that you take out on missions, use scanning devices and bring back research points for your side.

A reaper that could bust through walls to get to you (The Chrysalid is evil enough and doesn't need this, thank you)

Changes to the shotgun mechanic:
1) so that it first picks a vector (gun to target) and then all shots work around a cone based off that initial vector. (pretty sure it doesn't work like that now)
2) that it can do a variety of damage types, including explosives.

Changes to explosives so that they can be directed (cone shaped).

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2015, 06:59:54 am »
You can have a variety of damage types for shotguns, and I think Piratez does it even for explosive type. As for how it works, I'd say each shot is scattered individually.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2015, 07:56:20 am »
A reaper that could bust through walls to get to you (The Chrysalid is evil enough and doesn't need this, thank you)

I actually want Chryssalids with Psionic zombification powers! Those would indeed not need the ability to bust through walls *evilgrin*