aliens

Author Topic: [DONE] show total item count in UFOPEDIA right under item name  (Read 9721 times)

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
add the total inv count (from all sources) for the item youre looking at.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 11:58:45 am by Meridian »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: show total item count in UFOPEDIA right under item name
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 01:56:28 pm »
+1. It may sound a bit weird at first, but I think it'd actually be useful (as opposed to most UI requests).

niculinux

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 04:41:14 pm »
+1. It may sound a bit weird at first, but I think it'd actually be useful (as opposed to most UI requests).

+1

Offline Sputnik

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 10:22:15 pm »
+1

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 05:02:48 pm »
What would it be used for? Can't think of a use case...

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 07:18:23 am »
What would it be used for? Can't think of a use case...

well the idea is to show the total item count  from all sources . so anything loaded in ships or in stores in various bases   like total grenades, total alloys, total whatever all under one total number for each item. off the bat is useful to quickly see if you have enough of one type of item.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 05:13:38 pm »
I agree it would be very useful, but I don't know how to integrate it in the Ufopaedia.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 05:31:26 pm »
well the idea is to show the total item count  from all sources . so anything loaded in ships or in stores in various bases   like total grenades, total alloys, total whatever all under one total number for each item. off the bat is useful to quickly see if you have enough of one type of item.

I understand what the idea is.
The use case you mentioned is technically correct, but I cannot think of an item I would need to check that way... maybe except for Alien Alloys and Elerium... but I have those usually in one base anyway and can easily check in Sell screen, or Manufacturing screen, or Stores screens.

Why would I need to know number of, let's say, Motion scanners, Interceptors, Plasma defences, Sectoid corpses, etc. ?

I agree it would be very useful, but I don't know how to integrate it in the Ufopaedia.

I believe you it would be useful to you... but can you tell us how? What would you do with that information? At least 1-2 examples... once I understand the use, we can think of how to integrate it.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 05:38:52 pm »
I believe you it would be useful to you... but can you tell us how? What would you do with that information? At least 1-2 examples... once I understand the use, we can think of how to integrate it.

Piratez uses a high number of ingredients for various manufacturing products, it's not hard to think of an example - armours are a good one. But it would also help me a lot in FMP, because it was really a pain to keep looking for alloys and electronics in all my bases only to find none at all.

Or, well, rare ammo.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2016, 08:06:49 pm »
Piratez uses a high number of ingredients for various manufacturing products, it's not hard to think of an example - armours are a good one. But it would also help me a lot in FMP, because it was really a pain to keep looking for alloys and electronics in all my bases only to find none at all.

Or, well, rare ammo.

Fair enough, I'll have a look next weekend. My vacation unfortunately ends today, so it won't go as quickly as until now.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 10:56:45 am »
A good idea but the Pedia is, I think, a very bad place for this kind of info. Maybe some sort of 'show all/show this base' toggle under the General Stores menu?

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2016, 12:25:50 pm »
A good idea but the Pedia is, I think, a very bad place for this kind of info. Maybe some sort of 'show all/show this base' toggle under the General Stores menu?

I was also thinking about a "watch list", a new global GUI where you can add items yourself and it would show you global count of these selected items. The advantage would be that the list is short... I would add for example only Alien Alloys and Elerium there... but I don't know if the same use case applies to mods/TCs and how other people want to use it.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2016, 01:04:18 pm »
I agree that the Ufopaedia is an awkward place for this kind of info, but I can't come up with anything better.

Can you please explain how your idea would work? Where be the button at? :)

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2016, 01:41:38 pm »
I agree that the Ufopaedia is an awkward place for this kind of info, but I can't come up with anything better.

Can you please explain how your idea would work? Where be the button at? :)

The button would be directly on the Geoscape (same as intercept, bases, graphs, options, funding, etc.) but there is no more space there :) So at the beginning I would do only a hotkey, without a button.

Then a new GUI opens, which has a list of all items from all sources with their global count.
You can scroll through the list and mark/unmark some items (with a simple mouse click) as "watched".

On the bottom there would be OK button to close the GUI and also a [Show only watched] toggle button, which would filter the (very long) list and show only the items you have marked as watched.

The watched items would be saved in the save file, so that you don't have to select them every time of course.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 01:43:10 pm by Meridian »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2016, 01:59:42 pm »
Sounds good.

Can it be done so that the button is visible on higher resolutions? It would be hidden if you play in native, but when you set it to modern resolutions, there's some space left, and it could accommodate a new button. But that would probably be hard/messy, no?