Author Topic: [WIP] Chiko's Alternate Xcom  (Read 147718 times)

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
Re: New weapon graphics
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2012, 11:58:57 am »

Offline Chiko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2012, 03:49:38 pm »
Alien Biometric Sensors? There's a weapon in Jagged Alliance 2 that uses Biometric Sensor Technology to allow only 1 person to be able to use it.

@moriarty: Do you need a stun gas-based grenade or a stun blast one like the one fired from Small Launchers? I ask because there's a stun gas-based grenade sprite posted in Advanced Non-Lethal Weapons in the front page. I was thinking about a hand-thrown version of a Stun Bomb but it would be kinda redundant IMO... Maybe making a Stun Bomb able to be used as both a hand grenade and as ammo for the Small Launcher?

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2012, 08:45:02 am »
Wow, nice collection you have going , all i need now is a Handheld personal protection shield and maybe a hand held cloaking device and my dream X-com comes into reality :D

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2012, 11:07:35 am »
It seems every x-com fan has his own dreams, and they are sometimes very different of each other but also similar in a way :)
I am also fan of armor as an item (so you don't loose it when the unit dies), but a shield was not what I had in mind :p
And for your cloacking device, I had something similar:
In the marksman tree, the 5th perk is "camouflage: when the soldier is kneeling, it can only be seen from 4 tiles away", it is graphically shown as a soldier that is semi-transparent.
(yeah... my xcom got 20 perks in 4 skill trees :p... long story)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 11:10:21 am by Daiky »

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2012, 11:12:54 am »
Sorry that was a ENERGY shield not a Medieval  type Shield , My Bad.

Actually come to think about it a i can just see a Dwarf with a Big axe and shield working with the sectoids ;D Not sure how to spin the story to have it make sense though.

Your xcom sound pretty cool , i like the idea of some special skills along the way. i want a copy ;)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 11:15:19 am by luke83 »

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2012, 11:25:48 am »
now you mention it, some kind of portable fortification would actually be nice... it doesn't have to be a shield you carry yourself, but perhaps a true support-HWP (without a weapon of its own) that allows your soldiers to take cover behind it and has like ten times the armor value... for those times when you face off five cyberdisks simultaneously in a terror mission. it also prevents those awkward skyranger-door-opens-blaster-bomb-flies-in-everybody-dies moments... it's like a moving wall :)

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2012, 12:15:55 pm »
I was more thinking of the personal armor and flying suit as an item you can put on/off, pick up from a dead soldier  etc

Offline Chiko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2012, 05:27:21 pm »
Sure, I can make those shields. And no worries, I was thinking of shields more like the ones in Apocalypse. xD

Also, I have something a bit similar to those perk ideas in my Tech Tree of shorts. It's more like the "classes" and trainings in UFO afterlight.

Soldier
Scientist
Technician
Doctor

All of them being able to participate in Tactical Missions, some of them required for special missions. There are also new abilities, trainings and Specializations for each occupation. Naturally, there are new related buildings like Training Area and Medical Ward.

There's also a temporary occupation for idle personnel... they will be automatically assigned as General Workers. Generally, they slightly decrease Base maintenance costs. :P

Offline Chiko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2012, 07:16:41 am »
Man, it's good to have my lappy back. Sorry about the delay with those 2 new devices. :P

Motion Scanner / Personal Shield / Personal Cloaking

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2012, 07:32:37 am »
Your starting to get a nice little collection ;D

Offline Chiko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2012, 07:46:44 am »
Indeed. :P

I'll try to do more tomorrow. I have the morning off.

Offline Chiko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2012, 08:54:32 am »
Indeed. :P

I'll try to do more tomorrow. I have the morning off.
Well, not really lol.

My new job prevents me from being as active in here but if anyone is interested in posting ideas that need to be turned into sprites, I can still do that. Also, if anyone would like to use the sprites posted in the main page, just take them. Helping the modding communities is one thing I love as much as playing old games. ;D

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2012, 01:12:56 pm »
to pick up this thread: I thought I'd contribute a little bit. My concerns over copyright issues remain, but I guess as long as the game requires the original files, adding stuff as mods should be fine...

here's my version of the stun grenade. I'm not sure about the "stun gas" thing, because I don't remember reading anything about it being a gas. if it was a gas, why did it stun sectopods and cyberdiscs? and why did it use elerium? why wasn't there a lingering effect (like purple stun-smoke)? I always think of it as some kind of neural disruption effect, which would also affect the cybernetics of the advanced cybernetic terror units, but not the simple x-com tanks.

so I think the stun grenade should be more like a stun bomb with a direct fuse:

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2012, 12:23:31 am »
okay, I hope this also works with the other armor types (will have to check later), but here's the first edition of the Daiky/Chiko Combat Knife. maybe we should call it the DaiChi Knife, just to confuse people (wouldn't that mean something like "great power"?)

Offline michal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2012, 07:42:03 am »
DaiChi sounds cool :D But maybe instead of Knife call it Blade? DaiChi Blade would sound more mysterious ;)