Author Topic: Interested in a X-COM style multiplayer game?  (Read 7314 times)

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Interested in a X-COM style multiplayer game?
« on: August 19, 2015, 01:52:43 am »
Hey there, X-COM veterans! Since the last thread went a little bit to technical the last weeks, here is another one for gathering a few more players for UFO2000. As many already noticed on the mod-page, Jo5hua put up a UFO2000 server a few weeks ago. Since then, the traffic and played matches on that server as well as on the official server didn't exactly go through the roof. But there's still life in the old lady. At least the download-counter did rise significantly, the last weeks and still there are matches played, even if not on every day. ATM Jo5hua's openxcom.com-server seems to be down. And I don't know when Jo5hua will have the time to get it up and running again. So it might not be the best idea, to start there. Nevertheless, the official server ufo2000.net is working fine for little bit more than five months, now. And it's being used, but a little bit to rarely, for my taste. I think, there are far more potentially interested people, who just need more people waiting for games on the server.

If you are interested in a human opponent, instead of good 'ol X-COM ai gameplay, UFO2000 is just the right game for you! It uses almost the exact same game mechanics, as X-COM. However, you play against a human player. I created a gameplay video, so that you can have a smooth start, knowing what to expect (suggestions are welcome, but please via PM!). If you want so see the game »in action«, you might also want to have a look at Jstank's video, where he got his *** kicked by UFO2000 veteran Hobbes (yes, the same Hobbes, who's around in this forums). If you should have troubles getting it to run, I did also two videos about how to set up the game properly, one for Windows, one for Linux. (If there's somebody out there, who might do that for MacOS as well, I'd be happy to place the links at the appropriate places.) If you need more maps, have a look at the file attached. Decompress the files in there into the »newmaps« folder of your UFO2000 installation. As X-COM-gamers you most likely have X-COM and TFTD laying around, which you will need, in order to use these maps. See also the setup videos, I made.

If you should decide to try the game, please keep in mind, that sometimes it might take a little time, until somebody connects to the server. So please be patient, while waiting on the server. You can always press F10, to switch from fullscreen to window mode, while waiting, and do something else. Also it is advised, not just to use the »anonymous«-nick. That's OK, for a quick test of connectivity, but if one player is already using that nick, you won't be able to connect.

For further information, you could always ask me (e. g. here), have a look at the ufopaedia, or enter the UFO2000 IRC-channel (#ufo2000). And I'd really love arranging games here, if somebody is interested in trying it. So if you're up for a game, just leave a note here or PM me, if shy.  ;)

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
Re: Interested in a X-COM style multiplayer game?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 03:09:52 pm »
I'd love to play some people. Unfortunately, real life prevents me from a lot of that.

Maybe I need to ditch OpenApoc, and build this  ;)

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 04:08:03 pm »
Yeah, real life can be a bitch. =) However, I play OpenXcom primarily, because I like the game mechanics, not because I like playing game against the AI. UFO2000 can be quite a change on that.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 06:55:04 pm »
OXCom multiplayer when? :) LAN & Hotseat too :)

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 10:31:56 pm »
Well, that'd probably even better, as from a technical point of view, I find openxcom far better. However, one would have to implement the networking part. But that was discussed somewhere else, already. It's not on anybody's schedule, now. Until then, ufo2000 will suffice for me. =) Which brings me to something I learned today, on ufo2000 server from a certain Vanya. There's an ufo2000 facebook group. I don't have a facebook account and I don't intend to get some. But for not logged in users, there's nothing to see. So I don't know, what's going on inside. As I was told, they seem to plan a tournament of some kind. 7k-rules, I presume. Can someone with a facebook account have a look there (and maybe persuade the owner, to make that damn site open for everyone to read, while he's at it), and maybe confirm that, or tell, when they agreed on an appointed time? I'd really love to see something like that happen.

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 12:50:19 pm »
A friend of mine got me the current posting list, and as it turns out, there hasn't been any decision on when exactly they wanna play. Only, that they'd need at least 10 players for the tournament. There's also a thread on that topic in UFO2000 forums. For further discussion on that, I'd recommend, writing there. Maybe it will make them go into more details in the openly readable UFO2000 forums, rather than discussing things in a closed FB group. So if you are interested in a little tournament, please show yourselves on the linked thread.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 10:11:13 pm »
A friend of mine got me the current posting list, and as it turns out, there hasn't been any decision on when exactly they wanna play. Only, that they'd need at least 10 players for the tournament. There's also a thread on that topic in UFO2000 forums. For further discussion on that, I'd recommend, writing there. Maybe it will make them go into more details in the openly readable UFO2000 forums, rather than discussing things in a closed FB group. So if you are interested in a little tournament, please show yourselves on the linked thread.

they should discuss this on the forum, not on facebook. Why do people actually use that? I never saw any use in it.

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 10:24:24 pm »
Exactly my point. I don't understand it, either. And I even less understand, why the heck it has to be a group, that cannot be read without an account. However, I'm not in a position, to tell them otherwise, as I don't have and want an account there.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 11:19:18 pm »
Nice to hear I'm not the only person on Earth who hasn't got a F*c*book account :)

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2015, 11:31:45 pm »
But this thread was never meant to be an anti-facebook-thread. =) It's more about getting some people to play UFO2000. And that tournament would be a nice change. So... is anybody up for the challenge?