Author Topic: Can not replace some graphics files (hard coded?) and a tiny TFTD bug report  (Read 4238 times)

Offline Neo23

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Hi, I want to replace/edit some original graphics, but it seems that
not all files actually are replaceable.
In the original TFTD game, the background when using the motion scanner,
is black, but in OpenXcom it is transparent (which looks better IMHO).
But now a ugly graphics glitch comes to light. The middle radar screen in
the interface has transparent edges and outlines. So you can see through the
display.
I edited the image and put this in my ruleset:

Code: [Select]
extraSprites:
  - type: DETBORD.BDY
    singleImage: true
    width: 320
    height: 200
    files:
      0: Resources/Neo23_TFTD_Remastered/UFOGRAPH/DETBORD.png
  - type: DETBORD2.BDY
    singleImage: true
    width: 320
    height: 200
    files:
      0: Resources/Neo23_TFTD_Remastered/UFOGRAPH/DETBORD2.png

In game it still shows the original file. My new file is not loaded at all.
Some time ago I already tried to change the space background of the geoscape
for a TC of mine in the regular UFO and had the same problem (GEOGRAPH/GEOBORD.SCR). I recolor the
buttons in my ruleset and they work fine. My new geobord.png is also loaded, but
replaces only the clock and rotate button backgrounds on the right side, but _not_ the
space nebula behind the globe.

There are more of these files which cannot be replaced. Are these hard coded in the
EXE? It would be very cool, if all files could be modified (I am sure all the TCs out there, like FMP
or Piratez would like such a feature too).

P.S. Sorry for my english writing, I hope this is understandable.

P.P.S. I do not want to open a new thread for this, so here is a little bug report for
TFTD too: The artifact mission level 2 is not under water, but it is supposed to be.

Keep up the good work, I really love this project and X-Com.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 02:05:59 pm by Neo23 »

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
modding tftd is not yet supported, so it's no real surprise you're having problems.

i know the actual files are .BDY, but if you put them in the ruleset as .PCK it will work.

Offline Neo23

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Thank you very much, I changed BDY to PCK and it works for the Particle Disturbance Sensor graphics in TFTD.

I tried the same in my regular UFO:EU Total Conversion (X-Com1) with "GEOBORD.SCR", but as stated above,
it replaces only the right side not the star background. Is there some trick to change the
space nebula behind the globe too (even color only would be better than nothing)?
I changed the "Launch Rocket" and "PSI" buttons of "SPICONS.DAT" some time ago too, but they also
do not appear in game. I think there may be more, but these two are the most important for me for now.
This ist not meant for TFTD, but UFO (just in case it sounds like a TFTD only report).

I totally forgot to post about the wrong TFTD sell menu colors aside my artifact bug report in my first post, but as I see, you already
fixed that. Nice!

Edit:
Found another tiny bug in TFTD with the Dart Pistol. It has the wrong impact sound (funny for this tiny weapon, because for now it is a heavy
projectile impact SFX, reminds me of the first MIB movie somehow). Should be ID 16 instead of 21.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 09:52:42 pm by Neo23 »

niculinux

Some info about .bdy file format may be found at file-extension.org, i hope it's the format discussed here, not two names being the same!

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Some info about .bdy file format may be found at file-extension.org, i hope it's the format discussed here, not two names being the same!
It's two names being the same. :P

Some time ago I already tried to change the space background of the geoscape
for a TC of mine in the regular UFO and had the same problem (GEOGRAPH/GEOBORD.SCR). I recolor the
buttons in my ruleset and they work fine. My new geobord.png is also loaded, but
replaces only the clock and rotate button backgrounds on the right side, but _not_ the
space nebula behind the globe.

There are more of these files which cannot be replaced. Are these hard coded in the
EXE? It would be very cool, if all files could be modified (I am sure all the TCs out there, like FMP
or Piratez would like such a feature too).
We plan to address these later as well as the TFTD modding issues.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 12:41:48 pm by SupSuper »

Offline Neo23

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Sounds very good. I replaced the original files for now, but proper modding support would be very handy for these files.
Looking forward to full TFTD modding support as well. Sometimes it is a bit hard to test things, because of custom sounds and objects related crashes with vanilla IDs.
As always, keep up the good work!