Author Topic: Soldier armor type which behave as HWP  (Read 6219 times)

Offline TopCat

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Soldier armor type which behave as HWP
« on: June 29, 2015, 01:08:01 am »
Armor type carried by soldier which is:
a) 4x4 tile size
b) calculated as HWP in craft payload
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 01:16:10 am by TopCat »

Offline doctor medic

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Soldier armor type which behave as HWP
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 10:50:19 pm »
Um this would be really weird

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 11:14:03 pm »
4x4? You'll need new crafts to carry those!

2x2 might work though.. I think Dioxine had plans to introduce some in Piratez if they ever become available.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 03:21:23 pm »
2x2 soldier armors. I have that done and tested for several months now, it was working perfectly on vanilla OXCom except there was no way of putting any weapons on such armors. The latter is possible on Extended, so having such armors in game is just a question of implementation - which has been slated for vague future, though (too many other pressing things to do). But the technical possibility is 100% there.

Offline doctor medic

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 03:56:44 pm »
So would be like a bike of some sorts?Small vehicles inside a skyranger seem fine with the HWP and all but the how will the game recognise them as 2 people inside?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 04:20:02 pm »
More like a mini-mecha, in my plans. And yes the game recognizes it as occupying 4 spaces.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 06:42:58 pm »
So would be like a bike of some sorts?Small vehicles inside a skyranger seem fine with the HWP and all but the how will the game recognise them as 2 people inside?
There's still only one person in the armor, it's just that it's really bigarmor, so that person takes 2x2 tiles on the battlescape (and 4 crew spaces), like a HWP.

Offline doctor medic

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 12:41:32 pm »
There's still only one person in the armor, it's just that it's really bigarmor, so that person takes 2x2 tiles on the battlescape (and 4 crew spaces), like a HWP.
Is it possible for it to take 2 spaces?

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 01:38:08 pm »
Is it possible for it to take 2 spaces?

not realistically, how would it rotate?

Offline doctor medic

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 10:08:48 am »
not realistically, how would it rotate?
Maybe it would be small enough for it to squeeze throught the skyranger?Or maybe even the lighting

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2015, 09:08:45 pm »
Maybe it would be small enough for it to squeeze throught the skyranger?Or maybe even the lighting

no, the point is something else: imagine a 1x2 (or 2x1) unit in the battlescape... now imagine it turning by 90 degrees. now imagine it turning by 90 degrees in a forest, or inside a house, or standing inside a doorway... a coding nightmare. also, 1x1 units can turn by 45 degrees... I'm not even getting into that. ;)

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2015, 12:05:06 am »
i think may be possible if you change loftemp on unit armor to be [ x , x ,x , x] or [x , x]
so when you mount a big armor it will look like a big ass unit. however will glitch the shit out of it or nothing will happen. i don't think the engine is prepared to do it. you want me to try it? i did it before changing loftemp on unit to make them invisible and works. technically speaking armors are unit graphics so whatever you can do on any unit you can do on armors that soldiers wear.

will glitch out cause the space the soldier takes is 1 in the craft. but if you have 10 ppl all wearing same armor they all gonna be inside each other being bigger than normal.  you won't be able to make them take hwp spaces. also what happens if you crouch or use special strafing or open doors. will confuse the engine. or not. dunno

another way you could do it is kill soldiers to make hwp out of them. make a special hwp that costs 1 soldier+credits to create.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 12:09:35 am by tollworkout »

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2015, 12:21:37 am »
You can't use soldiers for manufacturing since they are unique (how would it pick which one to use?). You could however make their corpses recoverable and make a HWP out of that.. Sort of the MEC suit from the new XCom, in a way that prevents you from just deliberately chopping off the arms and legs of a soldier.. so  more like 40k's space marines dreadnoughts.

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2015, 02:46:37 am »
you can but you can't pick . for the engine they are just a list of base items in fact are listed under items as they have a buy and sell price.

you wouldn't pick. one of your soldiers is removed and you get hwp. i mean test it out see if it works. if it's an item listed under items it should technically work. another way to do this is use an engineer or scientist instead of soldiers. 

in one of my mods i was using dead civilians or dead xcom operatives corpses (made the corpses  recoverable) . took human 1 corpse and various alien hwp corpses remains (as in spare parts) to make 1 special hwp. 
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 02:49:30 am by tollworkout »

Offline TopCat

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2015, 06:39:49 pm »
Small Update:

I make mistake in sizing :( I were thinking about 2x2 size (not 4x4... sorry) but at the beginning I have also thought about 2x1 size but I understand that rotation may be problem.

Simple to use current HVP solutions but as armor.
a) use HVP transporter limit
b) allow hard-code weapon with all pro and cons :
  - more ammo
  - better power
  - can't reload
  - can't use another weapon