Author Topic: image editors / graphics programs  (Read 99502 times)

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: image editors / graphics programs
« Reply #90 on: February 16, 2024, 07:01:42 pm »
Maybe I am looking at the wrong program here but from what I see that thing is a video player. I can open an image file with it but I can't save it.

Menu File, item Save as.

Offline Cooper

• Colonel
  • Chryssalids are awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 20, 2024, 11:59:56 pm »
I recently started using GIMP. I'm on Linux, and I never liked any of the other options in the original post. After using GIMP things are just so much easier.

The advice from jStuffer worked for me:
I've found that you can reuse a palette from existing valid graphic files. Just open a good image in GIMP, delete/hide the original layer, resize as needed and paste into it your own graphics; the palette should remain from the previous image and apply to your new layer.
This has produced working sprites for me.

Offline ontherun

• Colonel
  • Lazy-ass captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 27, 2024, 01:12:24 pm »
there are also some online alternatives, like:

pixilart -  https://www.pixilart.com/ (also avaiable on google play and apple app stores, can import palettes but insertin color values manually!)

piskel - https://www.piskelapp.com/ (supports palette importing and also animation, there is an offline version too avaiable to download)

Closing notes: older aseprite versions, up to 0.9.5 are legally downloadable too, here: https://www.aseprite.org/older-versions/
only win, mac and linux versions, no android one but source code for compiling is avaiable...as for such verison there is no rotating tool nor an import palette function, the only way to achieve the latter is open an image with the oxce palette and then paste/draw in it  :'(

bonus: if you're nostalgic try deluxe paint 2 online! (works only on desktop pc)

Edit: openxcom palettes can be found here

« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 06:35:42 pm by ontherun »

Offline PPQ

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 28, 2024, 12:21:41 am »
Thanks you all. I really appreciate your efforts to help. However, I simply have far too much experience with Paint.NET and far too little time to start learning a new tool. So it's either PDN or nothing for me. And since Paint.NET exports PNG files in a stupid way that pretty much means there is no editor that I can use. So I just had to go write my own.

Well, to be specific I wrote a piece of software that can convert PDN exported PNG files into XCOM compliant ones by swapping out the palette and fixing the indices. So I'll just use that. Sure it's an extra step to convert each image after saving but I get to use the tool I know. Plus it was fun to write and learn about the insane innards of the PNG format.

I don't know if there is interest in it but if so I might publish it for people to use. I am hesitant to do so right away because it would take as much work to polish it into something usable by anyone but me as it did to write it. ;D

Offline ontherun

• Colonel
  • Lazy-ass captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 28, 2024, 10:11:59 am »
I don't know if there is interest in it but if so I might publish it for people to use. I am hesitant to do so right away because it would take as much work to polish it into something usable by anyone but me as it did to write it. ;D

Please do it!At least with some usability improvement? By the way irfanview is ok so use paint.net and then convert images with the oxce palette with the former  :)