Author Topic: Firaxis: TFTD remake "may still be a possibility in the future."  (Read 5160 times)

Offline velox100

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Hi Folks,
just thought I'd let you know on this: https://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/firaxis-considered-remaking-terror-from-the-deep/0154530

no confirmation or anything, but still

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
Re: Firaxis: TFTD remake "may still be a possibility in the future."
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 07:03:03 pm »
Man oh man, they're really interested in killing everyone's childhood. I'm kidding, but seriously I'd like to see what they could do with TFTD in 3D. Good or bad, I'll probably wait awhile. The whole XCOM remake collection sealed in one box at Goodwill would be a good day for me.

I wonder if they're also watching how OpenTFTD is doing. Did they ever give any attention to OXC? I think they did, but I don't remember who it was. I got the feeling that Gollop wasn't too fond of the OXC remake. I can understand if a creator sees his work being altered, but shoot, it's for the better! Plus we got Warboy to filter out all the bad ideas. Make'em proud!

They seriously need to do a dev let's play of OpenTFTD!! If anyone can, go twedder Jake about it.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 07:10:19 pm by Mr. Quiet »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 09:25:19 pm »
They'll release it, probaly, why not milk that nostalgia cow some moar :) But I wonder how they will make the water enviornment... On that crappy engine of theirs... They'll need a better one. It'll be interesting if only for how TFTD seems to unassailable - they can't make it stupid, it's already silly, but on the other hand, it's silly in it's own, modernity-incompatible way :) It'll be extremely hard to Bioware the TFTD, like they did with Ufo Defense, I think...

If Gollop is really not happy that someone is making a free, opensource remake of his game (read: he'll get no cash from it, well except the new sales of the originals on steam, but I wonder if he even still owns any rights to these 2 games), then he's really gotten old and senile and it's better to remember him as a great game designer of old who got immortalized by his works. And even more so, by the derivatives of his works, from Jagged Alliance to OXCom.

But to be honest, I doubt he's like that. Why should he dislike such a tribute to his name? I don't think so.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 09:30:47 pm by Dioxine »

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 11:35:06 pm »
i wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if people at firaxis were keeping a close eye on this project. if nothing else we're providing a good litmus test for the level of nostalgia people feel about this game, and there's probably some suggestions and feedback that could apply equally to them as to us.
if they are watching, they're not very vocal about it, and i wouldn't be surprised if they were discouraged from posting at all, either contractually or because of the constant bashing of their products.
i'm unaware of any public statement from Firaxis regarding OpenXCom, and in fact we've made a few attempts to contact them to make sure we're not breaking any laws. so far i don't think we've heard back, but i'll take silence over a C&D any day.

As for Mr Gollop, he's well aware of our project, and has even given us his blessing. The man himself described it as an improved version of the original, and I don't think we could possibly receive a higher accolade.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 01:04:14 am »
Some people at Firaxis have kept an eye on OXC and other projects, even if they are hardly mentioned in an official way. I think this absence of news is both because of contract clauses (you shall not lurk in fan forums while working on the game) and lack of opportunity rather than their products being bashed here.

Solomon has tweeted in the past that he has spent more time at UFOPedia.org than he cares to remember and there's the Easter Egg included on Enemy Unknown about the Skyranger. IvanDogovich was recently contacted by Firaxis when he decided to quit his LP of Piratez.

And I've noticed quite a few "coincidences" between Enemy Unknown and other fan projects that might just be random but that I wouldn't be surprised if they were some sort of unofficial nods.

Offline Bob of Mage

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 10:35:30 pm »
I'd say the lack of offical comments is due to copyright issues. If they make a game that mirrors a mod too much, they could be taken to court. Thus by having some distance from the forums they can use ideas that might overlap with common mod ideas (the post-invasion X-COM 2 idea for example). The company lawyers are just making them play safe.

niculinux

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 10:55:05 pm »
Honestly, more than a remake, i'd like to see a linux versions for botg ufo/tftd (think about .rpm and/or .deb packages, yummmy), or even relase the source code for free!!! :P I fear a remake may be li 2011's duke nukem ...:(

Offline Sectiplave

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2015, 07:29:59 am »
As for Mr Gollop, he's well aware of our project, and has even given us his blessing. The man himself described it as an improved version of the original, and I don't think we could possibly receive a higher accolade.

Yeah that's about as good as it gets, nice to hear he is a fan/supporter :)

I'd be all for a TFTD remake. I understand it might not be popular opinion with fans of the older titles, but I enjoy the new X-Com games! I was a big skeptic much like I was with Fallout 3 becoming an FPS, after being a huge fan of Fallout 1 & 2.

Once I sat down with the new titles and reviewed what barriers I had put into place for accepting these titles, I was able to find a lot of enjoyment from what were solid games based on IP I enjoy in a different format. A lot of the lack of acceptance is not because the new games are bad, but because of the format change not being in line with expectations.

It's all subjective of course, everyone deals with change in different ways.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 07:38:04 am by Sectiplave »