Author Topic: TFTD "Mutation Technology"  (Read 3548 times)

Offline MKSheppard

• Colonel
    • View Profile
TFTD "Mutation Technology"
« on: August 07, 2015, 02:31:47 am »
From the original game box circa 1995:

So how do you think that'd work?

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: TFTD "Mutation Technology"
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 02:38:20 am »
Actually, as much as I love XCom, in this case I think they are making a huge point out of not very much.. The "Alien encyclopedia" is merely the UFOPaedia (or is it USOPaedia in TftD? I need to watch more of JStank LP..!).

In the UFOPaedia, there are articles that talk about some of the aliens, which are mutants, and some of the alien technology, some of which is used to make mutants, maybe, so the "Alien encyclopedia features mutation technology". A bit underwhelming, really.

If you were thinking about mutating your soldiers, I'd say it would work very much like XCom:2012, except that the engine is not really able to do much more than buff stats, maybe have a "flippers" mutation that allows the soldier to "fly" underwater regardless of which armor they are wearing, or give better underwater vision range in the dark through a sonar mutation (like dolphins).

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 03:59:16 am »
Mutation technology most likely refers to the alien sub components that are used to turn humans into aliens like Biodrones or Deep Ones. Probably at an early stage the designers thought that XCom would be able to use that tech but their plans didn't make the final product.

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 04:22:24 am »
a ufo underwater is traditionally called a uso so yea usopedia