aliens

Author Topic: Puppy Linux thtr  (Read 13206 times)

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
Re: Puppy Linux thtr
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2015, 09:20:46 am »
which ppa do you use?

EDIT: Anyway, both ppa uses same options. Your binary should be in /usr/games/, data-files should be placed to /usr/share/games/openxcom/UFO/ and /usr/share/games/openxcom/TFTD/.

No Editor in the world beats Vim! Vim beats all. Vim is the ultimate editor.

One Vim to rule them all, One Vim to find them,
One Vim to bring them all and in the nerdness bind them!

niculinux

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2015, 10:16:31 am »
Nice poem!! ;D

Offline Leprechaun

• Sergeant
  • Linux Mint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2015, 02:42:43 am »
which ppa do you use?
apt-get clean, then reboot, then update, then upgrade got it loaded. It's working now, and I have FMP working too.

Thanks!

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2015, 03:02:10 am »
apt-get clean, then reboot, then update, then upgrade got it loaded.
Seriously? Usually it's not necessary to do a reboot when updating something as simple and non-critical as a ppa of openxcom. Usually it's quite sufficient to do
Code: [Select]
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:winterheart/openxcom
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install openxcom
for installation and
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
for updating. If it's really not updating then, a
sudo apt-get dist-upgrademay be in order, but no reboots. At least I wouldn't understand at all, why one would have to reboot for openxcom. I don't think, it would install a new kernel image... :o

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2015, 03:24:41 am »
Seriously? Usually it's not necessary to do a reboot when updating something as simple and non-critical as a ppa of openxcom. Usually it's quite sufficient to do
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:winterheart/openxcom
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install openxcom
for installation and
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
for updating. If it's really not updating then, a
sudo apt-get dist-upgrademay be in order, but no reboots. At least I wouldn't understand at all, why one would have to reboot for openxcom. I don't think, it would install a new kernel image... :o
considering that you can even hotfixing kernel in linux. another thing is that you could probably update openxcom while it still running because deleting file don't made it unavailable for programs that already opened it (but it crash if it try reopen it).

Offline Leprechaun

• Sergeant
  • Linux Mint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2015, 11:48:19 pm »
It was almost certainly overkill, but having tried the install and not getting anything when I clicked on the icon from the menu, I took action. Since I got it to work, I'd say it was the right thing to do ... and certainly better than sitting around scratching myself and hoping someone could come up with an answer.

I'm not much on sitting around. I'll poke at things until I get it to work.

I still could use some help understanding the save file format. I want to be able to edit the names, races, sexes, and so on of my team. Yes, the file is English, but every time I look at it things move around. I can't understand how things can move, but the bases and so on still look the same. I have been able to edit names, but can't get races and sexes to change reliably. Help?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 11:51:36 pm by Leprechaun »

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2015, 01:12:48 am »
You provably change battle unit, entity that exist only during battlescape. You need look for `soldiers`.
And you should look to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YAML and https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Rulesets_%28OpenXcom%29 to get better grasp how OXC handle informations in files.

Offline Leprechaun

• Sergeant
  • Linux Mint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2015, 02:37:09 pm »
You provably change battle unit, entity that exist only during battlescape. You need look for `soldiers`.
And you should look to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YAML and https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Rulesets_%28OpenXcom%29 to get better grasp how OXC handle informations in files.
No, I was working from the initial Geoscape save.

Modding games is fun, and everyone likes something different. Personally I like to play with people I can relate to. SOMEONE has to open the door with a hostile alien on the other side. I've already lost Hillary Clinton and Rosie O'Donnell, and it's only February 1999.  ;D

Thanks very much for the links. I'll do some more reading.