aliens

Author Topic: Aid for players  (Read 10033 times)

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
Aid for players
« on: July 30, 2015, 01:24:36 pm »
I have done a spreadsheet which can be used as an aid to know whether or not you're going to clip one of your other troops when shooting and several regarding psionics. Be aware though the psionic spreadsheets are for Hardmode v0.90. DO NOT USE if you think this takes the surprise out of playing. In the case of the psionic ones these will indirectly give away the psi strength and psi skill of all the aliens.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Aid for players
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 04:31:58 pm »
I have done a spreadsheet which can be used as an aid to know whether or not you're going to clip one of your other troops when shooting and several regarding psionics. Be aware though the psionic spreadsheets are for Hardmode v0.90. DO NOT USE if you think this takes the surprise out of playing. In the case of the psionic ones these will indirectly give away the psi strength and psi skill of all the aliens.

...odt? :'(

Offline nadir-1648

• Captain
  • Oh yes, this is going to be dreadful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 04:34:40 pm »

...odt? :'(

It's in OpenDocument format?

... People use that??  :o

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 04:49:20 pm »
Using libre office v4.4 at present on my pc, this is the format they're saved in. Have attached versions saved in "Microsoft Word 2007/2010/2013 XML (.docx)" format. Let me know it these versions are okay as I can't open word format to check.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 04:58:55 pm »
These are fine, thank you!

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 05:14:46 pm »
I thought excel could open .odt files?! If not, then yet again Microsoft imposes itself through it's own limitations. Maybe they should rebrand themselves as "The Advent"...

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 03:18:01 am »
google docs can open odt

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2015, 11:57:46 pm »
Since I'm hoping to start a run through of FMP v1.71 soon I have done out a spreadsheet (BIG SPOILER) and graphs for the percentage chances of mind control or being mind controlled. I think the graphs are a useful aid in determining whether or not to attempt psi. Since one of the variables in the psionic equation is distance I decided to set that as 20 squares for the player attempting mind control and 1 square for the aliens as that is as bad as bad can get. Please don't use or even download if you think these spoil things too much! I've added a .doc version for anyone who can't open the odt version.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 12:10:07 am by SIMON »

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 08:32:41 am »
guys you can all open ODT files using google docs / google drive. simply  place your odt file in drive if you use it or if not type google docs and OPEN/UPLOAD the document and is as easy as using ms office

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2015, 02:24:12 pm »
guys you can all open ODT files using google docs / google drive. simply  place your odt file in drive if you use it or if not type google docs and OPEN/UPLOAD the document and is as easy as using ms office

Or we could use a format that is actually common and easy to use. :P

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 04:43:05 pm »
Can't word open odt's ?? It might not be the default "I'm dumb and can only double-click" program to do so, but if you right click on the document and say "open with" ?

odt stands from open-document text. It is not a proprietary format so Microsoft should know how to make Word handle it... I understand they want to push their own proprietary stuff, but it seems weird they would limit themselves (no, can't open open-documents! You gotta use our own secret format! -> If I can't open everything, why would I bother with you?!).

I'll have to try next time I boot my computer in Windows at work..

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2015, 04:47:27 pm »
I'm in the middle of doing the psionic graphs for v0.8c of redux atm, but I could upload them in word format as well as odt format if that'll be easier for people?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2015, 07:43:29 pm »
Can't word open odt's ?? It might not be the default "I'm dumb and can only double-click" program to do so, but if you right click on the document and say "open with" ?

It can, but if it's anything more complicated than plain text, there are weird effects. Sometimes it doesn't matter, sometimes it does.

Since Open Office can save files in .doc, I personally think it'd be best to stick with it, since MS Word is not as good with .odt.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2015, 08:25:19 pm »
Fair enough, I like .doc too, as long as nobody adds an x at the end of that.. ;)

Offline DeltaEpsilon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2015, 10:11:18 am »
You certainly didn't have to use ODT if the only content is an image/chart.
Spoiler: