Author Topic: Difference between X-Com and OpenXcom  (Read 5202 times)

Offline zboszor

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Difference between X-Com and OpenXcom
« on: February 24, 2012, 12:50:40 pm »
Hi,

I just discovered OpenXcom and gave it a try. I am impressed how good it works under Fedora 16/x86_64 compiled from GIT at the moment. Thanks for reviving this excellent game!

However, I found something that may cause a problem in the financials if you play a longer game. After researching stuff, you can manufacture and sell it. In the original game, the cost of manufacturing was less than the selling price. E.g. manufacturing a laser pistol cost $8000 but you could get $20000 for it. Same for every other items you can manufacture later as you gain knowledge from research. I just played through about 15 days in the first year in OpenXcom, I can now manufacture laser pistols for the above price ($8000) per item but I get only $35 per item. A short price list can be found here: https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Manufacturing_Profitability#Profit_tables and links for more detailed lists.

It was a strong point in X-Com that as soon as you can start manufacturing stuff, you get your own funding besides the money you get every month from countries. So you can survive situations when you don't have enough bases yet and countries infiltrated by UFOs stop funding you.

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Difference between X-Com and OpenXcom
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 06:23:22 pm »
Must be a fault in the ruleset data, soon you will be able put the sales price as high as you want by editing the ruleset file.

Hmm, this gives me another idea:
will it be interesting that "standard" ruleset files come with some kind of checksum - so that if you play with modified rulesets, it is displayed somewhere on screen and have it also stored in savegames?

Offline gchevallereau

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Difference between X-Com and OpenXcom
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 10:43:39 pm »
Must be a fault in the ruleset data, soon you will be able put the sales price as high as you want by editing the ruleset file.
It's just a development leftover. When doing manufacturing, I made some tests with selling price and I didn't fix all ruleset settings when finished. For example, just try to manufacture a laser rifle.