aliens

Author Topic: Installation on Ubuntu  (Read 2648 times)

Offline MoonKid

• Captain
    • View Profile
Installation on Ubuntu
« on: August 09, 2015, 06:34:02 am »
Sorry, for asking such a basic question, but I think I missunderstand something. ;)

I have install "openxcom" from the PPA suggested on the Download page.
When starting this, it ask for XCOM-files. Of course, I understand that.

I have a original XCOM CD-Rom for Windows. Don't know if this is a "vanilla" Version. I don't know what "vanilla" means.

The CD is for Windows (more specific: old DOS). So I can I "install" that CD on an Ubuntu? How can I bring the original XCOM from the CD together with the "openxcom" on my ubuntu?

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: Installation on Ubuntu
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 06:58:30 am »
I have not done that, but I would expect that by simply browsing the files on the CD, you can find the folders you are looking for. They are likely just sitting there waiting to be copied during the installation.

If that's not the case, you can certainly use the CD to install on a Windows computer and then take the folders from that installation to use with OpenXCom on Linux. I had a backup of an installation on a windows hard drive, I used those files on Ubuntu and everything works well.

When we say "vanilla", it just mean "the unmodified standard", like vanilla ice cream flavour, the common, standard one compared to other fancier flavours.

niculinux

Re: Installation on Ubuntu
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 07:53:07 pm »
Very intterestin question. So, as far as i know micropose used to package its games in the '90 with a program named mps installer, so ghe files won't be accessible until you install the game :( But do not despair: use DOSbox and run the installer, once finished grab the files needed from the directory you installed the game.

Only one thing more: you need to mount a cdrom drive in order for dosbox to see the cd and read it (please refer to the manual or search the internet, it's very easy even i , managed to get the job done) or more simly copy the whole media content into a directory and run installer from there ;) That's all, but since i'm a complete incompetent in IT other tips would be wellcome!