aliens

Author Topic: Funny Racial statistics in TFTD  (Read 4720 times)

Offline Mackus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Funny Racial statistics in TFTD
« on: October 07, 2015, 05:07:17 pm »
SoldierName files have been optimised for Xcom1, so most Chinese are Asian, most Swedes are blond, Irish are redheads, Ethiopians are black, etc.
But TFTD uses different icons for aquanauts than base xcom1.

In Xcom1, you have blondes, redheads, asians, blacks, in this order, for both genders.
in TFTD, its goes like this:
Men / Women
redheads / redheads
blacks / brunettes
brunettes / blacks
bald / brunettes ponytail

As result, most Chinese women are black, just like Irish men. Ethiopians and Nigerians are white, and if men also bald.
I'd suggest to introduce separate lookWeights for men and women (lookWeightsMen and lookWeightsWomen), and separately for different mods (ufo vs tftd).

Offline winterheart

• Colonel
  • Fellow Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: Funny Racial statistics in TFTD
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 12:31:55 am »
That TFTD, no more countries and borders. Welcome to new brave world of 2040!

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 11:58:05 am »
That TFTD, no more countries and borders. Welcome to new brave world of 2040!

...where 3/4 of people are white? Brave world indeed :P

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 09:12:02 pm »
...where 3/4 of people are white? Brave world indeed :P

I can't remember where I read it exactly but following the current trends of population growth and intermixing there will be a time in the future where most of the world population will not follow the current ethnicities but it will have traits of all of them. Which was considered to be a good thing since the gene pool will be so mixed that the whole human race will be more prepared in case an asteroid hits us and most of the population is eliminated.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 09:29:32 pm »
That is an old (1960s at least) leftist theory/fantasy (or rightist horror tale, depending on your bias) based on the supposed inevitability of intermarriage and increasing worldwide tolerance. While simple statistics support it (you can support anything with the right statistics...), actual data often contradicts it, painting a more complex picture (one point being that communities usually feel threatened by the influx of people of other race and the rising number of intermarriages increases inter-racial hostility).

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 12:27:57 am »
I forgot about that. So TFTD has a one world gov and everything is easier I guess if everyone is running the same system for everything. The microchip implant is the next big thing here, so in TFTD, you can assume they're beyond that. Virtual reality implanted by that time.

Edit: Stargates should be a thing in TFTD seeing that Cern is hinting about it today with that huge hadron collider. That would be awesome. Opening portals to other universes, meeting peaceful and violent aliens in search of powerful technology to defeat the sea aliens.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 12:35:15 am by Mr. Quiet »

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 01:21:31 am »
Opening portals to other universes, meeting peaceful and violent aliens in search of powerful technology to defeat the sea aliens.
From everything I read of the Cthulhu mythos, I'm not optimistic about our dimensional neighbors :)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 07:31:29 am »
That is an old (1960s at least) leftist theory/fantasy (or rightist horror tale, depending on your bias) based on the supposed inevitability of intermarriage and increasing worldwide tolerance. While simple statistics support it (you can support anything with the right statistics...), actual data often contradicts it, painting a more complex picture (one point being that communities usually feel threatened by the influx of people of other race and the rising number of intermarriages increases inter-racial hostility).

This was actually based on hard science genetic studies of DNA and not ideology: isolated communities (either human or any lifeform) are more likely to suffer from mutations since there's a higher chance that both parents will carry the mutated genes, which may be beneficial or not, and transmit them to their offspring. The example being isolated communities where a large percentage of individuals have 6 fingers than on an average population.

On the other hand, larger populations have a bigger mix of genetic diversity so mutations will still happen but the chances of it being transmitted and become active are smaller - since your DNA is a mix from both mother/father you can carry a mutated gene from your mother but it never becomes active since the same 'normal' gene from your father is the one that becomes active. And the more intermarriages you have, the more the gene pool is enlarged with different genes, and the less the chances of getting genetic defects. 

So if there's a bottleneck event for the population (asteroid or some sort of mass extinction), a more varied population will have more chances of surviving since its members carry more genes that can be useful in the new enviroment, while isolated communities will have much less genetic resources and have a greater risk of extinction.

As for interracial marriages increasing hostility, I live in a country that was inhabited/occupied by Celts, Phoenicians, Greeks, Romans, Visigoths, Sueves and Arabs, and then in the Age of Discoveries had an official policy of intermarrying its soldiers/colonists with the local Africans, Asians and South Americans, precisely because those interracial marriages helped bring both communities together and helped to keep the Empire together, so I completely disagree with you there since our 500 years prove to me otherwise. And the best example of this policy is Brazil :)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 07:38:03 am by Hobbes »

Offline nadir-1648

• Captain
  • Oh yes, this is going to be dreadful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2015, 05:06:12 am »
Incidentally, if we're discussing aquanaut pictures making no sense, we simply must mention the fact that TFTD has exactly one death scream, and it sounds pretty male.

Also the Guile hair. They left the Guile hair on the sprites but none of the paperdolls have it (and one is bald). That is injustice, people.