Author Topic: New to OpenXCom, would like to provide Roland MT-32 captures  (Read 32671 times)

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: New to OpenXCom, would like to provide Roland MT-32 captures
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2015, 09:50:19 am »
I was told by Volutar once that 48k doesn't work properly (something with SDL). And that I should use 44k, 22k or 11k... the other options not.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2015, 03:47:37 pm »
Hmm... that is interesting.  44k is definitely off with these samples.  48k definitely sounds better.  But it does sound a little different to what I'm used to.  I should have these incorporated into Episode 5.   I'll ask for feedback from folks then. :)

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2015, 03:56:14 pm »
Here's the full quote from Volutar: "And please, don't use 8/16/32/48k samplerates. SDL can't resample signal properly, and 48khz is simply played with samplerate of 44100, so every SFX, including UI and battlescape sounds are gonna be high pitched. You don't want this. It doesn't related to recording or your mic compability."

I don't pretend to understand any of this... just saying.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2015, 03:58:06 pm »
Aha!  I get what you are saying! 

Some of the sounds to sound High pitched at that.   so its a SFX issue, not a music issue.

Hmm... I'll have to look at a work around.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2015, 07:57:42 pm »
Hmm... that is interesting.  44k is definitely off with these samples.  48k definitely sounds better.  But it does sound a little different to what I'm used to.  I should have these incorporated into Episode 5.   I'll ask for feedback from folks then. :)

So, I just tried it too. The music in this soundtrack sounds good only at 48khz... everything else sounds really horrible.
The SFX definitely sounds better at 44khz, but (to my ears) it doesn't sound that bad at 48khz either.

So either we use 48khz and live with different sounds... or maybe we could try re-encoding the music at 44khz... not sure if that helps, but that's the only thing that comes to my mind right now.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2015, 08:23:30 pm »
I did re-encode to 44k and its a good fit! :)  I'll work on getting it packaged and uploaded. :)

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
I've uploaded my sound pack.  Down sampled to 44.1 KHz everything sounds good. :)

Looks  like the file is too big for the forums and the Mod Site:  ::)

I threw it up on Google Drive.  I'm sure it can be down converted to a smaller format, but this is working fine for me.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3LA7DXD41YYUmpudDRTTE9na0k/view?usp=sharing

The new Readme:
Code: [Select]
April, 2015 - Ivan Dogovich

This is a revision of Skyhawk's MT32 Roland Music Pack.  I have converted these to 44.1 KHz sample so that it will work better with the

other SFX (sound effects) in the game due to the way SDL works in OpenXcom.  I simply opened the original .ogg files in audacity and

changed the project rate to 44100.  My default is set to .wav files as those work well for me, but they do make large files.  The end

result is files that are Much larger than the original .mid files or the new .ogg files.  But they do sound really cool in the game.

Install like any other OpenXCom Music Pack.

Extract the contents into <gamedirectory>/DATA/SOUND, overwriting as necessary.

In Game Options -> Audio set Music Format to WAV, or else make sure there are no other GM*.* files in the directory.
In Game Options -> Audio set Audio Sample Rate to 44100 Hz

Offline skyhawk

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2015, 05:45:40 am »
Alright, by popular demand I've released rev3. Unfortunately, as I do not have the original Audacity files used to create the pack, I've had to re-sample the previously-released .ogg files. These are high-quality .ogg files, like the original, so the disk space requirement is much lower than Ivan's uncompressed WAVs. I've also removed all directory structure from the archive, as that only serves to confuse the issue.

Dropbox

Code: [Select]
This is revision 3 of my OpenXCom Enemy Unknown MT-32 music pack.

Unless the developers give me a way to offset-loop music in the future, I do not expect there to be any future releases. Yes, that's what I said for revision 2.

Due to popular demand and apparent issues with 48KHz Playback in OpenXCOM that I haven't personally encountered, this release has been down-sampled to 44.1 kHz. As I no longer have the original Audacity cuts used to generate this release, this has been downsampled from the .ogg versions of revision 2.

There are three caveats:
1) Due to how it loops, the first second or so of the Interception music sounds a little lousy (reverb from just before the looping point).
2) The Cydonia briefing differs significantly from the General MIDI version of the same song, and sounds much more bare.
3) There is a police siren present during the opening sequence as played on a CM-32L or LAPC-I, that is not present on the MT-32.

---------------
Install like any other OpenXCom Music Pack:

Extract the contents into <datadirectory>/SOUND, overwriting as necessary.

In Game Options -> Audio, make the following changes:
set Music Format to OGG, or else make sure there are no other GM*.* files in the directory.
Set Audio Sample Rate to 44.1 KHz
---------------

Further details might be available at:
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=2270.0