aliens

Author Topic: Does anyone know about the 3DO version of TftD?  (Read 5009 times)

Offline the_third_curry

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Does anyone know about the 3DO version of TftD?
« on: August 19, 2015, 03:29:21 am »
I see it listed at a few places, but I've never seen any sign of it actually existing and I know absolutely no one who ever owned a 3DO. Was it cancelled?

niculinux

Re: Does anyone know about the 3DO version of TftD?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 03:30:40 pm »
According to gigantbobm.com the game for that platform was ported in 1996:  https://www.giantbomb.com/x-com-terror-from-the-deep/3030-3251/

but since 3DO died soon enoigh i wonder if some copies were sold :?

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 05:12:40 pm »
I never knew, that 3DO wasn't just a game publisher, but there was also a console with that name. Every day something new...

niculinux

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 06:08:51 pm »
I never knew, that 3DO wasn't just a game publisher, but there was also a console with that name. Every day something new...

It was a company that launched a same name (very unlucky)  cd console. :)

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 06:16:12 pm »
I only knew them from this game. Which I actually find quite nice, even today.

Offline the_third_curry

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 07:48:36 pm »
I knew 3DO for the Army Men games, and I think I played one of their High Heat baseball games once.

Not knowing about their console isn't too surprising; the thing was a disaster in every sense of the word. 3DO confused third-party developers by constantly making changes and tweaks to their system even as it neared its release date. They also didn't understand the concept of selling consoles at a lost and recuperating money through royalties. It went up against the Super Nintendo and the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive in 1993 with a release day price of $699 (though many retailers apparently sold it lower trying desperately to get rid of them), and it only had one launch title, which came packaged with the system. It cost more than the SNES and Genesis combined, and it ended up selling less than 1/4th of what the famously disappointing Sega Saturn did. The console's only classic was Gex, and that was ported to the PS1 later on.

The Wikipedia article provides a pretty good summary of exactly how badly things went.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3DO_Interactive_Multiplayer

niculinux

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 09:51:49 pm »
I only knew them from this game. Which I actually find quite nice, even today.

1998's uprising was probably the best game made by them. It also had a sequel in 200, uprising 2 but published not by them

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 09:55:57 pm »
And (imho) not half as good, as the first game. But I'd love to see a remake oder even an open source adaptation. Because the game principle was just nice. Never saw something similar again.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2015, 01:55:51 pm »
Dudes... Heroes of Might and Magic. This studio made the most popular game ever, at least in my country. :)

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2015, 06:36:41 pm »
Dudes... Heroes of Might and Magic. This studio made the most popular game ever, at least in my country. :)

<shamelessSelfPromotion>There's a bazilion Heroes of Might and Magic 3 videos on my YT channel, including multiplayer.</shamelessSelfPromotion>

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2015, 08:03:15 pm »
<shamelessSelfPromotion>There's a bazilion Heroes of Might and Magic 3 videos on my YT channel, including multiplayer.</shamelessSelfPromotion>

I know you are a bro.