aliens

Author Topic: [Question] Live alien can only be researched once.  (Read 4849 times)

Offline Harald_Gray

• Colonel
    • View Profile
[Question] Live alien can only be researched once.
« on: July 26, 2015, 08:04:14 pm »
I'm testing a new mod and I've run into a problem that's leaving me confused. I can only research captured aliens once and I don't see anything in the code that should be causing this. I have two individuals of the same type in a base and when I research one, the other remains and can even be sold but not re-researched. Let me post relevant parts of the code.
Code: [Select]
items:
  - type: STR_ARMOREDALIENS_SNAKEMAN_NAVIGATOR
    size: 0.0
    recover: true
    liveAlien: true
    costSell: 60000

Code: [Select]
research:
  - name: STR_ARMOREDALIENS_SNAKEMAN_NAVIGATOR
    cost: 10
    needItem: true
    unlocks:
      - STR_ALIEN_ORIGINS
      - STR_ARMOREDALIENS_SNAKEMAN
  - name: STR_ARMOREDALIENS_SNAKEMAN
    cost: 10
    dependencies:
      - STR_ARMOREDALIENS_SNAKEMAN_SOLDIER
      - STR_ARMOREDALIENS_SNAKEMAN_NAVIGATOR
      - STR_ARMOREDALIENS_SNAKEMAN_ENGINEER
      - STR_ARMOREDALIENS_SNAKEMAN_LEADER
      - STR_ARMOREDALIENS_SNAKEMAN_COMMANDER

I don't even remember how many variations I've tested and it never works. I've even tried to copy my own code from a working mod and while the original code works, the new one doesn't.  My code unlocks the new research, as it should, but no matter what I do, or what getOneFree items I add, the game never offers me the option of researching that armored navigator (or any other of the new aliens) again. Anyone has an idea what might be causing this?

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [Question] Live alien can only be researched once.
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 08:15:55 pm »
Yeah, I noticed that as well.
And myk002 told me he is 100% sure it is in the code somewhere.

Offline DracoGriffin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Steam: DracoGriffin
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 09:30:36 pm »
Looking at Piratez/X-Piratez may be useful... sounds like you may have already but you can definitely research live aliens multiple times (until all research they provide is already unlocked... maybe that's an issue?)

Offline Harald_Gray

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 09:54:36 pm »
Well, I've literally copied code from my own working mod, changed the names to fit the new mod (using Ctrl+c -> Ctrl+v like an idiot so it's not a typo), and that same code no longer works in the newer mod. I've even enabled both mods at the same time and one works and the other doesn't. I've fiddled with this and that and tried a dozen variations on a theme and the result stays the same.

Not to mention the fact that in vanilla, you can research a dozen sectoid navigators in a row even if there's nothing new you can learn from them.

*That's* why I'm so confused. *Something* has to be causing this and its either a very obscure bug or, more likely, something I'm by now blind to.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 10:24:11 pm »
From my experience, it is simply impossible to have 2 research of the same name opened at the same time, whether alien or an artifact. It's an OXCom thing.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 11:17:45 pm »
How I understood the question was that he has let's say 2 live floater soldiers.

He researches the first one... gets alien origins and floater info... then he still has one more floater soldier in the alien containment, but cannot research him anymore (because it cannot unlock anything else).

If that was the problem... then that is a correct behaviour, not a problem.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 03:37:25 am »
From my experience, it is simply impossible to have 2 research of the same name opened at the same time, whether alien or an artifact. It's an OXCom thing.

a single base can't research the same thing twice simultaneously. it was the same in the original xcom, it's the same in xcom 2012, it's not an "OXCom thing", it's a logical thing.

Not to mention the fact that in vanilla, you can research a dozen sectoid navigators in a row even if there's nothing new you can learn from them.

i think you're thinking of leaders and commanders? their research is always available until you've completed the martian solution and cydonia or bust respectively, but i don't think the same was true for others.

He researches the first one... gets alien origins and floater info... then he still has one more floater soldier in the alien containment, but cannot research him anymore (because it cannot unlock anything else).

this. if there's nothing to be gained from the research, why research it? why even have it available?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 11:04:44 am by Warboy1982 »

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 04:01:48 pm »
That's probably the good thing. In vanilla X-Com, I was often annoyed, when there was the possibility to research aliens, even when there was nothing to be gained by it, any more. You wasted your time on aliens, bringing you no information at all. Then better not show them in research at all, instead of wasting your time.

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 11:20:03 am »
That's probably the good thing. In vanilla X-Com, I was often annoyed, when there was the possibility to research aliens, even when there was nothing to be gained by it, any more. You wasted your time on aliens, bringing you no information at all. Then better not show them in research at all, instead of wasting your time.

^this