aliens

Author Topic: TFTD research issues  (Read 5967 times)

Offline wsmithjr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
TFTD research issues
« on: August 05, 2015, 08:01:43 am »
Does OXC have the same research issues/problems as the original TFTD?  Specifically, if I research a Live Deep One too early, will I lose the ability to get more powerful armors and techs needed to finish the game, like the original.  Or has this been fixed in OXC?

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: TFTD research issues
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 09:47:13 am »
why would we go out of our way to deliberately replicate all the original game breaking bugs?

Offline DracoGriffin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Steam: DracoGriffin
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 02:28:59 pm »
why would we go out of our way to deliberately replicate all the original game breaking bugs?

A deliberately funny prank that missed the April 1st deadline?

To be honest, it would be pretty funny if there was a setting "Original TFTD Research Bugs: Yes/No".

Offline wsmithjr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 02:48:41 pm »

Sorry.  I didn't mean to offend anyone.  I just hadn't seen anything said about it so thought it was worth asking.  My thought was "was the EXTRA effort put into fixing these issues?" rather than "testing of vanilla TFTD ... before you all decide to mod the crap out of it." 

Thanks for the answer.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 03:20:14 pm by wsmithjr »

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 03:40:31 pm »
Modding pressure has given a lot of work to coders with their exotic needs, but at least they have provided many test cases of research dependency which don't happen in vanilla UFO.
So by the time TFTD rules were tested, the engine was already pretty foolproof.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 03:44:20 pm »
Sorry.  I didn't mean to offend anyone.  I just hadn't seen anything said about it so thought it was worth asking.  My thought was "was the EXTRA effort put into fixing these issues?" rather than "testing of vanilla TFTD ... before you all decide to mod the crap out of it." 

Thanks for the answer.

no need to apologize no offense taken, i hope there was none taken on your part either.
but yeah, it would actually have taken effort on our part to put that in, i guess i forget not everyone can see the matrix sometimes.
none of the original research problems should occur in openxcom, i personally tested for every one.
that all said, if you _DO_ find a research bug, or find yourself in a no-win scenario, by all means PLEASE DO report it, and provide a save, because i am by no means infallible.

Offline wsmithjr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 05:05:43 pm »
We're all good.  Thanks.  8)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 07:25:49 pm »
Modding pressure has given a lot of work to coders with their exotic needs, but at least they have provided many test cases of research dependency which don't happen in vanilla UFO.
So by the time TFTD rules were tested, the engine was already pretty foolproof.

Quoting Dioxine, modding research is like black magic - things work, but in many cases it's impossible to know how they work exactly.

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Any word on openTFTD's progress?
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 02:04:46 am »
Glad to see that the dye grenade is now worth using as it was completely shit in the original. Will love to see how the hallucinoid's ranged attack works in practice as it annoyed me in the original because of the following from ufopedia.org:

Bugs

The Hallucinoid possesses a ranged attack but, due to bug or design error, it seems this weapon works only on land. Since Hallucinoids do not appear on land, chances are you won't see it used. This also seems to interfere with Hallucinoids' behaviour, since they aren't nearly as aggressive as a melee-only creature should be. The fact that they are among the most valuable aliens in the game in terms of Victory Points also lends credence to the theory that they were meant to have a ranged attack.

Just done a test there with nightly 2015-08-05-2100 and they still seem to only have a melee attack but I suppose once the developers get the main bug issues out of the way they'll get to fine tuning for things like this in due course.
Really looking forward to giving this a try though I want to wait until there a good few mods specifically for TFTD or ones that will work from UFO. Maybe even wait until Openxcom 2.0 comes out.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 02:26:15 am »
The Hallucinoids with ranged attack will have to be a mod.  Though the UFOpedia does indeed state that they have a ranged attack, all of the source code shows nothing of the sort.  Therefore, Warboy elected to stay with the Vanilla Hallucinoid as presented in the original TftD.   It shouldn't be hard to mod, but it will have to be a mod if players want to make the creature match the the Ufopedia entry.