Author Topic: Luckiest Artefact Site Mission EVER  (Read 4668 times)

Offline DarkGam3r

• Squaddie
  • Frying Lobstermen
    • View Profile
Luckiest Artefact Site Mission EVER
« on: August 20, 2015, 04:33:50 am »
So I'm a total TFTD noob, I own the game on steam and tried it out. I gave up after failing my second uso raid twice (on Experienced). Recently I saw that nightlies are being released for a TFTD version of Openxcom, so I gave it a try. Same results.
After persevering through multiple failed ironman Experienced games (first time I ever saw a gameover screen in an XCOM game before...), I eventually got a game that went really well. I managed my money like a boss and got myself sonic cannons by mid-month 2. From then on the game was a breeze with the occasional rough Lobsterman mission. Month 4 I got an artefact site mission, breezed through it no problem. At month 7 I got another one, but it wasn't easy this time.

Getting into the site itself was easy, like last time. However, the tentaculat guards decided to hide in corners this time and wait for my aquanauts to slowly gather at the elevator areas. Tasoths were getting shot down left and right, then each one was panicking so molecular control wasn't an issue. Slowly inching towards the "building" with the communications thing, (forgot its name >.>) one Tentaculat showed up in front of my rookie scout. He shoots and kills, then I give him an imaginary pat on the head before ending the turn.

Then another Tentaculat shows, then another, then another. They convert my scout into a zombie and move within near striking distance of the rest of my soldiers. Meanwhile Tasoths were losing their s*** and blowing everything up in a blind panic. My turn begins.

3 Tentaculats, one zombie, and four aquanauts with Sonic Pulsers and Sonic Cannons. With a master plan in mind, I move one of my men up to near striking distance of the zombie (two squares), and tell him to take a snap shot at the zombie. The idea here is that one aquanaut will shoot the zombie, revealing its Tentaculat form, then another aquanaut will toss a Sonic Pulser in the vicinity of all the aliens then blow them all up without a fuss. The one who shoots the zombie will remain unharmed due to his Ion Armor. Unfortunately, he missed.

With the plan falling apart, I desperately order my soldiers to shoot the other 3 Tentaculats, hoping it would reduce the damage. They must've had booze that morning because they only managed to kill one of them. Realizing it was hopeless, I ordered the last of the four to escape up the elevator so that he can escape next turn. I now end my turn.

The zombie converts one aquanaut, and two Tentaculats do the same to the others. One goes up the elevator and consumes my final aquanaut. More stuff blows up, then the turn ends. It was over.

MISSION SUCCESS

Rating:   Excellent!

Those Tasoths blew up the communication device right at the end of that turn. Luckiest damn mission ever.

Also: Hello, OpenXcom forums!

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Luckiest Artefact Site Mission EVER
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 05:06:43 am »
I like it, artifact sites are always a bit nasty but having the bad guys blow up the Synonium device is as you say bloody lucky, hey we all need luck don't we. Welcome to the forum and if you think that's bad, you're in for a nice surprise. Try OPEN TFTD with the limited mods at present, TFTD hasn't full support atm, on superhuman difficulty level.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 09:08:46 am »
Perfect.

Offline Sectiplave

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 08:20:35 am »
Wow I don't think I've ever experienced anything as lucky as that! I'll always remember my first artifact mission in TFTD; mistakes were made, so were A LOT of zombies :D

Offline doctor medic

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 09:22:46 pm »
Wow next you will say that you had a recovery mission with all the aliens dead from the engine

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 08:26:43 am »
Wow next you will say that you had a recovery mission with all the aliens dead from the engine

That's not very lucky.... No engine! :(