Author Topic: [SUGGESTION] Rearranging openxcom menu mod display  (Read 2748 times)

niculinux

[SUGGESTION] Rearranging openxcom menu mod display
« on: August 30, 2015, 12:10:38 pm »
Hello!

Personally i find the mod menu quite a bit disorienting, therefore i'd like to make some suggestions:

1) total conversions should have a separated drop down menu, and below should be shown only Xcomutil/Openxcom since i guess these are universally applicabile;

2) the user content mods/third party mod should apperar on top, or at the bottomo, right before/after the Xcomutil/Openxcom native options so that users may find more easily what they are searchin for.

In the second point obvoously there's not need to create a dropdown menu.

Attached is a screenshot, pretty indecent i know  :o but i hope you may get the idea :)

Edit: clarifications
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 12:22:37 pm by niculinux »

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: [SUGGESTION] Rearranging openxcom menu mod display
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 01:54:18 pm »
1: they already do, it's the "game type" dropdown. there's no reason to have a whole menu screen dedicated to that. xcomutil isn't a total conversion, it's a collection of modular modifications (or mods), hence why it's packaged as such.

2: the order they are listed on that screen is the order they are loaded. preserving the user defined order is important. any newly installed mods will be added to the end of the list for multiple reasons, chief among them being user sanity.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 02:17:11 pm by Warboy1982 »

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 05:37:39 pm »
One thing I do for all third party mods to distinguish them from the pre set ones of xcomUtil etc is edit the metadata.yml file and make their names all capital letters-see attached screenshots, one from my current game and one from a metadata.yml file. This isn't all the mods I've running atm but gives you an idea.

niculinux

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 06:14:34 pm »
That should be the trick! Don't know if it may be possible, instead of capital, may use a different color for the related fonts?

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 01:26:55 am »
We don't have a lot of colors to work with. :P We'll probably do some more UI spring cleaning at some point.