Author Topic: SONAR SUBS FOR TFTD  (Read 4496 times)

Offline arrakis69ct

• Colonel
    • View Profile
SONAR SUBS FOR TFTD
« on: August 25, 2015, 01:04:14 am »
I am working on a serie of subs sonars.... this is my first release

the first sub is nereo..... a simple rental sonar sub....

i am working in the sprites... i have difficult in this point.....

https://www.openxcom.com/mod/sonar-subs-for-tftd
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 02:04:02 am by arrakis69ct »

Offline chaosshade

• Colonel
  • The Harpy
    • View Profile
Re: SONAR SUBS FOR TFTD
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 02:26:06 am »
I never used the AWACS mod, but I always thought it was a decent idea based upon the fact that sometimes you can build a base and go MONTHS without detecting anything.  In TFTD it's even more important to keep up w/ the alien subs so you can keep your score up.  I can't wait to see what you get done when this is finally finished.  Don't be afraid to ask questions, everyone is here to help, even the trolls, lol.

niculinux

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 09:42:13 pm »
Imtoo agree. Maybe poor range sonar, but still the game's hard as hell, but i like it :)

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 12:26:44 am »
I also agree. UFO/XCOM has a frustrating aspect, it's that there's no way to adapt your efforts of land protection : Alien agenda is month-based, so even if you get a hint of which area is targettted by aliens in a specific month, it's no need putting a base there because it will take a minimum of 15 days to build a radar, and in future months this area is not more or less likely to be targeted. So what do you do ? You put your bases in the same places, in every single game, no matter what the aliens do.

Detection ships (with several days of autonomy) make a lot of sense. I've often used the main transport ship for this, but so many times it makes me miss a mission elsewhere because the ship spends hours refueling, or a batteship rushes to your home base while the transport is thousands of kilometers away, with all your best soldiers and equipment....

Offline arrakis69ct

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 02:33:37 pm »
I never used the AWACS mod, but I always thought it was a decent idea based upon the fact that sometimes you can build a base and go MONTHS without detecting anything.  In TFTD it's even more important to keep up w/ the alien subs so you can keep your score up.  I can't wait to see what you get done when this is finally finished.  Don't be afraid to ask questions, everyone is here to help, even the trolls, lol.

Is the first sub. my idea is create a kit of 3 subs. the second with better sonar and alien allois. and the third much better with all alien components.....

in a future i want limit the sonar to deep to
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 02:36:53 pm by arrakis69ct »

Offline Bob of Mage

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 12:23:13 am »
After taking a peek at the sub's stats, I feel that it needs better range. A ship like this would be able to operate for a fairly long time due to it not going any where. This means it's engine would be geared to burn fuel at a much slower rate. I don't think this can be done in game so the best option is to greatly increase the amount of fuel it can carry (as it stands now the Triton carries more fuel). Also remember it doesn't need low drag so it can carry lots of extra fuel tanks too.

Offline chaosshade

• Colonel
  • The Harpy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 01:44:42 am »
After taking a peek at the sub's stats, I feel that it needs better range. A ship like this would be able to operate for a fairly long time due to it not going any where. This means it's engine would be geared to burn fuel at a much slower rate. I don't think this can be done in game so the best option is to greatly increase the amount of fuel it can carry (as it stands now the Triton carries more fuel). Also remember it doesn't need low drag so it can carry lots of extra fuel tanks too.

Fuel consumption is a function of speed, acceleration, and engine state (patrol mode is like half the fuel consumption of travel mode I think.)  That's why the Triton/Skyranger can linger in the air for so long, they accelerate very slowly and have low top speeds.  The Manta, on the other hand, has a very high top speed and very high acceleration coupled with an absolutely tiny fuel tank so it burns through fuel very quickly and can't travel very far.