aliens

Author Topic: Rotated UFOs/buildings + TFTD landscapes to increase replay-ability  (Read 10136 times)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: Rotated UFOs/buildings + TFTD landscapes to increase replay-ability
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2015, 05:11:30 am »
Well i have pulled all the Vanilla variants from Luke83's extra UFO's and YetMoreUFO's into my mod, fixing some minor issues on the way.
So maybe i can just spit out those in a collection crediting everyone else and be done with it?
And adding SolarsNewUFOs also :>

For sure! A mod that would have all the alternate maps defined to just add them to the different types would be a great way of sharing back the resources without them being attached to some total conversions or something.

Offline hellblade

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2015, 08:41:00 am »
As OpenXCom is trying to be a faithful reproduction of the vanilla game, rotated UFO layouts would probably be outside the scope of the core game design.  This should really be done as a mod, I think.  ..And, indeed, there is a nice mod "lukes extra ufos" (just google it, and check the top two hits), which provides a huge huge number of extra UFO layouts.  Completely different layouts too, not just rotations.

There are some nice terrain packs there too, if you're after a bit more variety there too. :)

Thanks so much for all the info, from both you and the rest of the community.

No, I still want the vanilla game just want to see the UFOs rotated to give it a fresher look.  Don't really want brand new ufo layouts ... yet.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 08:42:43 am by hellblade »

Offline hellblade

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2015, 08:48:14 am »
Also, I do like the idea of the rotated UFO layouts, but the outside door has to be facing south-east or south-west. So rotation will just double the number of UFO layouts, not quadruple, unfortunately.

Exactly my point.  I think the others are mistaken thinking I want more variants of UFOs.  I just want the ufo facing another way with the original layout kept faithfully.  And I don't think there is a mod yet that does it.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2015, 10:28:34 am »
It's not like making back wall doors is technically impossible, it only requires some work on the MCDs. I don't know if it's worth the trouble, but it's certainly possible.

And regarding procedurally generated UFOs: this has already happened. Xcomutil did this. It worked as intended.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2015, 12:24:56 pm »
Exactly my point.  I think the others are mistaken thinking I want more variants of UFOs.  I just want the ufo facing another way with the original layout kept faithfully.  And I don't think there is a mod yet that does it.

Dear hellblade,
if you like i can put together the turned version of all the vanilla craft which are there, which would basically double the maps you will encounter.
The following maps do exist as turned Versions:
Medium Scout
Large Scout
Terrorship
Abductor
Harvester
Supply Ship

I could provide you with these, also add in a rulesetfile if you like and put these here in this thread for your enjoyment.

The thing is you would miss out a lot of the new interior designs, which so many people took the time to make and believe me they are really good.

So let me know if you wanna have the turned vanilla maps or not.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2015, 12:31:02 pm »
It's not like making back wall doors is technically impossible, it only requires some work on the MCDs. I don't know if it's worth the trouble, but it's certainly possible.

It's not only the doors, there are several wall tiles and other stuff which would need a north turned version also, like UFO Navigation tiles etc...
The main poitn thou is that those would barely be visible since the view angle from the player wouldn't really change.

And regarding procedurally generated UFOs: this has already happened. Xcomutil did this. It worked as intended.
Yes i XcomUtil did this, but to implement this in OpenXcom would require changeing the Source Code itself.
Maybe someone can digg out the XcomUtil Source Code and we then can try to reproduce this behaviour as a advanced Option.
One other question is, if it could be made so that you have a pool of maps (Maps of current mod+vanilla+10 spaces) the game then selects out of this pool, so can have the vanilla maps, the turned version or new interior ones or a randomly generated one.

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2015, 01:18:37 am »
im late to the party but this sounds promising