Author Topic: Sleeping on a tire heap  (Read 4360 times)

Offline clownagent

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Sleeping on a tire heap
« on: August 09, 2015, 08:46:06 pm »
Interesting new feature in TFTD:

One of my  Aquanauts was standing in front of the door on the screen shot.
Then a civilian jumped on is head and he became unconscious.
Since he wanted to be undisturbed and sleep on soft ground he moved automatically one tile to the north-east to the tire heap and took a nap there. 

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: Sleeping on a tire heap
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 08:54:50 pm »
Always be careful when there are civilians above you with clear jumping paths, they love to jump on top of your soldiers. I think I've seen one heroic civilian taking out an alien this way too. It used to cause issue in the commendations mod and was dubbed "Goomba stomping" there.

It is OpenXCom's way of dealing with AI colliding with soldiers: Knock it out and move it one tile off (which tries "y-1" first, then clockwise around the initial position, like when you wake up an unconscious soldier).

I didn't think it would move your soldier to a tile with stuff on it though. Weird.

Offline Phoenix7786

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 09:36:43 pm »
Oh wow falling on targets actually causes damage? I'd have never guessed. Cool touch.

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
  • Back in the day it was gameplay not a feature....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 06:14:10 pm »
If I remember it correctly it is not damage but it stuns them. Could be wrong I havent played for a long time.

Offline clownagent

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 09:29:28 pm »
Yes, the victim just gets stunned.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 10:55:36 pm »
It is OpenXCom's way of dealing with AI colliding with soldiers: Knock it out and move it one tile off (which tries "y-1" first, then clockwise around the initial position, like when you wake up an unconscious soldier).

I didn't think it would move your soldier to a tile with stuff on it though. Weird.

it's possible, but it requires you not knowing the alien is there before you jump.

Offline Harald_Gray

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 02:48:06 pm »
Okay, I now have a horrific tale to warn you against this feature.

I've decided to give TftD a try and I was in the middle of a shipping attack mission. I've killed the last alien on the upper deck and the game crashed on me after I've closed the re-equip screen. No error message, nothing in the log, just a crash. o I've realoaded my last save, killed the last two aliens again and tried again. No crash this time, good, let's hope it will manifest again so somebody might track the cause but glad the mission is go.

We all know the deathtrap full of crates that is the deployment zone of a liner terror second stage. But I've killed all the aliens without losing anyone and ended my turn. And a girl in bikini jumped onto one of my aquanauts and the primed magna pack explosive in his inventory vent off. What followed was a model example of chain reaction going off, all the other primed explosives going off. Everyone dies.

Yep, that bikini babe killed my whole team (and herself).

Maybe that crash was RNG gods trying to tell me stop playing and go do something else...