aliens

Author Topic: Wild Fantasies: Melting Pot  (Read 9245 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Wild Fantasies: Melting Pot
« on: November 21, 2015, 11:51:55 am »
This wild fantasy isn't particularly wild, it only relies on Yankes adding the new multiple soldier types functionality from the main branch, as well as a lot of work. It's not really revolutionary either, especially since I've been talking with Dioxine and he expressed interest. But somebody has to say it: multiracial pirates.

According to the lore, there are several basic mutant strains on Earth, or in other words consistent mutant types or "races". One of them are ubers, which we already have, but there are other strains too, and there's nothing preventing them joining the crew. It should however be noted that ubers are generally the best pirates Earth has to offer (stat-wise), so some sort of mechanics would have to be introduced to make these other races viable.

HUMANS: pureblood humans are the same as those who serve in the factions. Their basic profile is similar to X-Com agents', but they're generally better at melee (it's a tough world).
LAMIAS: a stable strain of centauroid mutants: half-humans, half-snakes, created in Star Gods’ experiments. With natural armour, they are tough (comparable to ubers), as well as brave, but not very good at psionics. They have good melee, firing and throwing accuracy, but are somewhat lacking in speed. They can use decent heavy armour, but it must be made specifically for their body plan.
BRUTES: big mutants, strong and resilient. They have good strength and health values, but not as much armour as ubers. They are too big to wear armour for ubers and therefore need their own designs, which are less diverse but analogous. Brutes heavily augmented with cybernetics and bioengineering for combat are called mutons.
HYBRIDS: similar to humans, but they have lower health and a bit less strength. They are good psionics though, and they have excellent night vision. They can use the same armours as humans.

niculinux

Re: Wild Fantasies: Melting Pot
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 02:17:54 pm »
Very very very very interesting, lookin' forward to it!

Offline DracoGriffin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Steam: DracoGriffin
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 08:19:52 pm »
Man, this is a great idea. The amount of sprite work seems astounding; changes to manufacturing would be needed to tweak for all the new amount of things to make (already money feels a lot more difficult to come about with only a Still going compared to a few versions ago).

And there would be a huge increase for information needed. Already there isn't really much on stats or mechanics except whatever a veteran X-Com player knows. There is the Piratez wiki but I think having more concrete information from the Bootypedia would be great. (Something like researching each race/mutant strain that would give a large dossier of data)

Also, I always assumed Lamia -> Snakeman hybrid, Brute -> Muton hybrid, Hybrid -> Sectoid hybrid (which seems canon with the Reticulan faction added).

niculinux

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 08:23:49 pm »
Forgot to write sorry, did not like lamia..playng wiht a snale it's not that appealing...at least for me, some other humanoid sprite would be fine though  :-\

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 09:17:15 pm »
That sounds pretty cool indeed :) But also like a lot of work.

If I remember well, the armors could be tweaked so that, say, a tactical vest can show in the armor list as multiple varieties of armors (Say: "Tac Vest [Ub], Tac Vest
, Tac Vest [Hu]" if it fits Ubers, Brutes and Humans/Hybrids). A bit like how tactical armors can be helmeted or not. That helps with the manufacturing, but of course not the spriting.

Also, another way of differentiating types could be the starting vs max cap. It is entirely possible/acceptable for rookie ubers to be worse than rookies of other types (an hybrid will be a better voodoo dude, a brute a better melee, and a snake a better shooter because of "snake reflexes"), but that if you do get the Uber, since they thing is learning really well, their max stats would allow them to be almost as good as every types in their specialty (so a much better "all-rounder" than any type).

Also, I don't like the idea of having humans on the crew. They should have worse starting/max stats than mutants in pretty much everything (I can't see anything a human should be better at than a Uber), and the mod seems to be about mutants standing up for themselves. Humans as "battlefield slaves" is fine, but as soldiers? Maybe if there was a tech/hacker type as they tend to have a better education than mutants?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 09:39:35 pm »
And there would be a huge increase for information needed. Already there isn't really much on stats or mechanics except whatever a veteran X-Com player knows. There is the Piratez wiki but I think having more concrete information from the Bootypedia would be great. (Something like researching each race/mutant strain that would give a large dossier of data)

I think there might be something in the Piratez RPG rulebook... But I'm not sure, there's no real lore written in yet.

Also, I always assumed Lamia -> Snakeman hybrid, Brute -> Muton hybrid, Hybrid -> Sectoid hybrid (which seems canon with the Reticulan faction added).

Correct with the bug-eyed hybrid, perhaps Snakeman hybrid too. But Muton is a design rather than a species: you take a big humanoid (Brute or similar) and you engineer it to hell and back.

Forgot to write sorry, did not like lamia..playng wiht a snale it's not that appealing...at least for me, some other humanoid sprite would be fine though  :-\

HOW COULD YOU!

If I remember well, the armors could be tweaked so that, say, a tactical vest can show in the armor list as multiple varieties of armors (Say: "Tac Vest [Ub], Tac Vest
, Tac Vest [Hu]" if it fits Ubers, Brutes and Humans/Hybrids). A bit like how tactical armors can be helmeted or not. That helps with the manufacturing, but of course not the spriting.

Yes.

Also, another way of differentiating types could be the starting vs max cap. It is entirely possible/acceptable for rookie ubers to be worse than rookies of other types (an hybrid will be a better voodoo dude, a brute a better melee, and a snake a better shooter because of "snake reflexes"), but that if you do get the Uber, since they thing is learning really well, their max stats would allow them to be almost as good as every types in their specialty (so a much better "all-rounder" than any type).

Yeah, we've been discussing it with Dioxine today. In short, you're absolutely right, and Dioxine is more optimistic about balancing everything than I. :)

Good idea with Reactions on snakes.

Also, I don't like the idea of having humans on the crew. They should have worse starting/max stats than mutants in pretty much everything (I can't see anything a human should be better at than a Uber),

Yeah, but you know, it's not just humans - all of these races are overall weaker than ubers. It worries me to be honest, but Dioxine says it'll be fine. So I guess it will be. :)

and the mod seems to be about mutants standing up for themselves. Humans as "battlefield slaves" is fine, but as soldiers? Maybe if there was a tech/hacker type as they tend to have a better education than mutants?

Yes, I thought about the same thing; having humans kind of weakens the "racial unrest" motif. But on the other hand, there are human pirates in this world, and they don't care much about ideology, so blocking the player from using them would be artificial.

Hey, nice idea with the tech specialization. But ubers seem to be quite good with technology as well.

niculinux

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 10:06:24 pm »
Hey, nice idea with the tech specialization. But ubers seem to be quite good with technology as well.

Oh, of course. Ubers learn fast, that's their thing ;) But if there could be a tech/hacking (like Deckers/Riggers in Shadowrun) side of the game, it seems like the one where "pure blood" humans would get a starting edge. Then Ubers would mostly catch up if they try, like they can mostly catch up with anything else if they try.

I like this idea, because it encourages a varied team. A few brutes as line breakers, a few lamias as marksmen, a few hybrids as voodoo witches, a few human techies, and the rest of the craft filled with Ubers as they are the most versatile and make the best all-round pirates, so the most able to cope with whatever comes up.

niculinux

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2015, 10:57:39 pm »
Oh, of course. Ubers learn fast, that's their thing ;) But if there could be a tech/hacking (like Deckers/Riggers in Shadowrun) side of the game, it seems like the one where "pure blood" humans would get a starting edge. Then Ubers would mostly catch up if they try, like they can mostly catch up with anything else if they try.

I like this idea, because it encourages a varied team. A few brutes as line breakers, a few lamias as marksmen, a few hybrids as voodoo witches, a few human techies, and the rest of the craft filled with Ubers as they are the most versatile and make the best all-round pirates, so the most able to cope with whatever comes up.

Agree but I hope that the above featured stuff would be avaiable as additional stuff (see here) otherwise it is likely to alterr piratez, meaning to begin the making from scratch?

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2015, 11:17:19 pm »
Nah, I doubt it would require remaking from scratch. Just a tweaking of various stats to ensure diversity and a LOT of work making sprites for all the different mutant strains. Piratez has a lot of armors, even if those 4 new strains get half as much, that's still a LOT more armors! And sprites are notoriously tedious to make, even if you just tweak them.

niculinux

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2015, 01:40:05 pm »
Nah, I doubt it would require remaking from scratch. Just a tweaking of various stats to ensure diversity and a LOT of work making sprites for all the different mutant strains. Piratez has a lot of armors, even if those 4 new strains get half as much, that's still a LOT more armors! And sprites are notoriously tedious to make, even if you just tweak them.

I see but still not sure, mainly because the "theme" of the game are "gals" mhhhhh :P so it would be unfitting, not to mention all these pics in the bootypedia! :D Better have as an addon content rather than "native" ;)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2015, 02:16:49 pm »
in the worst case we can have a mod which swaps uber girls to, say, hybrid girls. :)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2015, 02:25:04 pm »
Replicating near-humans won't be much of a problem, as I have a huge library of altered original X-COM/TFTD soldier paperdolls. But it's far in the future for now. Besides, (non-dumb) switching/replacing means MORE work than adding, I mind ya.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2015, 04:28:00 pm »
in the worst case we can have a mod which swaps uber girls to, say, hybrid girls. :)

Sounds like someone wants add some variations to his game.. ;)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2015, 05:08:09 pm »
Sounds like someone wants add some variations to his game.. ;)

Nya!~