aliens

Author Topic: [COMPLETED] Let's play X-PirateZ (182 episodes)  (Read 143970 times)

Offline DracoGriffin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Steam: DracoGriffin
Re: Let's play X-PirateZ [#12] Tools & Blades
« Reply #210 on: December 01, 2015, 03:52:33 pm »
Oh Dioxine, such high praises! I'm not even sure how to reflect on that other than a very humbled 'Thank you'.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #211 on: December 01, 2015, 04:07:42 pm »
Why, you're a good XCom player, I'm just speaking my mind. Although you may consider 2 details, mistakes probably bred from ignorance:

- Tossing flares or items no longer trains Throwing, this was removed from OXCom since Warboy considers it a stupid exploit (And I fully support him on this!). You need to use grenades. HOWEVER, since unconscious units in OXCE can be targeted, and since they take damage from smoke, smoking their asses WILL train your throwing (and make much less likely that they'll stand up).
- Storing ammo in backpack. Good in OXC, bad in OXCE, since the cost of moving the clip to you hand is added to the reload cost. So reloading from backpack costs +10 TUs, while reloading from belt/shoulder +4 TUs. Only reloading from the other hand costs normally.

Also your LP (just like Ivan's and Meridian's) is an unending treasure cove of things that don't work well and need to be balanced (eg. Night Ops Gear should be at least marginally useful in daylight!). Also, your LP in particular gives me an immense wealth of data on armor performance (Tac Suit, Warrior, Defender), and they seem to be performing as desired.

Oh, and Ivan! I forgot about Ivan!
Ivan: Beastmen of Chaos +  Chaos Cultists of Tzeentch.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #212 on: December 01, 2015, 04:23:51 pm »
I bet no worse than mine, as you could hear on those 2 videos I've published with Solar :)

Oh yeah, and an addition:
Hellrazor: has to be Iron Warriors :)

I am excluded by my own wish, because you only have female soldiers in your Mod :P

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #213 on: December 01, 2015, 04:47:52 pm »
I was refering to your general approach to war, not specifically Piratez (and I was guessing, but your bias towards heavy artillery bombardment makes it rather obvious who you are :) )

Also - there is no such thing as a female warrior. It's Western propaganda. You're either a warrior, or a female, never both at the same time. Genitals are irrelevant, they won't help you to survive. But I fully understand that Piratez are simply too silly for your tastes :)

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #214 on: December 01, 2015, 05:00:07 pm »
I was refering to your general approach to war, not specifically Piratez (and I was guessing, but your bias towards heavy artillery bombardment makes it rather obvious who you are :) )

Uhh i love blowing things up, especially all kind of human build structures, but i also love to press shotgun blasts into aliens faces or snipe them from the distance.
an you specify bias in this regard, since there are more then one posible translation into german one says to dislike the other one to like :D

Also - there is no such thing as a female warrior. It's Western propaganda. You're either a warrior, or a female, never both at the same time. Genitals are irrelevant, they won't help you to survive. But I fully understand that Piratez are simply too silly for your tastes :)
I never said Piratez is silly, its a nice idea and people seem to appreciate it, its just not my thing.

And lets not open the gender box of pandora right now and right here :) ok?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #215 on: December 01, 2015, 05:12:08 pm »
Everyone loves blowing heads off with shotguns, it's more about what you trust than what you like. I've simply got an impression you're an artillery man.

And lets not open the gender box of pandora right now and right here :) ok?

Fully agreed. This whole 'gender' thing grew so complicated and full of propaganda and counter-propaganda over the last few decades it's a damned minefield. I prefer to avoid anything after circa 1945 even when discussing this topic.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 06:06:57 pm by Dioxine »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 01, 2015, 08:44:46 pm »
- Tossing flares or items no longer trains Throwing, this was removed from OXCom since Warboy considers it a stupid exploit (And I fully support him on this!). You need to use grenades. HOWEVER, since unconscious units in OXCE can be targeted, and since they take damage from smoke, smoking their asses WILL train your throwing (and make much less likely that they'll stand up).

Dang it! I just started doing this. So... do the grenades have to be primed or can I also throw duds... and still train?

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 01, 2015, 09:04:43 pm »
I think you get experience for throwing things that damage the enemy. So it has to be primed and it has to hit a target. You can toss 50000 primed smoke grenades at enemies to get exp, but you can't toss unprimed grenades, or primed grenades at nothing/trees/houses.

I am not sure if you get exp for hitting civilians though. I often stun them so they stop being a target and wandering in the way, but I don't know if that's worth anything.

Offline DracoGriffin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 01, 2015, 09:16:15 pm »
No, throwing items (flares or otherwise) does increase throwing accuracy (regardless if it does damage ala primed grenades or active grenades (Black Powder Bombs, for instance). See attached save game: Chrome Bitch started with 44 Throwing (She is at 45 because I was testing other items on a previous mission), and after finishing the Mutant Pogrom (and having done absolutely no other action except throwing all 11 flares from her inventory), she will gain X amount of Throwing Accuracy (Originally got 2 points, and retesting she got 5, due to the RNG).

Whether throwing items (like flares) in vanilla OXCom does not increase throwing (which I'm sure it does, just haven't tested) or if Yankes changed it back in OXCE, throwing items (like flares) DOES increase Throwing Accuracy. The only caveat is: secondary stats (Health, Energy/Stamina, Strength & Time Units) do NOT increase as they would normally when primary stats increase (like Firing/Reactions/etc).

edit: So the main reason I train throwing in this manner is to increase accuracy for throwing grenades so they can actually reach the target instead of going way off. (Essentially Frag/HE grenades are great for Throwing trainees as there is no range limit like Black Powder Bombs/Stick Grenades, whereas Black Powder Bombs/Stick Grenades are excellent for experienced Throwers as they will almost ALWAYS hit their target [as long as within range].) Thus, training on flares gives experience for future grenades to hit targets which does grant secondary stat growth, whereas missing with a live grenade does nothing.

- Storing ammo in backpack. Good in OXC, bad in OXCE, since the cost of moving the clip to you hand is added to the reload cost. So reloading from backpack costs +10 TUs, while reloading from belt/shoulder +4 TUs. Only reloading from the other hand costs normally.

Yes, but most of the ammo I do carry is too big to be put into 2x1 slots and I usually never have to reload; if I do, I generally try to use an enemy weapon to avoid wasting ammunition for just a few extra shots (yes, I realize I do things differently on stream as that isn't the BEST example since I am aiming to play fast & hard instead of methodically step-by-step to min/max hostages & HP loss and such).
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 09:20:42 pm by DracoGriffin »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 01, 2015, 09:29:29 pm »
I just tried it on a new game too.
I can confirm that throwing even useless stuff around (shotguns, handles, ...) DOES indeed increase throwing accuracy.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #220 on: December 01, 2015, 10:11:50 pm »
Wow, that's interesting. Experiment beats hearsay - so I was wrong with my info! But I still think that grenades give much better xp than tossing 'just anything'. And yeah, by grenades mean 'dealing damage by primed explosives'. Doesn't work for Proxies, I think.

Hey and don't be angry Draco, no need to get defensive, the LP is very exciting precisely because you're playing fast and hard, and I simply love how you're taking pretty much basic/common/cool weapons, then showing that you don't need the best gun to win, and then looting the corpses when out of ammo :) But I was talking about 1x1 ammo, not the bigger stuff - I just thought that you simply don't know it has changed in OXCE :)

Offline DracoGriffin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 02, 2015, 05:48:55 am »
Wow, that's interesting. Experiment beats hearsay - so I was wrong with my info! But I still think that grenades give much better xp than tossing 'just anything'. And yeah, by grenades mean 'dealing damage by primed explosives'. Doesn't work for Proxies, I think.

Hey and don't be angry Draco, no need to get defensive, the LP is very exciting precisely because you're playing fast and hard, and I simply love how you're taking pretty much basic/common/cool weapons, then showing that you don't need the best gun to win, and then looting the corpses when out of ammo :) But I was talking about 1x1 ammo, not the bigger stuff - I just thought that you simply don't know it has changed in OXCE :)

Hah, not defensive or upset, I just take my Piratez seriously. ;) And yeah, I know I carried 1x1 & 2x1 ammo in the backpack until you commented on YouTube, so that's when I started re-evaluating where I was storing ammo.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile

Offline Boltgun

• Colonel
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
    • Piratez let's play
Re: Let's play X-PirateZ [#13] Cyberdiscs
« Reply #223 on: December 02, 2015, 06:49:14 pm »
When I read 'Cyberdiscs' I thought that you were in for a world of pain, but now I'm so jealous that you took one off with a black powder bomb (the hi-explo probably softened it but still).

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: Let's play X-PirateZ [#13] Cyberdiscs
« Reply #224 on: December 02, 2015, 07:33:55 pm »
Don't speak too early Boltgun, there are still
Spoiler:
of these infernal machines left... (and if anyone wonders, they're NOT toughened at all compared to vanilla) and also tons of well-armored Drones and other enemies, most of them packing lasers that easily go through the armor our gals have. But this might not be a problem for Meridian as he doesn't rely on armor - which, in this Pogrom, is a good thing (just like it was a bad thing in the previous one) :).

Spoiler:
Good thing he already took the psyker out.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 07:36:52 pm by Dioxine »