aliens

Author Topic: New Psi abilities  (Read 7019 times)

Offline Malekron

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
New Psi abilities
« on: June 27, 2015, 10:22:03 pm »
I am curious if new psionic abilities can be added to the Psi Amp (or a alternative Psi Amp like device), if yes here are some ideas...

Killing Thought

Ability : A psionic ability that causes 20 damage (ignores armour)-instant kill on use.

Psionic Shield

Ability: A psionic ability that grants a shield to protect against incoming fire for 2 turns (300% armour bonus on all body parts).

Psi Conceal

Ability: A smoke screen like psionic ability that renders units under its 5x5 area invisible and protects against psionic attack.

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: New Psi abilities
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 11:52:31 am »
Mindread: 1-2 Rounds seeing what a Unit sees, no control, more likely than control, less than panic

Personal scan: like Mindprobe, just. cheaper

Offline KiethSomataw99

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 09:16:21 am »
Mindfray: target must make a psionic test or take damage up to the user's average of psi skill & strength, ignoring armor but causing no fatal wounds. However, the target will suffer statistical and morale damage just like any other source of damage. Also, the target's psi strength will be reduced temporarily, leaving the target more vulnerable to psionic attacks. Easier than mind control, harder than psi panic.

Psi Inspire: a defensive power that always succeeds, the target friend recovers morale and stops panicking or going berserk. Furthermore, the target's psi strength is temporarily increased.

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 09:47:17 am »
And one thing I already read here, somewhere:
Psi-Scout.
Much like a motion scanner but working on every unit, regardless if moving or not.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 09:48:43 am »
Why do you want to make already extremely overpowered Psi even more overpowered? I don't get it...

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 10:03:02 am »
I'd say: more versatile and more useful in the beginning of psi-usage. The mind-control, that's the overpowered thing. With 4 fully trained psi-soldiers you won't have any difficulties to obliterate an entire base or battle-ship, that's true. But you won't change that by other options, as nobody will use, let's say, psi-scouting or mindread, when using mind-control. But more options, especially in the beginning, that'd be nice.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 10:56:24 am »
Hmm, so these things should work effectively even with crappy psi strength/skill?
(otherwise you can just use mind control, right?)

Then it's even more OP than I originally thought.
But I guess one man's meat is another man's poison... maybe a lot of people would like it.

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 12:05:33 pm »
Hmm, so these things should work effectively even with crappy psi strength/skill?
Not necessarily. Depending of the impact on the game, I'd say. I don't know, how the balance will change in the end, when you have an option to see through the eyes of an enemy unit or if you can "feel" them around you. But if it turns out to be a really powerfull option, it'd be right to increase TU-cost and/or lower success rate. One thing I believe will be uses even in late game, is the feel-option. It's one thing to mc units you can see. But it's an additional advantage to feel them as well. Could go hand in hand. However, it'd be limited in range, like the motion scanner. So that way, you wouldn't create map control (which really really would be imba) that easily.
Then it's even more OP than I originally thought.
It's a question of TU-cost and probability of success. The feel-option could cost 80% TUs, with rather big probability. But you'd still need LOS to mc the unit. You'd only be aware of it's postion, not the direction, where it's facing towars.

On the other hand, mind-scouting isn't that powerfull, so let it be 25 TUs or 40% TUs, but with a rather higher risk of failure somewhere inbetween control and panic. One can play around with that until it fits well.
But I guess one man's meat is another man's poison... maybe a lot of people would like it.
Exactly. A mod of some kind would be sufficient. Those who like it, can use it. The others don't need to.

Offline Malekron

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 07:29:59 pm »
Psionic Reanimation resurrects corpses for 3 turns for fighting or scouting.

Offline doctor medic

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 11:19:02 am »
Psionic Reanimation resurrects corpses for 3 turns for fighting or scouting.
well that isnt OP at all

Offline mrxian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 09:30:00 pm »
How about...
Brain Fart. Targeted enemy loses intelligence and may forget about enemy locations.

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 02:57:02 pm »
Apart from tha name it is not a terrible idea  ;D

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2015, 11:51:32 pm »
This topic by Daiky:
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,225.0.html

Another one:
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,2071.0.html

New ideas are always nice, but perhaps this thread should be merged with one of these two?

Offline Malekron

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2015, 02:13:35 am »
This topic by Daiky:
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,225.0.html

Another one:
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,2071.0.html

New ideas are always nice, but perhaps this thread should be merged with one of these two?

OK