Author Topic: [SOUND] Gifty's TFTD soundtrack!  (Read 8677 times)

Offline Gifty

• Colonel
    • View Profile
[SOUND] Gifty's TFTD soundtrack!
« on: August 18, 2015, 12:13:57 pm »
I have returned! After putting out my first music pack, I began tinkering away at a TFTD soundtrack for over a year and a half, just waiting for OpenXcom to support it. Once I saw that TFTD was in the nightlies I knew the time had come! I took advantage of TFTD's increased track list to make a pack even bigger than my last one, with three interception themes and six geoscape themes, just to name a few. Download is below! :)

For those less familiar, this is an all-original soundtrack replacement for TFTD, composed in a 90s "tracker" style very similar to music you may have heard in Unreal, Jazz Jackrabbit, or Deus Ex. It's meant to give you a fresh listening experience but also to send warm nostalgia tingles down your spine, if that's not too creepy. It was tons of fun and I hope you enjoy it!

DOWNLOAD: https://www.mediafire.com/download/1wq9l6b2v219wps/GiftysTFTDmus.zip

SAMPLE GEOSCAPE TRACK (click to listen): https://www.mediafire.com/listen/f7ac9o1uyh675yb/deep12.mp3
SAMPLE INTERCEPTION TRACK (click to listen): https://www.mediafire.com/listen/9rmpr0vi3y30mi4/DEEPINTER.ogg

INSTRUCTIONS: Since this is for TFTD, it goes without saying that you'll need one of the recent nightlies; the zip contains a folder named "TFTD", simply drop it in your OpenXcom directory and so that it replaces your existing TFTD folder. Simply delete the .OGG files in "SOUND" if my music starts to bug you!

I'd like to put this on the mod portal as well, but I'm having some weirdness with the file uploader, so this thread will have to do for now.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 12:25:32 pm by Gifty »

Offline Angelus_EV

• Colonel
  • Trust no one
    • View Profile
Re: [SOUND] Gifty's TFTD soundtrack!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 02:17:19 pm »
Hahaha, its super Retro!!!
good job.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 06:31:51 pm »
Thanks Gifty!!  This is really cool!! :)

Cheers, Ivan :D

Offline the_third_curry

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 08:45:23 pm »
Hahaha, its super Retro!!!
good job.

Very retro sounding indeed; it would feel at home on an SNES game.

I'll definitely be trying this. After growing up with the legitimately creepy and haunting sound of the PS1 X-com soundtrack, I could never stand the TftD soundtrack. It just feels very campy and B-movie, and it never set the right tone for the game in my opinion.

By the way, if you don't mind me asking Gifty, how do you make these soundtracks?

Offline Gifty

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 10:01:29 pm »
By the way, if you don't mind me asking Gifty, how do you make these soundtracks?

I loaded a huge folder of Amiga chipset samples into Ableton Live and used the sampler tool to make it sound like 90s tracker music. It's kind of cheating since I'm not using an actual tracker program, but this way I can use a bunch of higher quality effects and Ableton's nice interface makes things much quicker.

EDIT: whoops, there was an issue where only the GOOD debrief song would play, and the BAD one would get skipped over. That's just been fixed.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 10:48:09 pm by Gifty »

niculinux

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 10:12:41 pm »
Hey Gifty, may this track used for ufo enemy unknown? Also the new ufo soundtrack you made a while back cannot be used in TFTD? It's a technical issue and orr limitation in openxcom? I like this soundteack also!

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 02:45:29 am »
Yay, more Gifty music! :D

GMDEBPOR and GMLOSE sound the same. Bug or feature?