aliens

Author Topic: Summer Games Done Quick 2015 - Speedrunning OpenXcom  (Read 5034 times)

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
Summer Games Done Quick 2015 - Speedrunning OpenXcom
« on: July 28, 2015, 04:52:14 am »
Anyone else wishing they would speedrun OpenXcom in the middle of the night (USA time)? I say midnight is the best time for the majority of the audience who don't wanna stick around for the more time consuming niche games today. I just want to see how someone would play the game in a speedrun mindset. They would be clicking so fast at equipping operatives and buying/selling stuff, with the perfect strategy to get to the end without losing that much. I wonder what difficulty the speedrunner would pick.

Anyone else think it's possible to speedrun this kind of game, or even just X-COM? It would be fun to watch regardless since it would be shown off to a larger audience. What do you guys think?

Offline NeptunesNookGames

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
Re: Summer Games Done Quick 2015 - Speedrunning OpenXcom
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 06:38:16 am »
You mean something like this?  It's the original but still pretty impressive, I wonder how many reloads it took him  :P

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 07:09:00 am »
Too bad we can't see when the saves were made in the old game.. That would give an indication of how much work making this video has been.

This is insane. And you can see that he's tried things and scouted, he knows full well were he's going before he even goes anywhere, with everything as close as possible. Capturing just the right aliens (and surviving return fire) in the bases is insanely unlikely!

Great find!

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 06:32:22 pm »
Yeah,  for the commander capture, he had to attempt the base assault multiple times before one spawned near the entrance.   I tried a couple test speed runs of OpenXcom last summer and quickly gave up.  The save scumming involved just isn't worth it for me.

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 09:01:56 am »
I feel OXC would be played if it were a fan favorite. With it having so much rng, meaning random spawns, and everything else part of the game, it wouldn't be played otherwise.

Now if donors put money into speedrunning OpenXcom, who do you think would be best suitable for this challenge? Maybe one of you guys here would be able to take the heat. I know I couldn't. speedrunning this game sounds like too much pressure. I prefer to take my time in most games. The only game I've ever speedruned was SMB. Deluxe on my GBC. I could beat it in 4.09 minutes.

Btw, the best part of these shows are the glitches. I would love to see one for vanilla x-com UD.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 01:12:38 pm »
Another World for me (known also as Out Of This World), PC. I've played it so much as a kid that I was able to routinely finish it during the long break in school (10-15 minutes of gameplay) without dying. It's probably far worse than record time, but here it is :). About Xcom, speedrunning the game, while looks cool, seems like an unholy amount of tedium...

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 06:46:27 pm »
I wonder how fast one could do an ironman game. No savescumming, but still speed playing: Skip terrors and UFOs you don't need, only research what you need to make it to Cydonia and kill the brain as fast as possible.

I've just launched a vanilla game and things are taking a LOT longer than I anticipated.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 08:05:04 pm »
I wonder how fast one could do an ironman game. No savescumming, but still speed playing

Just as fast as this guy did... assuming you play a large enough number of campaigns. Assuming this guy re-loaded 10 times on average on each segment, you'd have around 1 : 100 billion (10 to the power of 11) chance of finishing the game in similarly short time :) ...Probably you need to decrease that chance by at least a factor of 10 since you'd have no knowledge of which alien is which (for capturing leader and commander). That's why speedplaying relies on savescumming - else it'd be an excercise far exceeding human lifespan... unless someone has insane luck :)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 08:07:05 pm by Dioxine »

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2015, 09:17:43 pm »
10 times for some of those results is very little savescumming. Getting both a leader and a commander as the only 2 aliens you see in a base, almost straight off the elevator?!

But what I meant is that I'd like to see someone (Meridian?) do a "ASAP LP", for "As Short As Possible" ;) Bonus points if they don't waste time with armors and weapons and manage to storm Cydonia in coveralls with rifles! (or probably rocket launchers..!)