aliens

Author Topic: Stunblaster  (Read 4024 times)

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
Stunblaster
« on: July 31, 2015, 02:11:56 pm »
Version 1.1 attached, updated for post 2015-05-07

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Stunblaster
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 02:49:14 pm »
For the not-so-curious, from the readme:
This a simple mod that adds a proximity stun grenade to your manufacturable items once the appropiate research has been done
It is placed after stun bomb (and even requires a stun bomb to manufacture), so it doesn't affect the balance of early game.

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 04:32:07 pm »
What I had in mind was a proximity/stun device to at least soften up mutons and ethereals. Using it in my current game of hardmode v0.90 but I'm only in February at present so we'll see how useful it can be. Previous experience has shown it is quite useful for live captures when you don't want to risk rushing the ufo. Nicked the graphics from other modders so credit goes to them, have no idea how to create them myself. That's why it's exactly the same look in game as a proximity grenade. If anyone has any spare graphics lying about I'll consider using them to make this mod feel a bit more unique and distinct ie version 2.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 09:19:55 am »
What I had in mind was a proximity/stun device to at least soften up mutons and ethereals. Using it in my current game of hardmode v0.90 but I'm only in February at present so we'll see how useful it can be. Previous experience has shown it is quite useful for live captures when you don't want to risk rushing the ufo. Nicked the graphics from other modders so credit goes to them, have no idea how to create them myself. That's why it's exactly the same look in game as a proximity grenade. If anyone has any spare graphics lying about I'll consider using them to make this mod feel a bit more unique and distinct ie version 2.

You know there are flashbang grenades in my mod, which do stun damage, and you can stack them on a alien to ensure a capture. Which sprites do you used?

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 02:42:14 pm »
Yep but they work like ordinary grenades and my style of play has the instant grenades option always on as its useful IMHO to be able to just drop a preprimed smoke grenade  for cover but I wanted something that had to be triggered by the aliens walking into range. Here's an extract from the rul file:

ufopaedia:
  - id: STR_STUN_BLASTER
    type_id: 4
    section: STR_WEAPONS_AND_EQUIPMENT
    text: STR_STUN_BLASTER_UFOPEDIA
  - type: BIGOBS.PCK
    files:
      106: Resources/StunBlaster/StunBlaster.gif
  - type: FLOOROB.PCK
    files:
      86: Resources/StunBlaster/floorob_StunBlaster.gif
extraSprites:
  - type: SMOKE.PCK
    height: 40
    width: 384
    subX: 32
    subY: 40
    files:
      8: Resources/Stun_Blaster/SMOKE/smoke_cloud.gif

And attached is the resources folder of stunblater. I know it's not pretty and could do with a lot of tweaking especially for it to have unique graphics of its own but on the positive side it works as intended, crude but effective.

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 04:51:42 pm »
Just updated the .rul file so that the ufopedia topic doesn't appear before research is completed.